The merry go round

dflee

The merry go round
« on: 22 Feb 2020, 05:39 pm »
Guys:
Looking for some direction cause money don't grow on trees (at least mine anyway).
I started out with Sennheiser 589SR and FIOO dac/amp. next came the IFI Nano IDSD-LE
with some improvement. Got a deal on HFM 400S and improvement. Next got HFM 400I.
Next up was the Chord Mojo. Now have the HFM Sundara. Using the Sundara w/ Mojo is still
a little dull untill I turn it up. Don't want to listen for long periods at higher level so am looking
to either get better phones or dac/amp that sound clear at lower levels.
What say ye?

Thanks
Don

brooklyn

Re: The merry go round
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2020, 06:11 pm »
From my own personal experience I would say to get the best headphones you can afford because they with make the most difference. Go for comfort and the sound quality that you love in a headphone. Then when you have extra cash, get a dac/amp combo or separates that work with those headphones.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2020, 08:02 pm »
e
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2020, 10:18 pm by adydula »

dflee

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2020, 01:23 am »
Alex:
Do the Clears match pretty well
With most of your amps?
Am on a wish list at three different
Places for open box Clears.
The Sundara do sound decent through
My stereo but just fall short on the Mojo.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2020, 02:51 am »
e

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2020, 03:10 am »
Hi Don,

This is a tough subject, as what is nirvana to one is meh to another.   :o

In order to address this, my recommendation is to set a budget, and make decisions based on that. 

FWIW, I think your DAC is fine.  If your present setup is a bit dull, would look at Beyerdynamic options.  I would look at the reviews/ratings at Sonaworks to get a handle on the headphone performance.  To be frank, most reviews for headphones are HIGHLY subjective, and frankly not worth much.  A a given reviewer thinks about XYZ cans actually means very little to any of us in our individual environments. 

The headphone amp CAN make a significant difference.  If one looks at headphones 80 ohms or over, a good headphone amp can and does help.  Case in point:  The Audeze LCD-3 phones with a proper amp can easily rival the better Stax ESL setups.  With a more pedestrian amp, you won't hear what the headphones are truly capable of (just like Stax). 

However, something like a Audeze LCD-X at 20 ohms, can be driven by just about anything and sound good.  They retail for 200.00 more than the Focal Clear, but IMHO, it's a better option (because I am hooked on the planar/ESL sound from headphones).  The LCD-X does not need a special amp to sound great. 

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2020, 02:25 pm »
e