Another NX-Studio build

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: Another NX-Studio build
« Reply #60 on: 31 Jan 2022, 07:57 am »
Hi Peter,
The sizing I used was Rolco quick set sizing. Usually ready in 1-3 hours and flows pretty smooth but it does go on a tiny bit thick if cold so it got a tiny bit heavy on the edges. One tip would be to warm it up in front of a heater for a bit and then it lays down a bit smoother. I forgot that step yesterday.

http://www.rolcolabs.com/products/GildingSizes/Default.asp

One tip when doing any stencils or leafing is using a color blender (clear basecoat) to cap over everything prior to clearcoating. It helps to lock down some more sensitive materials for the "in case s#!+" purposes. I put 2 coats of PPG VWM500 down over everything just to make sure it was all tucked in nicely before I clearcoated. The VWM500 is one that is compatable with both their solvent and waterborne basecoats. If you are only spraying solvent basecoat go ahead and save yourself some $ and use DBC500. Works the same just doesnt really have the compatability with waterborne basecoat.

As for the top, I'm spraying the ramp and the backside of the front baffle in a satin black to go along with black cloth covers. I don't intend to listen with the covers on, but it'll hopefully look like a vinyl top to a hot rod while they're sitting there.

https://www.semproducts.com/product/trim-black/black#product-details

kwhitman

« Reply #61 on: 31 Jan 2022, 04:20 pm »
Super awesome job :thumb:  Those are absolutely stunning!  Great job!!!!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #62 on: 1 Feb 2022, 02:27 pm »
Hi Peter,
The sizing I used was Rolco quick set sizing. Usually ready in 1-3 hours and flows pretty smooth but it does go on a tiny bit thick if cold so it got a tiny bit heavy on the edges. One tip would be to warm it up in front of a heater for a bit and then it lays down a bit smoother. I forgot that step yesterday.

http://www.rolcolabs.com/products/GildingSizes/Default.asp

One tip when doing any stencils or leafing is using a color blender (clear basecoat) to cap over everything prior to clearcoating. It helps to lock down some more sensitive materials for the "in case s#!+" purposes. I put 2 coats of PPG VWM500 down over everything just to make sure it was all tucked in nicely before I clearcoated. The VWM500 is one that is compatable with both their solvent and waterborne basecoats. If you are only spraying solvent basecoat go ahead and save yourself some $ and use DBC500. Works the same just doesnt really have the compatability with waterborne basecoat.

As for the top, I'm spraying the ramp and the backside of the front baffle in a satin black to go along with black cloth covers. I don't intend to listen with the covers on, but it'll hopefully look like a vinyl top to a hot rod while they're sitting there.

https://www.semproducts.com/product/trim-black/black#product-details

Thanks. I guess I figured it was something other than conventional sizing when under auto paint. It sounds like those blenders are kinda the automotive equivalent of shellac, which has been my go-to in the past as a barrier coat. I've been using the Trim Black for some time...really versatile stuff.
I'm excited to see your end result, but appreciate that you're taking your time to get it right. Rushing better left to football.

Captainhemo

« Reply #63 on: 1 Feb 2022, 07:34 pm »
Top notch  man,   they  look  amazing :thumb:
Blue reminds  me  a bit of the  Agean Blue pair of  Super Mini's we did for  Rich (HAL) a few years back but  we didn't  doo the  candy  or the additional shading of the  waveguides.
Love all the extra  attention  you  are  giving  these

jay

nlitworld

« Reply #64 on: 2 Feb 2022, 12:52 am »
I remember those speakers. I believe he did a Honda cool pearly blue similar in color. That was when I was first getting introduced to high end audio and seeing OB stuff and I was so confused what I was looking at when he showed me photos. Those turned out fantastic though. Super clean and no ability to hide anything, much like the speakers themselves.  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #65 on: 2 Feb 2022, 01:23 am »
Man, you speakers are going to look as good as they sound.  Killer job!  I seriously wish I had skills at that level :thumb:

nlitworld

« Reply #66 on: 2 Feb 2022, 02:37 am »
The funny thing is I keep finding little issues and defects of something or another and nitpicking the crap out of it. When your career is selling paint and training body shops on how to do better work, it's hard to not nitpick everything. It's funny that my wife now does the same when looking at cars. :lol: Constant perfectionist mentality probably lends itself to the audio nervosa of gear improvement as well. Haha. Even still, I'm happy enough with the way they turned out and I really want to get them back together and crack the music. If the little things that only I pick out from a close distance really bug me, then I'll just turn the lights off and listen in the dark. 8)

Now time to get back out there for sanding and polishing.

