Connecting REL sub to 4B-SST2 via speaker outputs...

RandyH

Any problem connecting a REL (using the REL recommended connection method) to a 4bSST2?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Connecting REL sub to 4B-SST2 via speaker outputs...
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2010, 03:33 pm »
Any problem connecting a REL (using the REL recommended connection method) to a 4bSST2?

Hi Randy - How are they saying to hook it up?

james

RandyH

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2010, 03:42 pm »

Quoted from REL setup instructions:

"The standard high level hook up procedure is: attach the red wire to the amplifier’s right positive speaker output terminal; attach the yellow wire to the amplifier’s left positive speaker output terminal; attach the black wire to which ever of the amplifier’s ground output terminals is convenient; plug the Speakon connector into the sub’s high level input.
For differential amplifiers using one sub, simply use the standard connecting scheme with the exception of connecting ground to chassis ground, not to speaker output ground, and then connecting into the high level input (Hi Input or Unbal Hi Input on Stentor III and Studio III). "

The distinction is made above that connecting a single sub to a differential amp. requires a slight modification.  I quess my question is...is the 4bsst a "differential" amp?

BobM

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2010, 04:31 pm »
Is a 4BSST a balanced design or does it have a common ground (- line) between channels? If it is balanced than you can hook the sub up to one channel only (L or R but not both) using the high inputs. Otherwise you can run RCA's from your preamp to the low level inputs.

Alternately you can get a second sub and have both L and R channels covered.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2010, 05:04 pm »
It appears that REL is simply 'padding down' the amplifier outputs by this connection method. They then 'sum' the 2 signals to provide a mono signal to the Sub?

So the 4B SST2 can be used in the way described.

To be sure can you send a picture of the rear panel of your specific Sub?

james

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2010, 11:13 pm »
It appears that REL is simply 'padding down' the amplifier outputs by this connection method. They then 'sum' the 2 signals to provide a mono signal to the Sub?

So the 4B SST2 can be used in the way described.

To be sure can you send a picture of the rear panel of your specific Sub?

james

James - they are all similar.  I use 4 Rel subs in the main system.  The two Storm IIIs are crossed over to Thiel 3.7s powered by a 14BSST.  Here's a picture from Audiogon - http://pic5.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1268935549.jpg

They use a 4 pole Neutrik Speakon Connector for the high level connection which goes to the amp.  There are 3 wires coming from the other end of the wire which are connected as described in an earlier post.  I've help set up lots of them.  I've seen some just connect them to one channel too.  The Neutrik Speakon Connector has two positive and two negative terminals inside.
james

Waker

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2010, 08:51 pm »
The standard high level hook up procedure is: attach the red wire to the amplifier’s right positive speaker output terminal; attach the yellow wire to the amplifier’s left positive speaker output terminal; attach the black wire to which ever of the amplifier’s ground output terminals is convenient; plug the Speakon connector into the sub’s high level input.
For differential amplifiers
Randy, connect your REL just as you have quoted from the instructions.  I have had a REL and a 4BSST for years, with the banana plugs of the Speakon cable fitting into the 4B's outputs.

rpmartins

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2021, 01:47 pm »

Regarding 4bsst2, REL's client support says "Connection will be
Red and yellow to speaker positive red and black to black speaker terminal for each channel."

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2021, 02:18 pm »
Regarding 4bsst2, REL's client support says "Connection will be
Red and yellow to speaker positive red and black to black speaker terminal for each channel."

You may have searched for REL and/or Bryston and found this, but the thread is 11 years old. :o

rpmartins

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2021, 02:23 pm »
You may have searched for REL and/or Bryston and found this, but the thread is 11 years old. :o

I know, but 4bsst² and REL subs still exists. :D
I posted this answer because never found a clarification neither from REL nor Bryston till today.

Phil A

rpmartins

« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2021, 03:22 pm »
There's also a video at Rel's site - https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004486467-Standard-Connection-Class-A-B-A-B-amps-

Yes,there is. That's exactly the right way to connect.
My doubt started when thinking about being or not a balanced amp. But since I've an answer from REL I'm good.

Now, if someone else search for this subject will find here the answer.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2021, 04:20 pm »
Yes,there is. That's exactly the right way to connect.
My doubt started when thinking about being or not a balanced amp. But since I've an answer from REL I'm good.

Now, if someone else search for this subject will find here the answer.

There's a different method if someone searches for connecting a Class D amp (since they work differently) - https://rel.net/blog/2017-12-27/how-to/connect-rel-class-d-gear/  I actually have a three Rel subs (two in the main system) which are about 19 years old and I also have a Sumiko sub in another system which is a copy of a Rel as Sumiko distributed Rel at one point.  Years back I had a 4BST connected to the two Rel subs (later an SST2 amp).