Pre-amp recommendations?

mick wolfe

Re: Pre-amp recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: 1 Feb 2022, 12:29 am »
Do your research for sure, but I think I would concentrate on finding the best integrated amp you can afford. This for current and future use of course. A much better amp will surely give you a more positive take on your current HSU monitor/sub set-up as well.

superflyback

« Reply #21 on: 1 Feb 2022, 12:38 am »
Do your research for sure, but I think I would concentrate on finding the best integrated amp you can afford. This for current and future use of course. A much better amp will surely give you a more positive take on your current HSU monitor/sub set-up as well.

Thank you Mick!

superflyback

« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2022, 11:26 pm »
Re: integrateds - any thoughts on the Sugden A21 paired with a WTL table? I know speakers are obviously the big question. Still looking at the Q7s but also considering the ATCs you mentioned or the Amphion Argon 3S. The Parasound HINT looks nice too but not sure I need all the features at this point.

mick wolfe

« Reply #23 on: 2 Feb 2022, 04:36 pm »
Priorities for matching components to a turntable really boils down to the cartridge and phono stage. After that, any amplifier that fits your needs and ear will be fine. The Sugden is only a 30 watter, so you'd be scraping by with small inefficient bookshelf speakers. The Argon would be a slightly better choice in regard to efficiency, but Amphion still recommends between 50-150W. It's simply not easy to find an efficient small bookshelf. I guessing you could get by with the Sugden and your current HSU's though if that stated 92db rating is accurate. I'm sure the Sugden would be a sweet amp, but it will limit your future speaker choices significantly if you're committed to small bookshelf types.

superflyback

« Reply #24 on: 2 Feb 2022, 04:57 pm »
Priorities for matching components to a turntable really boils down to the cartridge and phono stage. After that, any amplifier that fits your needs and ear will be fine. The Sugden is only a 30 watter, so you'd be scraping by with small inefficient bookshelf speakers. The Argon would be a slightly better choice in regard to efficiency, but Amphion still recommends between 50-150W. It's simply not easy to find an efficient small bookshelf. I guessing you could get by with the Sugden and your current HSU's though if that stated 92db rating is accurate. I'm sure the Sugden would be a sweet amp, but it will limit your future speaker choices significantly if you're committed to small bookshelf types.

Ah okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the heads up.

VinceT

« Reply #25 on: 7 Feb 2022, 09:20 pm »

Rushboy

« Reply #26 on: 6 Nov 2022, 08:56 am »
On the verge of purchasing my first WT table and I need to upgrade my pre-amp (currently using a Black Cube). Is anyone using either the WTL RIAA or Phono Stage pre-amp? I spoke with Don Better (from whom I will be buying the table) and he recommended the Lejonklou Slipsik 7 which also looks great. That's right at the top of my budget but if it's the best choice I can justify it.

Would love any insight into any of those three options, or any other recommendations! I'll probably be starting with the WTL TLC with plans to upgrade at some point in the future. Would love to eventually try some MC carts but I don't necessarily need an amp that can do both, I could get a SUT if that's the best fit.

Thanks!
Did you buy the Lejonklou? If so, are you satisfied?

bakufu

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jan 2023, 08:20 pm »
On the verge of purchasing my first WT table and I need to upgrade my pre-amp (currently using a Black Cube). Is anyone using either the WTL RIAA or Phono Stage pre-amp? I spoke with Don Better (from whom I will be buying the table) and he recommended the Lejonklou Slipsik 7 which also looks great. That's right at the top of my budget but if it's the best choice I can justify it.

Would love any insight into any of those three options, or any other recommendations! I'll probably be starting with the WTL TLC with plans to upgrade at some point in the future. Would love to eventually try some MC carts but I don't necessarily need an amp that can do both, I could get a SUT if that's the best fit.

Thanks!

i purchased a dynavector dv500 from don.  he recommended the lenjonkleu entity (mc phono stage) and i couldn't be more pleased with the result. 

superflyback

« Reply #28 on: 22 Dec 2023, 02:13 pm »
Did you buy the Lejonklou? If so, are you satisfied?

Sorry to resurrect this old thread! I ended up putting off buying the table for a few reasons (little kids who love grabbing stuff and money, for two) but am starting to dig in again and am hoping to pull the trigger on the table shortly.

Still not sure about pre-amps. I recently upgraded to an Adcom 915 GFP pre-amp and an Adcom GFA 555 mk II amp, which drive my new-to-me B&W DM-1400s really nicely. TBH I'm not sure if the Lehmann Black Cube or the Adcom can measure up to a much higher-end dedicated Phono stage, but at least I'm no longer worried about wattage or speakers being the weak link (was running cheap bookshelves through an AVR before!). I may try them out at first and see how I feel - unless anyone feels that's a big mistake!