ModWright Integrated

modwright

Re: ModWright Integrated
« Reply #100 on: 11 Jun 2012, 05:32 pm »
There is not a standby mode, no.  Because it is a Class A/B design however, it does not idle hot, so you could simply mute the volume control and the amp would essentially be in standby, as the idle current is not high at all.

I would say that it warms up in about 30 minutes or so.  I honestly have not listened from cold start and watched the clock to be sure.

It warms up faster than tube gear however.

Thank you,

Dan W.

Audioexcels

« Reply #101 on: 1 Aug 2012, 11:39 am »
Dan,

How much space does the line stage part of the amplifier take or or where is it located?  The reason why I ask this is because I will have this amplifier soon, but I LOVE my Preamp+Dac units (very small=wouldn't require much room inside the case but I can see the case is quite loaded as it is).  I will obviously test the amp as it is, but I would also like to know how difficult it would be to work in my own line stage+dac that takes up approximately 6"'s square of space?  I prefer to have this inside the amplifier with short leads and also to only have one single cable (coax) running to my source.  Would you PM me a price or if it's even possible for you to do such a thing, that is, if I do not like your line stage more.  Granted the amp is one I believe to be an absolute keeper for years, I would be willing to give up the line stage inside this unit, keeping the digital remote attenuating device for volume that would attach to my own line stage+dac.

Probably not making a whole lot of sense, but PM me if you will to let me know if we can make this happen granted again, that it is something I feel will be the best path for me.

My friend has been absolutely LOVING his KWA-150 and LS36.5;)...he says he's never heard the level of resolution combined with presence this combo makes.  He doesn't know what it would cost to beat this, but feels it is in a truly elite category.

Cheers and keep up the good stuff and enjoy the gorgeous weather we are getting at least hear on the Northernish OR coast!!!
« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2012, 02:03 pm by Audioexcels »

modwright

« Reply #102 on: 11 Sep 2012, 12:39 am »
What you can do, is actually operate the KWI 200 as a straight amplifier, via the 'Bypass' inputs.  In this mode, you could run your preamp/DAC, straight into the Bypass inputs of the amp and control volume from the preamp.  This will bypass the internal preamp stage in the KWI 200.

We have done it with all of our tube preamps, in conjunction with the KWI 200 as a straight amplifier and it also works FANTASTIC this way.

Thanks!

Dan

Afterimage

« Reply #103 on: 21 Sep 2012, 01:38 pm »
Speaking of tubes, did I see mention somewhere there could be a 300 watt hybrid integrated in the works sometime in the future?  That would be amazing. 

modwright

« Reply #104 on: 22 Sep 2012, 01:21 am »
It is a though in my mind, but nothing more right now....

I originally intended to do a hybrid integrated, but I realized that it would push the price-point too high, so I decided to start first with a pure SS design and LATER do a hybrid amp, possibly of higher power and certainly of higher price.  No release date or price.  Merely a thought at this time.

Thanks,

Dan W.

maxboy00

« Reply #105 on: 5 Oct 2012, 12:17 pm »
What you can do, is actually operate the KWI 200 as a straight amplifier, via the 'Bypass' inputs.  In this mode, you could run your preamp/DAC, straight into the Bypass inputs of the amp and control volume from the preamp.  This will bypass the internal preamp stage in the KWI 200.

We have done it with all of our tube preamps, in conjunction with the KWI 200 as a straight amplifier and it also works FANTASTIC this way.

Thanks!

Dan

I have the KWI-200 and think it is an outstanding amp, is there any reason why someone would need to add a separate LS preamp? is there any benefit and does this not defeat to purpose of an integrated amp in the first place?  Just asking!   

modwright

« Reply #106 on: 5 Oct 2012, 04:17 pm »
Hi, I agree, the purpose of an integrated is to be an integrated.  Many integrated amps also offer preamp inputs and outputs, so that a person may add a second amp or choose to upgrade the preamp section of their integrated with a separate preamp.

The KWI 200 is a brilliant Integrated Amp!  It is a pure SS design.  I had initially looked at a hybrid design and it would have driven the price up too high.  As a result, I made it pure SS and released it at its price, that I feel is an exceptional value!

My point about adding the LS 100 to the mix is simply that it sounds EVEN better when tubes are in the mix.  It is at that point, an entirely different priced system and no longer acting as an integrated. 

I always like our products to offer logical upgrade paths.  Using a tube preamp like the LS 100 IS a way to upgrade the sound from the KWI 200 as an integrated.  This does not mean that it isn't a great integrated.

I hope this makes sense.

Please see more recent post of new ModWright KWI 200 review!: http://www.witchdoctor.co.nz/index.php/2012/10/modwright-instruments-kwi-200-integrated-amplifier-review/

Please note that the pricing indicated in the review is in $NZ.  If you are interested in pricing in $U.S., please email us or your local dealer.

Sincerely,

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2012, 07:23 pm by modwright »

srb

« Reply #107 on: 5 Oct 2012, 05:00 pm »
For some, even if the sound of the integrated amplifier is not wanting for tubes, the Bypass inputs also facilitate the integration of a home theater surround processor or receiver into the 2 channel system, allowing the front L and R preamp outputs of the processor to directly go into the power amp section without going through a second preamp section.

