Need help with room layout

vettett15

Need help with room layout
« on: 30 Dec 2023, 06:29 pm »
Moving into a new home and need some help with the best layout.  Eyeing the two options below, like the first one because it puts the speakers and TV on the external wall which I think will be better for keeping noise out of the house and when you enter and exit the room you're doing it from behind the seating position.  The windows are one thing that concerns me, looking at some open baffle speakers so I'm not sure how that would work.

Just looking for the best setup to produce the best sound.  I will have full flexibility on acoustic treatment, can do whatever I need/want.

WGH

Re: Need help with room layout
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2023, 07:12 pm »
... looking at some open baffle speakers so I'm not sure how that would work.

Open baffle speakers sound best at least 24" from the front wall so the exterior wall arrangement would appear to be the best.

vettett15

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2023, 07:13 pm »
That's what I was thinking, I just didn't know if that rear wave hitting the window as opposed to a dry wall surface would impact anything.

JWL.GIK

• Facilitator
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2024, 03:33 pm »
I agree, the top drawing will probably be better at least in terms of access to the room. But with complex rooms like this (not a simple rectangle) it's usually best to experiment with placement. If that was my room I'd consider putting the screen and L-C-R speakers on the left wall of the diagram, firing back toward the doors. This would free up both the left & right sides for treatments, for the very important early reflections. If you face top or bottom you'd likely have to use freestanding treatments in front of the window which is a bit of a hassle and limits what we can do.

I'm not a huge fan of open baffle speakers for several reasons, one of which is that they are more limited with placement, so if you go that route be prepared for a lot of time spent optimizing layout. They usually do prefer to be out from the wall a bit, but if they are less than 4' from a nearby wall there will likely be SBIR issues (nulls in the bass response). But then accurate bass response is not really a characteristic of the open baffle speakers I've heard..... which is another issue.

But regardless of how you set up or which speakers you end up with, we can definitely help with the treatments. Let us know when you're ready.

vettett15

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2024, 04:56 pm »
Interesting you said that, I was originally wanting to put it on the left wall but that window is killing me. Really was hoping to have a wall mounted setup that was super clean (all the plugs behind the TV).  If I went with that wall I'd have to put the TV on some sort of stand and since the room has an equipment closet it seems like a waste having an entertainment stand.  Am I over thinking?