Future Bryston CD Player Still A Go?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Future Bryston CD Player Still A Go?
« Reply #520 on: 15 Dec 2021, 12:12 pm »
Hi James,

Would it be possible to order the BCD-3 with the black and white display like the one on the BR-20?

Ash

Not sure if the display will fit?

I will ask.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #521 on: 15 Dec 2021, 12:27 pm »
Not sure if the display will fit?

I will ask.

james

Hi - yes the same display is used on the BCD and the BR20

james

schuesmp

« Reply #522 on: 8 Jan 2022, 09:52 pm »
James -

I ordered a new Bryston BCD-3 CD Player in April 2021, which I received in August 2021. It sounds magnificent, but the display has been temperamental. My Bryston dealer has been exceptionally responsive with the RMA process. When the display began having issues, I accessed the Bryston web interface to select and change tracks. I noted that the web interface shows a Build Date of April 25, 2018, so roughly three years ago. I do not claim to know what events determine the Build Date, but it struck me as curious. Perhaps you can provide some insight?

Many thanks.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #523 on: 9 Jan 2022, 12:24 am »
I ordered my BCD-3 June.11.2021 and received it Nov.05.2021.I have the same date online display, Apr.25.2018 14:23:11.
You right, it is magnificent beast.What kind of issues do you have with your BCD-3, could you please describe it?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #524 on: 9 Jan 2022, 01:54 am »
That is the software build date.

james

schuesmp

« Reply #525 on: 9 Jan 2022, 08:09 am »
James - Thank you for clarifying the meaning of Build Date.

Mariusz - My BCD-3 plays discs without issue, and the sound is excellent. The display, however, ultimately went dark for about one week after a period of glitchy behavior, before regaining functionality just this morning before I posted. My player is currently operating properly. I will monitor closely and, if issues return, I will send the unit in for repair. 

I ordered my BCD-3 June.11.2021 and received it Nov.05.2021.I have the same date online display, Apr.25.2018 14:23:11.
You right, it is magnificent beast.What kind of issues do you have with your BCD-3, could you please describe it?

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #526 on: 9 Jan 2022, 12:12 pm »
James - Thank you for clarifying the meaning of Build Date.

Mariusz - My BCD-3 plays discs without issue, and the sound is excellent. The display, however, ultimately went dark for about one week after a period of glitchy behavior, before regaining functionality just this morning before I posted. My player is currently operating properly. I will monitor closely and, if issues return, I will send the unit in for repair.
Schuesmp - I don't want to insult your intelligence or sound like a I'm a smartass, but if you press number "0", the display in BCD-3 goes off.It happened to me in the past, I accidentally pressed "0" and display went off.I got so scared, I thought I broke it.Again, I'm just trying to help.

trebor2

« Reply #527 on: 10 Jan 2022, 10:11 am »
James -

I ordered a new Bryston BCD-3 CD Player in April 2021, which I received in August 2021. It sounds magnificent, but the display has been temperamental. My Bryston dealer has been exceptionally responsive with the RMA process. When the display began having issues, I accessed the Bryston web interface to select and change tracks. I noted that the web interface shows a Build Date of April 25, 2018, so roughly three years ago. I do not claim to know what events determine the Build Date, but it struck me as curious. Perhaps you can provide some insight?

Many thanks.

I had the BCD-3 in 2018 and I wonder if your display issue was similar to mine?
During playback the next track would start to play but the display didn't change for a few seconds, still showing the previous track information.
I wondered if this was something Bryston were aware of and has since been fixed.
Great player otherwise and I'm considering purchasing again, hoping that the display issue I had is no longer there.

schuesmp

« Reply #528 on: 10 Jan 2022, 04:04 pm »
I appreciate the effort to help. Unfortunately, the issue with my display has been in the form of flickering, freezing, not displaying correct information, and displaying distorted figures. Interestingly, after disconnecting power from the player for a few days and reconnecting, the previously nonresponsive display regained life and appears to be working properly. I will, of course, monitor for symptoms of the original issue. 

Schuesmp - I don't want to insult your intelligence or sound like a I'm a smartass, but if you press number "0", the display in BCD-3 goes off.It happened to me in the past, I accidentally pressed "0" and display went off.I got so scared, I thought I broke it.Again, I'm just trying to help.

schuesmp

« Reply #529 on: 10 Jan 2022, 04:09 pm »
See my post immediately above. I agree with you: it is a great CD player when working properly. Hopefully my display issue is behind me.

I had the BCD-3 in 2018 and I wonder if your display issue was similar to mine?
During playback the next track would start to play but the display didn't change for a few seconds, still showing the previous track information.
I wondered if this was something Bryston were aware of and has since been fixed.
Great player otherwise and I'm considering purchasing again, hoping that the display issue I had is no longer there.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #530 on: 10 Jan 2022, 04:12 pm »
I appreciate the effort to help. Unfortunately, the issue with my display has been in the form of flickering, freezing, not displaying correct information, and displaying distorted figures. Interestingly, after disconnecting power from the player for a few days and reconnecting, the previously nonresponsive display regained life and appears to be working properly. I will, of course, monitor for symptoms of the original issue.
Schuesmp, you will have good laugh, but after reading about your BCD-3 issue, I turned off display.I love my new setup so much, I want it to last forever.I believe, we have 5 years warranty?Love the pup on the picture.

schuesmp

« Reply #531 on: 10 Jan 2022, 05:01 pm »
My first disc into the BCD-3 was Stone Temple Pilots' reissued Tiny Music...Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop. Clear and expansive, yet punchy, from the get-go. This player is a keeper.

Schuesmp, you will have good laugh, but after reading about your BCD-3 issue, I turned off display.I love my new setup so much, I want it to last forever.I believe, we have 5 years warranty?Love the pup on the picture.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #532 on: 10 Jan 2022, 05:24 pm »
My first disc into the BCD-3 was Stone Temple Pilots' reissued Tiny Music...Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop. Clear and expansive, yet punchy, from the get-go. This player is a keeper.
Mine was "Deep Purple In Rock" by Deep Purple, this one I'm taking to the grave with me.I think one of the members loves this player so much, that he decided to purchase extra laser.

schuesmp

« Reply #533 on: 11 Jan 2022, 03:06 am »
Dang, the issue with the display resurfaced. The player still plays discs wonderfully, but a repair or replacement is needed. Will happily stream and play records during the there-and-back journey.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #534 on: 11 Jan 2022, 04:03 am »
Dang, the issue with the display resurfaced. The player still plays discs wonderfully, but a repair or replacement is needed. Will happily stream and play records during the there-and-back journey.

Brother, I can't even imagine the pain you're in.

schuesmp

« Reply #535 on: 11 Jan 2022, 04:16 am »
I’ll survive. :wink:  Glad I’m dealing with Bryston under these circumstances.

trebor2

« Reply #536 on: 11 Jan 2022, 09:54 am »

BCD-3 coming next week. Hopefully no display issues!
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2022, 03:57 pm by trebor2 »

schuesmp

« Reply #537 on: 11 Jun 2022, 09:24 pm »
As expected, Bryston remediated the display issue afflicting my BCD-3. I do not know exactly what Bryston repaired or replaced, but the player including display has performed flawlessly since its return to me several months ago. Great company and dealer.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #538 on: 12 Jun 2022, 01:00 am »
Damn, it looks exacly as before, what did they fix???I believe, the display is $100...

schuesmp

« Reply #539 on: 12 Jun 2022, 01:06 am »
Damn, it looks exacly as before, what did they fix???I believe, the display is $100...

That image is from January 2022, before the fix. I included it as context for the update (display fixed and player working properly).