Tempest question

DiNo

Tempest question
« on: 27 Jan 2003, 07:19 pm »
I feel kind of stupid for asking this, but what is a tape loop?
Is this the second output?

lo mein

Tempest question
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2003, 07:56 pm »
tape loop is the tape in/out for recording tape copy and playback.

Alex

DiNo

Tempest question
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2003, 07:58 pm »
Thanks Alex.

Can I use the tape out and feed it to  my subwoofer's amp? Is this the normal way to do it?

TIA

lo mein

Tempest question
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2003, 08:12 pm »
Quote from: DiNo
Thanks Alex.

Can I use the tape out and feed it to  my subwoofer's amp? Is this the normal way to do it?

TIA

You're  welcomed.

I'm not sure if you can use it to feed the sub's amp. I've never tried this. But you could try, if there's a high-pass/low-pass filter on the sub's amp.

Maybe somebody else might have more insight into this.

Alex

DiNo

Tempest question
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2003, 08:29 pm »
I'm running the mains (Norh 9.0) full range and using the sub under the mains to fill in the missing bass. My subwoofer is a DIY using Dayton 12" DVC and 250W PE amp.  I was thinking about rewiring the setup by connecting the "Tape Out" from the Tempest Preamp to the "Line In" of the subwoofer's amp.

Just want to make sure if this connection is safe so I don't have to call Klaus for emergency repair :-)

nathanm

Tempest question
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2003, 11:27 pm »
If you use the tape out the signal will be at full output and won't follow the preamp volume.  So unless your amp has gain trims you're going to be blasting the sub at full bore regardless of how loud the mains are.  Might be a rude surprise!

DiNo

Tempest question
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2003, 01:04 am »
Nathanm,
  Thanks for the input. You're  right. With this type of  connection, it puts out the same signal regardless of volume control setting on the preamp. It kind of pain in the butt to have to adjust the volume of the powered sub everytime I change the the volume of the preamp...

Regarding an alternative option for subwoofer hookup, I am considering using the Y connectors to send the signal to both the main amp (Odyssey Stratos) and the powered sub.  As the signal from the preamp output is split, what type of signal degradation could I expect ?  Is it advisable to try  this configuration?

Any advice is appreciated.

TIA

W.C.

Tempest question
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2003, 02:04 am »
Dino,
     Another option would be to call Klaus. Maybe he could install another output on the Tempest for the sub. It would be better than using Y connectors.

klaus@odyssey

Tempest question
« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2003, 05:57 am »
Yep,  it's usually best to run the sub inputs from the line-level.  Anyway,  we do mod the Tempest for 2nd outs.  Essentially we jump another set of RCA's parallel to the outs,  using, of course, only Groneberg wire and the Groneberg high-tech solder,  which is awesome.

Late,
Klaus