Cheap Tube Integrated Recommendation

monsterbill

• **Click the URL (globe icon below) to see my audio set ups:*
    • My audio set ups:
Re: Cheap Tube Integrated Recommendation
« Reply #20 on: 2 May 2011, 05:39 pm »
Re: miniwatt hum, I could hear it 3 ft away (my listening position) with the music playing at medium levels. It was the amp, and not the power or source, since I tried it with multiple steups in different places. From the boards I learned that a number of N3s have this problem. If I got another one, I would only buy new, and request that the guys at ALO Audio run it before they send it off.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #21 on: 2 May 2011, 09:44 pm »
The original four tube MiniWatt S1 had no such problem and is still sold on ebay for $200 under the name APPJ. The glowing 6moons review even remarked at how dead silent it was with HE speakers.

monsterbill

• My audio set ups:
« Reply #22 on: 2 May 2011, 11:48 pm »
Re: Miniwatt, I've only seen the complaints with the N3, and then only a minority. I think I just happened to get one of the bad ones.

Re: matching with Omegas, I appreciate all the comments--I have a lot to look into! Are there certain styles (eg, push pull vs SET) or tube compliments that work especially well with Omegas in a nearfield, low volume set up? I presumed that I should be looking at low-ish powered SET, but could this mean a greater risk of a noisier amp? I have no idea which tubes would work, other than Poultrygeist's recommendation for 2a3 and some comments on this board that Omegas like EL84. Thoughts?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #23 on: 3 May 2011, 12:32 am »
Push pull amps as a rule offer more power at the expense of odd order harmonics. They generally don't have the detailed sweetness of an SET. Omegas, being high efficiency speakers are often paired with low power single ended amps.

Here's an interesting hand made SE amp that should work well with the Omegas.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Davidyee-Audio-SE-stereo-tube-amp-13DR7-13DE7-hand-made-/300547806754?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item45fa0b9622

markjv

« Reply #24 on: 3 May 2011, 03:45 pm »
Here's another inexpensive SET amp:

http://teconaudio.com/model_55.html

It's had some positive reviews.

monsterbill

• My audio set ups:
« Reply #25 on: 4 May 2011, 03:41 am »
Thanks a bunch for all the input, guys.  I'm really fortunate to have found all you tube/Chi Fi connoisseurs!

I just ordered the Musical Paradise that Ed recommended.  I was prepared to spend more, but I was persuaded by how supportive the manufacturer is to his clients, the quality of the parts (versus Miniwatt) and the unanimously positive chatter on the boards (here, head-fi, diyaudio, a Canadian audio site, some others).  Also, if it works out I'll have a bonus headphone amp *and* enough money leftover to buy a set of Senn cans.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #26 on: 4 May 2011, 11:47 am »
The MP sounds like a good choice. Let us know your impressions.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #27 on: 4 May 2011, 01:39 pm »
My MP301MK2 is out for delivery today---yipppeee!!!! :lol: :lol: :rotflmao: :eyebrows:

unityaudio.ca

« Reply #28 on: 4 May 2011, 07:16 pm »
These are like $260 and I have first version and this one is on its way, a nice quality, excellent sounding piece of gear.
 Musical Paradise MP-301MK2

Here is a link if you want to check it out closer:
http://www.musicalparadise.ca/mp/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=75

I'd vote for that as well.  :thumb:

Poultrygeist

« Reply #29 on: 4 May 2011, 08:47 pm »
Are there any professional reviews of the MP amps?

knut_the_viking

« Reply #30 on: 4 May 2011, 09:54 pm »
Here's another inexpensive SET amp:

http://teconaudio.com/model_55.html

It's had some positive reviews.

I have one. It's my first and only tube amp (so far) but I like it.
Using it with my new Tekton Lore speakers for now.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 4 May 2011, 10:15 pm »

Built like tanks!!!!!
 Sound excellent, fast, very detailed but non-fatiguing, not sweet-more like correct, This isn't even broken in and it sounds very good to me.
 Issues: 1) They run HOT!!!
            2) Headphone gain is too high for some: ie Grado, etc...there is a fix, when ordering let them know your can preference.
      This amp has been out less then a week, mine is running at the 6 hour mark and I'm lovin it!!! :thumb:

Quiet Earth

« Reply #32 on: 5 May 2011, 02:49 am »
They run HOT!

