Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC / Amp

Rob50

Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC / Amp
« on: 23 May 2018, 08:59 pm »
Hi guys,

I've been considering buying the above for sometime now. Do any of you own it & if so, could you give any feedback please ? I've read many positive reviews, but given the expense, i don't want to take the plumge & be disappointed.

keenween

Re: Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC / Amp
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2018, 10:47 pm »
I have no direct experience with it, but I've drooled over it a bit. I like my Sony products though: PHA-2A portable dac/amp, ZX300 walkman and MA-900 headphones (with a driver predecessor to the Z1R driver). The MA-900 has been my daily driver for years now.

If you are interested in the TA-ZH1ES for a headphone unit, might depend on the headphones you have. I think its a really good looking unit and probably shines as a desktop solution. As either a DAC or a preamp (or combo) on an audio rack I am guessing there are competitive alternatives in the price range. If you like the Sony sound, guessing its similar.

Rob50

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2018, 08:30 am »
I have no direct experience with it, but I've drooled over it a bit. I like my Sony products though: PHA-2A portable dac/amp, ZX300 walkman and MA-900 headphones (with a driver predecessor to the Z1R driver). The MA-900 has been my daily driver for years now.

If you are interested in the TA-ZH1ES for a headphone unit, might depend on the headphones you have. I think its a really good looking unit and probably shines as a desktop solution. As either a DAC or a preamp (or combo) on an audio rack I am guessing there are competitive alternatives in the price range. If you like the Sony sound, guessing its similar.

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, i've been drooling too ! I love Sony products, Walkman, Headphones, e.t.c. If it were nearer the £1.000 mark i would have snapped one up. Still might be tempted at the current price of £1.499, especially if i hear of more good feedback. ( Oppo PM3's are my current main headphones. )

Steven Stone

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2018, 05:42 pm »
I have used the TA-ZH1ES with ALL my headphone reviews for the past eight months. I consider it an essential component. I would have reviewed it for TAS, but since I did both of its two companion products, the headphones and portable player, TAS passed on a review of the headphone amp/DAC. I have been impressed with its ability to drive anything difficult yet not hiss with sensitive in-ears. Also it's a fine preamplifier...

Rob50

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2018, 07:58 pm »
I have used the TA-ZH1ES with ALL my headphone reviews for the past eight months. I consider it an essential component. I would have reviewed it for TAS, but since I did both of its two companion products, the headphones and portable player, TAS passed on a review of the headphone amp/DAC. I have been impressed with its ability to drive anything difficult yet not hiss with sensitive in-ears. Also it's a fine preamplifier...

Thanks for the excellent feedback. I've got a Sony Walkman ZX2, which i'm using with TRRS cable, which sounds fantastic. I also have a Sony HAP-S1, which i find is excellent with speakers. I'm assuming the TA, is on a different level to these ? ( I know you may not own these products, or have experience of them ? )

Sorry, just re-reading, did you test the signature Walkman with the TA ? If so, how did that sound & was there any obvious difference, to the stand alone Walkman ?

Steven Stone

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2018, 03:16 pm »
I did not test the NW-WM1Z attached to the TA-ZH1ES, but I have been using the portable player attached to the TA-ZH1ES for a couple of months now. I wouldn't say identical sound, but quite similar. Since the player is so heavy (and expensive) I don't travel with it. For travel I currently use HIDIZ 80 due to its small size, light weight and ability to serve multiple functions. The Sony player is easily the best sounding player I've used, but it is very limited in functionality...