Help me decide, or prepare for decision

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
Help me decide, or prepare for decision
« on: 7 Aug 2021, 11:09 am »
Going to be auditioning new 1.7i’s and traded used 3.7’s. Cost not really an issue, though can get Mye stands with 1.7i for same cost as the 3.7 … tho I’d add Mye stands to those as well.

My room is only 12.5 ft on short wall, and must be placed there so I can bring out into the room.
The 3.7 is about 6” wider, so with 5 ft between inside edges, left with 21” clear to sidewalls, 26” with 1.7i. Think that difference is meaningful?

I ‘hear’ the 1.7i with all now quasi-ribbon they sound more coherent than the designs that mix technologies (as do the 3.7). But that 3.7 true ribbon. Significant either way?

The 3.7 low end should be fuller if not extended much. But I have the ingredients for a very good IB sub to integrated if really needed. Can the difference between these models really tip the decision on sub or no sub? FYI, I think I am most attracted to these for reproduction of acoustic instruments and vocals … should be covered on string bass (low e string tuned at 41 Hz, but piano down to about 27 Hz I think) … and will be refreshing my Polk SDA-SRS2’s and have setup on long wall and ‘2nd chair’, and could reserve any bombastic recordings for that system (though not as high quality as the main/Maggie system equip).

So, I am leaning toward the new 1.7i’s as sufficiently capable, better room fit, warranted, get the finish I want, and some coin left for Mye stands. Are the 3.7’s going to change my mind? Thanks!

Doublej

Re: Help me decide, or prepare for decision
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2021, 12:33 pm »
Cost not really an issue then why not consider 3.7i with Mye stands?

Inscrutable

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2021, 01:39 pm »
Cost not really an issue then why not consider 3.7i with Mye stands?
I should have added ‘within reason’  :) … they’d be great but listing at 7500 now, more than 3x the 1.7i
If cost truly no object, I’d buy a different house with the big rooms I used to have and get big SoundLabs  :D

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2021, 02:59 pm »
3.7s should work fine in that room and you get the ribbon.
You might still want to use a sub (or two) dialed down real low with them.

One thing to consider: as you go up the ladder with these the rest of your equipment must follow suit.
What works with .7s won't sound so hot with 1.7s and you get the idea.

What isn't up to the task will stick out like a sore thumb.

Inscrutable

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2021, 04:19 pm »
3.7s should work fine in that room and you get the ribbon.
You might still want to use a sub (or two) dialed down real low with them.

One thing to consider: as you go up the ladder with these the rest of your equipment must follow suit.
What works with .7s won't sound so hot with 1.7s and you get the idea.

What isn't up to the task will stick out like a sore thumb.
Thanks Steve. So it sounds like you would favor the used 3.7 over new 1.7i irrespective of sub/no-sub? Hmmm … I understand factory will upgrade to ‘I’ status for $500 + shipping. Think that’s worth $1k? Would still only have $4k in them compared to $7k new.

I’m pretty confident my upstream components will be fine:
VPI Classic w/Sound-Smith Zephyr MkIII
Bluesound Vault 2i feeding Oppo 105 DAC right now, but pretty certain I’m going to get the Audio-Gd R8Mk2 ladder DAC
Plinius 8200MkII integrated (300w @4ohm) being completely refreshed by Ralph Abramo (formerly and associate of Vince Galbo … one of the Plinius gurus)

I think treating the room is the final frontier.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2021, 04:36 pm »
This sounds like a dealer?
If so, ask them if they'll give you a 48 hour at home trial with the 3.7s and if need be you'll be back for the 1.7s.
The 1.7s in the upstairs system here sound tremendous and I'm setting up another 1.7 system downstairs slow but sure.
Guess you could say I like them.

The 3.7s in the living room are a better speaker, though, no two ways about it.
Adding two subs to them really did the trick.  Change in preamp and CD player didn't hurt, either!

Mine is a similar sized room but I don't think you gave the length. 
I've got mine 5' out from the front wall and am sitting another 15' back. 
If they're in your lap or too close to the front wall it's not going to work, it will be overwhelming and boomy.
3.7s sound terrible in the upstairs here but 1.7s are just perfect.

I can't comment on the upgrade, I think they swap out a panel; they treated the whole thing like the Manhattan Project.
However, they're currently not taking in any repair work per their site.

It sounds like your equipment will be up to the task.
Let us know how it works out.

Inscrutable

« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2021, 04:51 pm »
This sounds like a dealer?
If so, ask them if they'll give you a 48 hour at home trial with the 3.7s and if need be you'll be back for the 1.7s.
The 1.7s in the upstairs system here sound tremendous and I'm setting up another 1.7 system downstairs slow but sure.
Guess you could say I like them.

The 3.7s in the living room are a better speaker, though, no two ways about it.
Adding two subs to them really did the trick.  Change in preamp and CD player didn't hurt, either!

Mine is a similar sized room but I don't think you gave the length. 
I've got mine 5' out from the front wall and am sitting another 15' back. 
If they're in your lap or too close to the front wall it's not going to work, it will be overwhelming and boomy.
3.7s sound terrible in the upstairs here but 1.7s are just perfect.

I can't comment on the upgrade, I think they swap out a panel; they treated the whole thing like the Manhattan Project.
However, they're currently not taking in any repair work per their site.

It sounds like your equipment will be up to the task.
Let us know how it works out.
Thanks again.

Room is 12.5 w (but with 5’h knee walls then 45* up to 8’ceiling. The flat 8’h is only about 6’w).
Depth is about 22 -26’ depending - one side has the stairway knee wall. But I can bring speakers out 5 feet and sit back 10’+ if desired, but heard best if you are somewhere UP TO 2x distance apart, so UP TO 10’. I may be wrong.

Forgot about factory not accepting anything beyond warranty work now. Have been a little punchy about used planars, would have appreciated factory go-over. Oh well …

Yes it’s a (good) dealer, probably would accommodate me. I’ll be seeing them week after next, and hopefully decide.

johnto

« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2021, 10:06 pm »
I have 3.7i with 2 subs in a 12 x 15 room and the sound is amazing. I moved up from 1.7i as you go larger you get more of everything. With 26' larger will definitely be better.