Auralic Aries Vs. Oppo bdp-105

rickster65

Auralic Aries Vs. Oppo bdp-105
« on: 22 Aug 2021, 03:44 pm »
Hello,

I'm getting into HiFi streaming by using my oppo BDP-105 using Jriver.  I'm thinking about getting a Auralic Aries as a streamer/server platform output to an external dac.  I'm wondering about a potential upgrade in sound quality using the Aries instead of the Oppo. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Auralic Aries Vs. Oppo bdp-105
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2021, 04:02 pm »
Welcome to AC.

rickster65

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2021, 04:08 pm »
Thanks...I'm an old guy in the Villages, FL wanting to learn about streaming, ect.  I've been using physical media for years.

artur9

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2021, 04:40 pm »
Welcome!

What would the external DAC output into?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2021, 04:47 pm »
Welcome!

What would the external DAC output into?
The DAC output is rca or xlr 3 pins tô the amp.

rickster65

« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2021, 05:20 pm »
Dac is RCA output to a Fisher 500c receiver. 

I am running to problems with the Oppo as a streamer using WiFi.  I was wondering the the Aries had better Wifi performance than the Oppo.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2021, 05:29 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC rickster   :thumb:  Can't speak to the DAC, but I've always found both my Oppo 95 & 203 far too analytical & bright for my taste, tho many other more experienced like them very much. I even prefer the built-in DAC in my '99 Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI, which I still use as a disc player, to the Oppos for music. ymmv. I'm sure you will get several better informed more knowledgeable responses.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2021, 05:43 pm »
Welcome!  Is this the Auralic model you are considering?  https://us.auralic.com/products/aries-g1?variant=34539872288936

rickster65

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2021, 06:38 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC rickster   :thumb:  Can't speak to the DAC, but I've always found both my Oppo 95 & 203 far too analytical & bright for my taste, tho many other more experienced like them very much. I even prefer the built-in DAC in my '99 Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI, which I still use as a disc player, to the Oppos for music. ymmv. I'm sure you will get several better informed more knowledgeable responses.

I'm using an Eastern Electric Minimax plus DAC with Dexa op amp upgrades right now.  I prefer it to the DAC in the Oppo.  I'm thinking of the Aries to improve upon the WiFi performance I'm getting with the Oppo, with an eye toward upgrading my DAC down the road.

I was thinking of the original Aries...the G1 might be a little outside my price range.

JackD

« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2021, 07:55 pm »
The original Aries Femto is still and excellent choice as a streamer and is still fully supported by Auralic.  Though I have two G series Aries I am still using my original Aries and it performs as good or better than when I first got it due to the software and firmware upgrades over the years.