Vandersteen Treos arriving at dealers

jjc1

Vandersteen Treos arriving at dealers
« on: 12 Jan 2012, 06:29 pm »
   Just got a call from John Rutan at Audio Connection in Verona,N.J.   

They have recently received a pair of Treos and have them set up. John was gushing with enthusiasm about the sound.
   I'll be going there next week to take a listen. Will report back.

tonyjack

Re: Vandersteen Treos arriving at dealers
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2012, 01:13 am »
I just heard them (Treos) today @ Audio Connection and yes they are indeed spectacular speakers. I own 3A Sigs and am quite happy, but the Treos are what I would buy if I did not have the 3A Sigs. Heard them with a ARC 60 watt Integrated with KT120 tubes, Cary CDP, Rega DAC. Speakers were up against the wall and sounded great. These speakers look great as well (WAF) and I think they will be a big seller. Go hear them if you have a chance!

jermmd

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2012, 01:30 am »
Price?
Specs?
Link?
Photo?

Joe M.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2012, 04:39 am »
The Treos did sound very good at RMAF 2011.
Here is a pdf file with specifications and driver photos:
 www.vandersteen.com/treo_prelim_lit.pdf

jjc1

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2012, 06:55 pm »
Well, I finally got over to Audio Connection to hear the Treo. It is truly a very fine speaker with fabulous midrange. The bass was deep and tight, sound stage spot on. But then I went to the room with the 2CE Sig 2. I hadn't heard 2Ces for about 6 or 7 years. I always remeber the sound as being great for a speaker of that price range. But what a surprise to hear the new Sig 2s! I won't say it was as good as the Treo, but I was floored by the sound of the 2CE. My next listen will be the 3A Sig.  But I am so impressed by the 2CE that I am about ready to buy a pair. I will actually be replacing speakers that are almost twice the price. But when I listen to my current speakers, the sound seems to be quite dry compared to the Vandys. It's amazing what Richard Vandersteen can do with his products.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:18 pm »
A really cool thing about the 2CE Sigs is they are $2395.00 a pair.  Another is that they are boxless* and the drivers are physically time aligned.  Dahlquist and Vandy pioneered the former and along with Dunlavy, the latter. 

*except for the low frequency driver.

dminches

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:26 pm »
The 2CE sigs could be the best value in speaker history.  While I found the 3A Sigs to be a slight improvement overall, they aren't necessarily from a cost/benefit perspective.  The 5As are a huge step above both, in terms of both sound and cost.  I think it will be a long time before I get rid of mine.

dminches

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:26 pm »
Well, I finally got over to Audio Connection to hear the Treo. It is truly a very fine speaker with fabulous midrange. The bass was deep and tight, sound stage spot on. But then I went to the room with the 2CE Sig 2. I hadn't heard 2Ces for about 6 or 7 years. I always remeber the sound as being great for a speaker of that price range. But what a surprise to hear the new Sig 2s! I won't say it was as good as the Treo, but I was floored by the sound of the 2CE. My next listen will be the 3A Sig.  But I am so impressed by the 2CE that I am about ready to buy a pair. I will actually be replacing speakers that are almost twice the price. But when I listen to my current speakers, the sound seems to be quite dry compared to the Vandys. It's amazing what Richard Vandersteen can do with his products.

What electronics did he have driving the Treos?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:47 pm »
The 2CE sigs could be the best value in speaker history.  While I found the 3A Sigs to be a slight improvement overall, they aren't necessarily from a cost/benefit perspective.  The 5As are a huge step above both, in terms of both sound and cost.  I think it will be a long time before I get rid of mine.
Cost/benefit perspective.  What's that?  What?  Me worry?  Just kidding, of course.

jjc1

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2012, 07:56 pm »
  The Treos were powered by an ARC 60 watt Integrated, an NAD CD player thru a Rega DAC and Kimber 12TC biwired speaker cables.
   Interesting. The 2CE sigs were powered by the new Cary SA 200.2 Amp, Cary SLP03 Pre and also biwired Kimber 12TC speaker cables. I think this combo worked better.

dminches

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2012, 08:20 pm »
That is a very nice Cary combo.  I have the Cary SLP-05 and the Cary 500.1 monoblocks with my 5As.  They all work well together.

jjc1

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2012, 08:53 pm »
That is a very nice Cary combo.  I have the Cary SLP-05 and the Cary 500.1 monoblocks with my 5As.  They all work well together.

Nice setup.  Cary always seems to work well with Vandersteen.

If I get the 2CE sigs I will be using the Cary SLI80 until I upgrade.

geowak

« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2012, 11:55 pm »
Yes I am in Love with Vandersteen speakers and bought the 2CE SIG II. I am sure the Treo sounds great. I auditioned many speakers in the 2K to 2.5K range before settling on the Vandersteen 2CE SIG II. Klipsch, Paradigm, Magnepan, KEF, Martin Logan, B&W, and others.

I thought they would be hard to drive, but they are NOT!