If you were looking for a CD player....

Rocket

Re: If you were looking for a CD player....
« Reply #20 on: 9 Oct 2022, 10:35 am »
Hi,

If your after a new cdp I've been very happy with the Naim Cd5si player. No need for a dac. You've been given good advice about buying a cheap cdp with digital out and just use a dac if you wish.

https://www.dedicatedaudio.com/products/naim-cd5si-compact-disc-player

Cheers Rod

2bigears

« Reply #21 on: 9 Oct 2022, 04:57 pm »
 :D thanks everybody.  If I just bought a spinner,, I'd be tempted to buy a 7 grand dac which I really don't want to do,   Ha.  Tempted for sure. The Naim looks interesting .. Turkeys are in full Run mode now !!  :D

charmerci

« Reply #22 on: 9 Oct 2022, 11:13 pm »
:D thanks everybody.  If I just bought a spinner,, I'd be tempted to buy a 7 grand dac which I really don't want to do,   Ha.  Tempted for sure. The Naim looks interesting .. Turkeys are in full Run mode now !!  :D

Well, you could simply buy the DAC first....

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 10 Oct 2022, 12:42 am »
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2022, 05:22 am by FullRangeMan »

2bigears

« Reply #24 on: 10 Oct 2022, 06:04 am »
 :D those look good. Can one order from china ? Not familiar with the process.  :D

Charles Xavier

« Reply #25 on: 10 Oct 2022, 06:55 am »
:D those look good. Can one order from china ? Not familiar with the process.  :D

Yes.

Rocket

« Reply #26 on: 10 Oct 2022, 11:27 am »
Hi,

I went from a perpetual technologies p3a dac (modwright) to an Eastern Electric dac plus with opamp upgraded to dexa's. I don't miss either and I am really impressed with its sound and the build of the chassis (no plastic).

Cheers Rod

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #27 on: 10 Oct 2022, 01:46 pm »
Yes US residents can order from China,  I heard under $500usd customs are tax free, this was under the previous administration, no special forms was required at the time imo.
Chinese shops are very friendly in my experience since 2000.

2bigears

« Reply #28 on: 10 Oct 2022, 05:58 pm »
 :D jelllo all AC'ers.  That china cd is 600 usd. With dac inside. You how we all think price reflects all ?  Is this machine a unicorn with value not worth suit on ?  Just a thought before buying something unknown to most ?  :D

Early B.

« Reply #29 on: 10 Oct 2022, 09:10 pm »
Is this machine a unicorn with value not worth suit on ?  Just a thought before buying something unknown to most ?  :D

This is an ancient CDP. Do your research:  http://lampizator.eu/lampizator/references/MHZS/MHZS_CD66F.html

rodge827

« Reply #30 on: 10 Oct 2022, 10:41 pm »
:D jelllo all AC'ers.  That china cd is 600 usd. With dac inside. You how we all think price reflects all ?  Is this machine a unicorn with value not worth suit on ?  Just a thought before buying something unknown to most ?  :D

I would stay away and look at a player that has reviews both pro and user. China's electronic manufacturers are very skilled at building something that looks great but doesn’t measure up sound wise.
My 2c

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 11 Oct 2022, 01:39 am »
Suddenly lost interest in this MHZS even as transport in view of the 213 transport reputation.

dflee

« Reply #32 on: 11 Oct 2022, 03:38 pm »
Was just browsing "The Music Room" and they have new Apollo for under a grand.

Don

WGH

« Reply #33 on: 11 Oct 2022, 05:02 pm »
Was just browsing "The Music Room" and they have new Apollo for under a grand.

The top loading is a plus, no more sticky drawers, which happened on all my players eventually. The PS Audio PerfectWave MKII DAC (up to 2013) and Van Alstine Fet Valve Hybrid DAC both use the Wolfson 8742 chip. I own the AVA DAC (10 years) and have heard the PSA a few times, both are similar sounding and very musical.

Art Dudley likes the Apollo
https://www.stereophile.com/content/rega-research-apollo-cd-player

2bigears

« Reply #34 on: 11 Oct 2022, 06:40 pm »
 :D those people at TMR are top notch.  Thanks.  Let me look .  CD players for $12,000.00    Now your talking . ha. Way better than China thing.  :D
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2022, 11:03 pm by 2bigears »

Lemmy is god

« Reply #35 on: 20 Jan 2023, 11:22 pm »
Sherwood carousel
Pioneer elite dv-79, 47 and 58….them79 is the best spinner ever owned.
A mid 90’s Sony cd/dvd player, and a Rotel dvd/cd player, she is very bland.

If I had the coin, the newest Bryston cd player.
Or the pio elite lx-500 if I ever find one at a descent price.

lazydays

« Reply #36 on: 3 Feb 2023, 06:16 am »
sometime in the early 2000's I bought a Jolida CD100 player, and it's still going strong. Been retubed twice, but that's about it. Sounds pretty nice as well.
gary

2bigears

« Reply #37 on: 3 Feb 2023, 06:30 am »
 :D I'm still looking. Seems a transport is the way to go.  :D

Rocket

« Reply #38 on: 3 Feb 2023, 06:53 am »
Hi,

Have you thought about an Accuphase CD player? I'd buy one except I can't afford it.

https://audiocubes.com/collections/audio-players/products/accuphase-dp-430-mds-compact-disc-player

Cheers Rod

JackD

« Reply #39 on: 3 Feb 2023, 07:16 am »
The best transport in your price range in terms of build quality and reliability is the Jays Audio CDT2 Mk3. The North American distributor is Todd at Tek Audio in Texas. If you don't want to go that far up the chain in price then look at the Nuprime transports like the CDT-8 Pro.  I have actually owned both as well as the higher level Jays model.