Preamp ideas?

GeneS

Preamp ideas?
« on: 26 Mar 2021, 01:51 pm »
I’m looking for a very inexpensive preamp to hold me over until my “real” preamp is done being built. I was going to get the Schiit SYS, but they are on back order until 5/2 (and that’s no guarantee).
I’m drawing a blank on any other brands or options that might fit the bill. I don’t need any more than 2 or 3 analog inputs.
Like I said, this is just to get me through.
Thanks in advance.

pinkfloyd4ever

Re: Preamp ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2021, 04:38 pm »

jmc207

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2021, 11:00 pm »

navi

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2021, 11:21 pm »
Topping L30 only 1 input though, Don't buy 2nd hand off ebay as it could be an issue (pre serial No.2012 had problems)

Cheap and cheerful pre amp.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2021, 11:38 pm »
The Maverick Audio D1 for $200.  I have one that I would let  go for $100 in very good condition and little use.  You would have to pay for shipping from MN. The Op amps were upgraded to 0627's.  You can use it as a DAC, Preamp or both.

https://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/d1p

I can't remember if mine is the plus version or not.

Delta77

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2021, 12:02 am »
Pardon me for asking, GeneS
What preamp are you waiting on..?

Burt..

GeneS

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2021, 12:56 am »
First, thank you all for your ideas and input (no pun intended). I knew this group would come through! :thumb:
Obviously, I could get by with one input. It would mean changing it every time I change my source. Not ideal, but *possible*.
Hard to compete with a $49 Schiit component that will do what I want for a finite period of time and then be relegated to the “where did I put that” pile.  :scratch:
@Delta77 an Odyssey Candela, soon to be ordered.

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2021, 01:07 am »
The Maverick Audio D1 for $200.  I have one that I would let  go for $100 in very good condition and little use.  You would have to pay for shipping from MN. The Op amps were upgraded to 0627's.  You can use it as a DAC, Preamp or both.

https://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/d1p

I can't remember if mine is the plus version or not.

Hey, if Gene is going to pass on your deal..... Though I want to make sure that it has the 110/220V switch on it.

PM me.

GeneS

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2021, 01:13 am »
I yield the offer and the remainder of my minutes to the gentleman from Moab, Utah.
(You guys have a great race out there....Moab 240).

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2021, 01:43 am »
I yield the offer and the remainder of my minutes to the gentleman from Moab, Utah.
(You guys have a great race out there....Moab 240).

Thanks. They even have shorter ones like 150 and at least a couple of 100's. But I think I'll have to pass.  8)

ketchup

« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2021, 02:42 am »
Why not just buy something you always wanted to try used and sell it later?  If you do it right, you won't lose anything.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2021, 02:51 am »

Hey, if Gene is going to pass on your deal..... Though I want to make sure that it has the 110/220V switch on it.

PM me.

Yes it does, PM sent.

Larry

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2021, 02:56 am »
You can have someone build a Pass designed Amp Camp Preamp for you or build it yourself:

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/newest-releases/products/acp-amp-camp-pre-amp?variant=31783672152137

Definitely cheap and cheerful. Doubles as a headamp.

Best,
Anand.

ginetto61

« Reply #13 on: 27 Mar 2022, 09:18 pm »
Topping L30 only 1 input though, Don't buy 2nd hand off ebay as it could be an issue (pre serial No.2012 had problems)
Cheap and cheerful pre amp.
Hi sorry for taking up again this old post.   :oops:
I have two questions
1)  did you test it ?  can you describe its sound ?
2)  where i can read the serial no. ?
Thanks a lot
Regards, gino

navi

« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2022, 03:46 am »
Hi sorry for taking up again this old post.   :oops:
I have two questions
1)  did you test it ?  can you describe its sound ?
2)  where i can read the serial no. ?
Thanks a lot
Regards, gino