-Lloyd

hawkeyejw

« Reply #67 on: 2 Feb 2022, 06:43 pm »
Man these look so nice! The stenciling really put them over the top. Outstanding job!

nlitworld

« Reply #68 on: 6 Feb 2022, 02:59 am »
Quickie update cause I'm excited and exhausted. Spent 9 hours in the garage today on the final push to finish polishing and spray the trim black and now THEY'RE DONE for paint work. Tonight I'll cut out the no-rez and finish assembly tomorrow so I'll be blasting music by the afternoon.

Hope you're all enjoying the weekend as much as I am. My face is going to hurt from smiling tomorrow. So excited.

-Lloyd

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #69 on: 6 Feb 2022, 03:17 am »
Those look like they deserve some kind of prize for going all out with the GR logos…come on Danny throw the guy a bone  :lol:

Listening to my Studios as I type. You’ll be greatly rewarded soon.

RolandButcher

« Reply #70 on: 6 Feb 2022, 04:16 am »
How important is it to have the no-res on that sloped portion behind the tweeter? Has anyone tested it with and without?

nlitworld

« Reply #71 on: 6 Feb 2022, 05:14 am »
I had to test drive the speakers before I started painting color. Without the no-rez you could hear it sound a weird echo in the treble and definitely heard some cabinet resonance from male voices. Wasn't hugely noticable in some music, but absolutely noticable with plain speaking or any isolated cymbal hits. Just had a weird ringing sizzle that you I didn't notice immediately but couldn't unhear it after I did notice. I'll definitely have the no-rez up ob the top ramp. Grills on top will be on when not critically listening or watching TV, but top is coming off if it's time to actually listen.

RonP

« Reply #72 on: 6 Feb 2022, 02:12 pm »
Quickie update cause I'm excited and exhausted. Spent 9 hours in the garage today on the final push to finish polishing and spray the trim black and now THEY'RE DONE for paint work. Tonight I'll cut out the no-rez and finish assembly tomorrow so I'll be blasting music by the afternoon.

Hope you're all enjoying the weekend as much as I am. My face is going to hurt from smiling tomorrow. So excited.

-Lloyd

damn. that reflection in the the paint job. just WOW!

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #73 on: 6 Feb 2022, 06:51 pm »
By far,
The best color & paint scheme of any NX STUDIO'S I've seen. In this case, less is more, not overdone with graphics all over the place. Very tastefully done!

Don't forget to put your Norman Rockwell signature on them! :thumb:

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #74 on: 6 Feb 2022, 09:20 pm »
Huge fan of this build. What did you use for the clear/piano finish?

Robert

nlitworld

« Reply #75 on: 6 Feb 2022, 11:51 pm »
Hi Robert
Since I manage automotive paint stores, I just used regular car painting materials. Specifically these were done in PPG DCU2042 clearcoat. My favorite clear (and one I wish I had laying around for this) is from BASF in their Diamont line and that's DC5335 Glamour Clear. That one is by far my favorite for all out best appearance and easiest clear to use, but I didn't have any around the house.

Also, stick a fork in it cause they're done! Finally finished the wiring which was tricky since I accidentally cut the woofer wires short  :o. All in all, they sound AMAZING!!! I was already happy about listening to music again but they just have that perfect sound it's overwhelming how happy I am right now.

Please excuse the messy room in the photo as I was a little preoccupied for the last little bit  :lol:. All in all, thank you to everyone who helped along the way and . This group really is so helpful that I couldn't have done it without you guys. I will make sure to try and help others as you all have helped me.

-Lloyd
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2022, 04:51 am by nlitworld »

Early B.

« Reply #76 on: 7 Feb 2022, 12:14 am »
All in all, they sound AMAZING!!! I was already happy about listening to music again but they just have that perfect sound it's overwhelming how happy I am right now.

Well, of course they sound great 'cause you're playing Funkadelic!!!  8)

nlitworld

« Reply #77 on: 7 Feb 2022, 02:30 am »
I had one question before I get too content with these. When I added polyfill in there, I gave a good bit in the back and covered some of the crossover board, but then I saw Sonicjoy's build photo of it and he used a lot more along the bottom basically covering the crossover.
Here is the photo from Sonicjoy's build that I was talking about

I do have some no-rez in front of the crossover but still leaving enough room to move the crossover in and out if necessary. Is it an arbitrary amount of polyfill for on the bottom or should I be adding more to mimic his build?

nlitworld

« Reply #78 on: 7 Feb 2022, 02:31 am »
*duplicate post*

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #79 on: 7 Feb 2022, 02:38 am »
I think I’ve seen Danny recommend loosely fill the cabinet with polyfil and not pack it. I covered the crossover and everything loosely in mine which I think was similar to Sonicjoy.

On a side note I went back after a while and changed the wiring inside and forgot to cover the crossover and once I did there was a noticeable improvement.