what connector for wiring the A370

flavo

what connector for wiring the A370
« on: 20 May 2018, 09:47 pm »
I got the Speakon connector from Danny and was assuming that it would connect to the A370 and then just use a couple of speaker connectors to connect to the H frame subs. But all the pictures I'm seeing have the Speakon connecting to the H-frame and something else connecting to the A370.
What is that piece that I didnt get with my Speakon connector?
Thanks!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: what connector for wiring the A370
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2018, 11:02 pm »
The Neutrik Speakon jacks and plugs are four conductors, so both the servo and driver wires go to the connector.  Driver wiring is done in the sub cabinet to the jack.  IIRC the driver + and - goes to 1+ and 1- and the servo + and - wires from the sub go to 2+ and 2-. 

You just wire the subs to the Speakon jack on the cabinet in the picture, then connect the amp.  You just insert the amp Speakon plug into the cabinet jack and twist to lock.

Your bottom picture has the Speakon plugs one the servo amps.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2018, 03:02 am by HAL »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2018, 12:40 am »
I've seen them 3 different ways:

1) the female connector is attached to the sub cabinet and the drivers are wired to it; the wires from the A370 pass through a hole in the amp box and have the male connector hooked directly to the A370 wires; then to plug it up just insert the male connector into the connector on the speaker cabinet and twist to lock.

2) the female connector is mounted to the amp box and connected to the A370 wires; the hook up wires to the drivers are made long and the male connector is attached to them; then to plug it up insert the male connector from the speaker wires into the female connector on the amp box and twist

3)  attach a female connector to the sub cabinet and connect the drivers to it; connect a second female connector to the amp box and connect the A370 wires to it, then make up a separate cable with a male connector on both ends.  Connect the amp and cabinet with the interconnect you just made.

When you buy the kit from Danny you get enough connectors for method 1 or 2. If you want to do method 3 you will need more connectors.

As Rich said, all the Neutrik connectors have to be 4 pole, 2 for the driver coil and 2 for the servo coil.

sledwards

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2018, 12:48 am »
Flavo:

I think you are referring to the strain relief I put on the amp box maybe? It's a water-tight compression fitting to keep from pulling on the termination inside of the amplifier. I will try to find out where I bought it if you are interested.

Steve

sledwards

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2018, 12:58 am »

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2018, 02:38 am »
I used speakon connectors, they really do work great. I like them so much I've been trying to figure out what else to do with them :thumb:

What I meant to say hear and didn't is that I used the speakon connectors on both the speaker side and the amp side. Like mentioned above you need the model that allows for 4 wires.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2018, 04:43 pm by gregfisk »

flavo

« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2018, 10:58 pm »
Awesome info everyone.
I figured there were multiple ways to get this done, just wanted to make sure.
Mlundy, Thank you for typing them all out. It is very much appreciated.
Sledward, Thank you for posting the links to what you bought. I was hoping something like that might happen.

Thanks everyone :-)