1/I have it. Currently it's being used by my cousin for headphones.  Sound is clean noise free. If you want more sparkle go coloured tubes
2/ serial on the side. I had "2006" serial and they replaced it. Check the ASR and it's 257 pages: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-l30-headphone-amplifier-review.15226/

ginetto61

« Reply #15 on: 28 Mar 2022, 07:23 am »
1/I have it. Currently it's being used by my cousin for headphones.  Sound is clean noise free. If you want more sparkle go coloured tubes
2/ serial on the side. I had "2006" serial and they replaced it. Check the ASR and it's 257 pages: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-l30-headphone-amplifier-review.15226/
Hi ! thank you very much indeed for your kind reply.  I knew the unit but i did not know that it can be also a decent line preamp
The sparkle is a really nice thing to get by the way.  Often solid state preamps sound clean but a little flat (poor 3d soundstage) and liveless.   
I am still confused about the best approach.  For me 3d soundstage is really everything.  A preamp that cannot soundstage is a bad one.
Kind regards, gino

navi

« Reply #16 on: 28 Mar 2022, 10:51 am »
Hi ! thank you very much indeed for your kind reply.  I knew the unit but i did not know that it can be also a decent line preamp
The sparkle is a really nice thing to get by the way.  Often solid state preamps sound clean but a little flat (poor 3d soundstage) and liveless.   
I am still confused about the best approach.  For me 3d soundstage is really everything.  A preamp that cannot soundstage is a bad one.
Kind regards, gino

For me the L30 sounds really good but compared to my passive Intact Audio/Slagle auto former, the Autoformer has the sparkle on the top with what sounds like dimension, depth 3D space in the sound but the bass doesn't have the deep tightness of the L30.

Which do I prefer using, Topping L30 or Autoformer passive? Autoformer Passive. easy. no power. I only need a short lead from it to my power amp.

Your best approach is to try everything but also know there is no one preamp that suits every power amp.

ginetto61

« Reply #17 on: 28 Mar 2022, 11:45 am »
For me the L30 sounds really good but compared to my passive Intact Audio/Slagle auto former, the Autoformer has the sparkle on the top with what sounds like dimension, depth 3D space in the sound but the bass doesn't have the deep tightness of the L30.
Which do I prefer using, Topping L30 or Autoformer passive? Autoformer Passive. easy. no power.  I only need a short lead from it to my power amp.
Your best approach is to try everything but also know there is no one preamp that suits every power amp. 

Thanks again.  I like the liberty that an active preamp provides to use different power amps.  Even if i understand that a passive solution could be a very transparent approach.   I was looking at this one here   https://it.aliexpress.com/item/32840083176.html
I think that the impedance matching issue is often not solved properly.  I see resistors based passive preamps with too high input impedance.
The famous Placette has around 10k of Zin.  The attenuator of the link is only 2kohm if i understand well.   
I have done in the past some tests ... i had a 10k log Alps blue pot and a 20K log series resistors attenuator.   The 10k pot provided a more dynamic sound but the 20k attenuator a much more transparent sound.    So i would like to try a 5k log attenuator and listen.   Maybe even 2,5k log one.   
It would be a diy solution.    But the active solution is so convenient that is difficult to abandon. 
I have a friend with a L30 ... i will ask him if i can try it in my system.   And i will check for the series no.
Thanks again, gino

Wayner

« Reply #18 on: 28 Mar 2022, 02:22 pm »
Get the little FXAudio's Tube-06 (I have one). It has one analog and 1 digital (USB-B) input. I did a tube swap and it sound pretty nice. If you need more inputs, get a switcher and feed that into the FX. Nice to have as a back-up.

ginetto61

« Reply #19 on: 28 Mar 2022, 08:26 pm »
Get the little FXAudio's Tube-06 (I have one). It has one analog and 1 digital (USB-B) input. I did a tube swap and it sound pretty nice. If you need more inputs, get a switcher and feed that into the FX. Nice to have as a back-up.
Hi thank you very much for the helpful advice.  Actually i have already the cheaper Tube-01 ... this one

if i understand well the Tube-06 has also opamps in the signal path ?  that would improve the driving abilities of the preamp
I use only solid state power amps.   I am currently using a Stello s100 mk I    A nice little amp   I am using small bookshelf speakers
https://6moons.com/audioreviews2/stello/3.html