Pittsburgh audio & recording geek here...

windwman

Pittsburgh audio & recording geek here...
« on: 15 Dec 2020, 06:00 pm »
Hi yins! (A local expression, I'm still learning the lingo).
I've been involved in audio since the 70's and went to IAR (Institute of Audio Research) in NYC to learn pro audio recording & technology.
Now semi-retired here in Pittsburgh. I have made numerous hi-res purist 2 channel recordings when I lived near Allentown. Before that, I was an early member of the NJAS (NJ Audio Society) club.
I don't see any evidence of audio interest here in the western part of PA. Please contact me if I'm wrong, I'd love to hear from you!
I've got a small room with some rather large planar/ribbon hybrids from Analysis Audio -  the Omega model. Running an active system, tri-amp'd w/outboard woofers. They sound better than I expected in this place, but I'd still like to get something smaller that doesn't dominate the space.

Blackmore

Re: Pittsburgh audio & recording geek here...
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2020, 06:21 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2020, 08:44 pm »
I have made numerous hi-res purist 2 channel recordings
Hi welcome,
Iam very interested in what was your recording setup if you could inform us?

windwman

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2020, 09:30 pm »
Yes I'll post more details when I can soon. Right now I'm off to work! My go to unit is a Tascam HD-P2 at 24/192 resolution. The mic setup takes longer to explain....later

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2020, 09:34 pm »
Nice, thanks.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2020, 09:35 pm »
Welcome!

syzygy

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2020, 02:02 am »
Greetings from the ‘burgh.

windwman

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2020, 03:00 am »
Good to know there's at least one more out there...I'm in Penn Hills. You?

windwman

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2020, 03:12 am »
I have made numerous hi-res purist 2 channel recordings
Hi welcome,
Iam very interested in what was your recording setup if you could inform us?
For mics, I started out using Naiant X-O omnis and a homemade Jecklin disc. Then I got a match set pair of Studio Projects C-4s with all the capsules. This allowed me to use the ORTF configuration a couple of times, but mostly still stayed with Omni pair/ Jecklin. Then I took apart the capsules and did a little mod work with better film caps, and also used an upgraded baffle a friend made for me.
I recorded local classical & jazz musicians in the Bucks County PA area, and also in NJ once or twice.  Most of them were excellent players. I had a lot of fun doing it.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2020, 03:54 am »
Seems a fine setup, with 24/192 you are ahead of most classical label, BIS records recorded many years in 24/44 and after upgraded to 24/96.