Logic pro x vinyl archiving, missing bits

jschwenker

Logic pro x vinyl archiving, missing bits
« on: 24 Jan 2018, 04:58 pm »
I have mastered most all the fundamental parts of the process. Can make good recordings of full albums, get them into project form, able to bounce out to completed desired file formats, understand and have done volume level normalized vs non-normalized processes.

The parts I’m missing, would like to be able to do are: Split the recordings up into individual song tracks and maybe assign titles. In the best of worlds then I would finally bounce the full set of songs (album) out all normalized together, such that songs retain the original volume relationships. (soft tracks and heavy tracks as they were on the original disk)

Can anyone point me to some tutorial materials that might include steps covering some of these topics? Thanks a 1x10^6!!

John

richidoo

Re: Logic pro x vinyl archiving, missing bits
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2018, 08:00 pm »
I used an old version of SoundForge to do that editing and track cutting of larger recorded file. I marked the beginning of each song (keeping the silence at the end of each track to preserve the original interval between songs,) then SoundForge had a command to convert time marks to sections, then a command to export sections to files. It was more of stereo mastering/editing software. I found it more productive than doing the same jobs on Sonar which didn't have the same tools. I imagine modern version of Logic has every editing tool ever imagined.

I also used it to manually remove big pops by redrawing the waveform to replace the transient spike, and then to analyze the track for peak level and normalize that to full scale, before cutting up the tracks to separate files.

If Logic doesn't have command to convert marks to sections, export sectoins, maybe there is another software for Mac that can do those functions. I found using SoundForge much easier than doing those editing and mastering jobs on Sonar.

jschwenker

Re: Logic pro x vinyl archiving, missing bits
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2018, 05:29 pm »
Thanks for your descriptions. It is helpful in that maybe I can go find some similar tools/processes within the Logic way of doing things.