Slightly different look to the 2A SE

rockadanny

Slightly different look to the 2A SE
« on: 8 Sep 2006, 12:16 pm »
I thought someone might be interested in how well my 2A SE turned out, since it is slightly different looking than most. The color combination was selected by my wife, and Dr. Peppard did a superb job. Red with black oak sides (pretty standard stuff), but with a black face plate. And I LOVE the sound.

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1151856788.jpg

Brad

Re: Slightly different look to the 2A SE
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2006, 02:27 pm »
I like the black face plate with the red chassis.
Nice contrast  :thumb:

Dave G

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2006, 02:45 pm »
This IS nice!  Do you have any pictures showing how it looks with rest of your system?  I also have a MAD 2A SE, and while mine is black with natural oak sides, I've always admired the look of the red cases.

Dave

rockadanny

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2006, 08:45 pm »
Thank you Brad and Dave for the kind words.
Unfortunately I do not have a picture of the entire setup together, only components which can be viewed here: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vstrt&1133881069&read&3&4&
I have no full system picture because my components are stuffed inside a dark cabinet and therefore nothing to take a picture of. It is a shame to hide this beauty (2A SE), but compromise dictates that it live inside the cabinet.   

Berndt

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2006, 12:15 am »
The mapletree aesthetics are exactly right for me.
I can't wait!
I love the wrinkle black but was seduced by the red.
Here we have it all, I see a new option on the horizon?

Frihed91

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2006, 04:10 pm »
His headphone amp is also a terrific instrument.  Mine is in your exact colors, by the way.  How's the preamp sound?  My experience with Mapletree from interacting with Lloyd Peppard to enjoying the music through his instruments is 100% positive.  I've been eyeing that preamp for quite a while.

rockadanny

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2006, 09:46 pm »
Pardon me for repeating what I stated at the good Dr.'s site (Customer Feedback):

"I want to tell you how enormously pleased I am with the Line 2A SE you built for me. After playing for several hours yesterday I sat down for some critical listening in the evening. My criticalness quickly turned to fun, loading CD after CD for a few tracks on each (which went like: ... Wow! OK, but how about THIS track? … Excellent! OK, how about THIS one? Fantastic! …) What a joy! This is an awesome preamp. I hear detail unheard before, yet the overall sound is smooth as can be. Regardless of the type of music played, it all sounds fabulous: detailed, rich, full, clear, extended on both ends.  Even with less than stellar recorded material. While testing its capabilities listening to Dave Brubeck, Rory Block, Jennifer Warnes, Edgar Winter, Luca Bloom, Jimi Hendrix, Anita O’Day, Mark Murphy, Patricia Barber, Keb Mo, etc., it quickly became obvious that you build one heck of a preamp. Brass and woodwind instruments sound like brass and woodwind instruments, not just some indiscriminant reproduction of notes. A saxaphone has a reed, and I want to hear that reed. With your preamp I do. I don’t understand how one could get a clearer, more detailed sound without losing musicality. This preamp is just darned fun to experience. I wonder why so many preamps out there are so much larger, complicated, and more expensive? For what purpose? But then again I don’t care, now that I have one of yours. All I know is at this point I am so completely, overwhelmingly satisfied with my system now, that I am finally done searching for audio nirvana. Seriously. With your preamp, I finally have it! And I (and my wife) LOVE IT!" 

That was a couple of months ago, and to this day I cannot imagine ever changing it out for anything else. I like it that much, and I am very very picky when it comes to sound quality.