Steve

fado

« Reply #108 on: 5 Oct 2012, 05:48 pm »
It seems like the review shows incorrect (very high) pricing for the KWI 200.

fado

« Reply #109 on: 5 Oct 2012, 05:59 pm »
Just found earlier post clarifying that prices in the review are in $NZ.

maxboy00

« Reply #110 on: 6 Oct 2012, 06:25 pm »
My point about adding the LS 100 to the mix is simply that it sounds EVEN better when tubes are in the mix.  It is at that point, an entirely different priced system and no longer acting as an integrated. 

If going with this option, is the difference in sound quality a marked difference? Over the existing PA of the KWI-200? I have no experience with tube gear at all and I have some interest in pursuing this path.

modwright

« Reply #111 on: 9 Oct 2012, 10:32 pm »
Yes, using a tube preamp to bypass the Integrated amps own preamp section WILL sound better!  It is also more money and another component.  I am saying this to explain that when used as a 'separate' with a separate tube preamp, YES, the KWI 200 sounds EVEN better as an amp.

Thanks,

Dan

Agrippa

« Reply #112 on: 7 Apr 2013, 08:54 am »
I can't seem to find any specs for the optional phono stage anywhere, but maybe you could post the details here?

I'm currently considering downscaling and looking for a really good integrated amplifier.  Trouble is, I'd want one that also has a really good phono stage and that seems to limit my choices to a small handful at best.  Sadly not a single one of the KWI 200 reviews I've found have even tested the phono stage, so whether or not it can be included in that small handful is an open question.  The phono specs won't really give me the answer, of course, but I'd appreciate the indication they'll give me either way.

modwright

« Reply #113 on: 17 Apr 2013, 05:29 pm »
Hi, the phono stage is good.  It is a $350 option and is full solid-state.  It offers a net gain of 56dB for phono and preamp stage in integrated.  As such, without a step-up transformer, is best suited for high-output MC and MM carts.

I hope that this helps!

Thanks,

Dan W.

AIB

« Reply #114 on: 7 Sep 2013, 07:55 pm »
Is there a best way too burn in the KWI 200? I also use it with TV and wonder if it should be burned in while playing music and therefor more use of power..

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
« Reply #115 on: 15 Sep 2013, 05:07 pm »
I can't seem to find any specs for the optional phono stage anywhere, but maybe you could post the details here?

I'm currently considering downscaling and looking for a really good integrated amplifier.  Trouble is, I'd want one that also has a really good phono stage and that seems to limit my choices to a small handful at best.  Sadly not a single one of the KWI 200 reviews I've found have even tested the phono stage, so whether or not it can be included in that small handful is an open question.  The phono specs won't really give me the answer, of course, but I'd appreciate the indication they'll give me either way.

I have also been looking for KWI-200 phono reviews.  The onboard phono was  great convenience for my phono interests (neophyte).  Although I have large digital library (CD and hi-res downloads), I wanted to have a phono input to "experiment" with vinyl.  The MWI-200 is absolutely perfect for my use but some comparative review or guidance on turntables and cartridges from an experienced vinyl guru would be helpful.  I was thinking about a VPI Classic 3 (used) or a Clearaudio Concept but I get the impression that TT and cartridge choices have high variability with results.  Basically, what are some good "matches" for this phono stage that will an "on-ramp" to experience what vinyl has to offer?  I don't want to spend a lot on a TT/cart but I don't want to go cheap and be disappointed. I feel the "simplicity" of the Clearaudio Concept might be right but are there better "matches" from VPI, Project, Rega, etc.

Any user feedback would be great.

Sonny

« Reply #116 on: 20 Oct 2013, 01:12 am »
I currently have a KWI 200 right now and I think it's wonderful!  It replaced the Pass Labs X1 and X250 Combo and while it give up a little warmth and body that the Pass has, it's much more dynamic and has loads of slam!  Also, it's just a nicely designed piece of gear and as it burns in I will let you know.  I think it's better suited in my system than the Pass gear was. 

More to come...

BTW, I am using it as a full integrated with my Marantz SA11S3 as a source for SACD/CD and DAC.

pingpong

« Reply #117 on: 15 Dec 2013, 02:37 pm »
Hi All,

fellow KWI 200 user reporting here. Looking for a pair of speaker to match the KWI 200. shortlisted Aerial Acoustic 7T. anyone heard the KWI 200 together with the 7T? Would they be a good match?

Thank you.

Cheers.

maxboy00

« Reply #118 on: 16 Dec 2013, 12:18 am »
 "Looking for a pair of speaker to match the KWI 200".

You have no worries, the KWI-200 has plenty of  power, finesse and headroom to drive virtually any speaker, so sit back and enjoy this amp it is a gem.

Artp

« Reply #119 on: 16 Dec 2013, 03:51 pm »
I'm using the KWI 200 with Vandersteen 3A Sigs and a MW tubed Oppo...amazing sound! BTW this amp really takes a big step up with a Shunyata Python power cord and some Stillpoints Ultras.