Cupboard space

sidders

Cupboard space
« on: 16 Sep 2014, 02:45 pm »
Hi.
 Would appreciate any suggestions on how to deal with this cupboard which is at the back of the room. I've considered putting the door back on and putting a monster in front of it but because I don't really need the space, I'm wondering if I should just fill with some kind of acoustic material and make it a large bass trap, albeit being on  only one side of the room. Symmetry? It does seem a common view that Symmetry is not so important where bass traps are concerned.

The room is 10FTx10FTx8ft and the cupboard is 15ins deep and 5FTx8ft.

Thanks.

Don_S

Re: Cupboard space
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2014, 04:06 pm »
sidders,

A naked closet is absolutely obscene.   :o  How do you do it?  My closets are overflowing with empty equipment boxes.  Obviously you do not have enough equipment. I do not know whether to congratulate you or offer condolences.  :jester:

sidders

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2014, 04:36 pm »
Don. Every other cupboard in my flat is a danger to anyone who tries to open them :thumb:

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2014, 05:20 pm »
Either way can work. Getting it thick full of treatment would absolutely be better than nothing, but due to position, wouldn't be as helpful as the same amount of absorption in one of the actual corners. Don't really think you can go wrong either way though.  :thumb:

sidders

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2014, 05:46 pm »
Sorry Alex. Not clear on what you mean.As you can see in the pic, I already have soffit traps in both corners. Do you mean that inside the cupboard is another corner?

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2014, 06:24 am »
Sorry Alex. Not clear on what you mean.As you can see in the pic, I already have soffit traps in both corners. Do you mean that inside the cupboard is another corner?

No - sorry, let me be more clear. I'm suggesting that if you had the whole closet thick with insulation, it wouldn't be as helpful as the same amount of insulation in a normal corner would be (was just trying to give a comparison). But it will still be helpful. It's hard to predict what exactly would happen in such a situation as it would be highly dependent on many factors.