Just out of curiosity.....  Does any specific part run hot like the ac power transformer, the tubes, or one area of the case? Or do you mean that there is a lot of heat coming from the total package? (I realize there is a lot of stuff crammed into that little dude.)

guest1632

« Reply #33 on: 4 Jun 2011, 01:03 pm »
Just out of curiosity.....  Does any specific part run hot like the ac power transformer, the tubes, or one area of the case? Or do you mean that there is a lot of heat coming from the total package? (I realize there is a lot of stuff crammed into that little dude.)

Hi all,

i know I am coming late to this game, but a couple of tube amps should be looked at. I have forgotten the website, but if you google spud amplifiers, you are sure to find it. It is a kit for a few hundred bucks, and what I read, it is another great little amp.

Another way to go is the stuff from Brucefrom Transcendentsound OTL amps. He has just come out with a new model. He's the same guy who produces the "Grounded Grid" Preamp. You either like it or hate it. The amp itself is $700 and $350 for the tubes. Something like 10w per channel. His OTL stuff is supposed to be really good, spooky good.

Just to make things clear, I don't own any of the tube amps.

Ray Bronk

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 4 Jun 2011, 01:27 pm »
Sorry I didn't see this until now- The tubes run hot and the big black thing in the back was very hot but has since cooled down. The box looking thing was getting so hot I couldn't leave my hand on it for more then a few seconds. Since I switched up the tubes its much better all around as far as heat, and any hum that was initially there for a bit. I swapped out Mullard EL34 for the stock tubes in the back and have the stock tubes in the front positions as shipped. I don't know very much about tubes and amps etc. but I know what sounds good to me and this does.

monsterbill

• My audio set ups:
« Reply #35 on: 4 Jun 2011, 08:50 pm »
So...I got the MP 301 MKII, but I didn't like it and returned it.  Too dark...sounded like my speakers had a cold.  Manufacturer said it was because Omegas suck (Boooo!), but I had the same impression using it on my other two speakers (Klipsch Heresy III and VMPS RM30M).  It sounded better when I dropped in a more lively (tinned copper) power cable, but still not for me.

It wasn't a bad amp, and wonder if I would've liked it more on less efficient (less noise) or brighter speakers. 

More to the point of this circle, I think Musical Paradise's manufacturer is right in that the Omega and the MP are a bad match. 

The Miniwatt was a much better match, and I recommend it for folks with Fostex drivers.  I found myself accidentally staying up late to listen it, which I usually don't do with this desktop second system.  The MW was a bit rich to the point of coloration, but I kinda liked that for low res source materials. A trade off for this richness was that it would get pretty muddled with even moderately complex passages.  It did really well with extended frequencies. The volume pot is sort of crappy and I suspect is responsible for some graininess. The unit I had wasn't working properly, so I don't know if the shortcomings would be as apparent on a good one.

I'm now thinking I'll step it up to the Dared 2a3c, unless my checkbook says get another N3.   
« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2011, 11:27 pm by monsterbill »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 9 Jun 2011, 05:58 am »
The Omega Super 3R and the Decware SE84 SET in any of it's configurations from 1996 to the present will do your Omegas a treat.  One of my favourite combos for the near field is the SE84C+, or SE84 Select with the Omega Super 3i (which is the replacement for the Super 3R).
All Decware amps are hand made one at a time in Peoria, Illinois with American components and come with a lifetime warranty and a 30 day trial.  The SE84 SET is an icon in the audio underground and has had a cult following for years.  Bump up your budget from the Chinese stuff a few hundred bucks and buy something you won't likely want to upgrade.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #37 on: 9 Jun 2011, 10:56 am »
"The MiniWatt reminded me of crystalline, fast as a whip, lit up EL84 Decware"

- Srajan

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/miniwatt/miniwatt.html

Louis O

« Reply #38 on: 18 Jun 2011, 10:01 pm »
Hi Canada Rob,

The decware has always had great synergy with the speakers.

Hi Srajan,

I agree the miniwatt is amazing and great value too.

monsterbill

• My audio set ups:
« Reply #39 on: 22 Jun 2011, 10:07 pm »
Louis,
Thanks for weighing in!  Do you like the Decware Zen triode (SE84c+) for your fostex speakers?

I got scared off early on based on the 1.8 wpc (into 8 Ohm) rating, but maybe this was foolish considering I'm only sitting 1 meter from my speakers.