NuPrime Omnia S1 at Paris Audio Show, Oct 21-23

rustydoglim

NuPrime Omnia S1 at Paris Audio Show, Oct 21-23
« on: 14 Oct 2018, 05:08 pm »
Omnia S1 will be on demo at Paris Audio Show, Oct 20,21,22
https://www.parisaudiovideoshow.com

Distributor has received it and reported that everything working fine. Whew! I was worried that it won't survived the trip. The digital outputs already came loose when it was at the GuanZhou hi-fi show last month. This is the only prototype making its way around (China -> Singapore -> Paris).
But we are already making more pre production units after going through hardware and software test.

Samoyed

Re: NuPrime Omnia S1 at Paris Audio Show, Oct 21-23
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2018, 11:36 am »
What is the s1?

rustydoglim

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2018, 11:31 am »
A Desktop All-In-One Hi-Res Media Server, Streamer, Player, DAC & Headphone Amp

The NuPrime Omnia S1 is the heart of your high-end music system with the following differentiating features:

1. The ARM CPU, firmware and upgradable DAC module handle 32-bit/768kHz and DSD1024 decoding of any available music format. Current production model supports DAC module with ESS9018K2M (standard) or AKM4490EQ (upon request) DAC chip.

2. Audio Processing Decoupled from CPU: To isolate the audio processing from performance degradation due to high CPU utilization or signal drop-off due to wireless congestion, the Omnia Audio Processor Unit (OAP Unit) operates independently from the CPU and provides caching of digital music and completely eliminates jitter.

3. Real-Time Hardware Decoding.
4. Sampling rate conversion.
5. Custom designed OPA chip with high output current for headphones Amplifier & Line Out (XLR, RCA).

Inputs:

•   3 x USB (Host) port for high-speed external HDD & wifi dongle or keyboard / mouse.
•   1 x Ethernet RJ45 10Mbit/100Mbit/1Gbit

Outputs:

•   1 x Optical
•   1 x Coaxial
•   1 x HDMI output (720P)
•   1 x Balance Output (XLR)
•   1 x Single-ended (RCA)
•   1 x Headphones Amp (6.3mm). Volume controlled output.

Supported file types:
•   AAC, AIF, ALAC, CUE, APE, DIF, DSF, FLAC, MP3, OGG, WAV, WV and WMA

Sampling Rate:

•   44.1Khz - 768Khz PCM at 16 - 32bits
•   DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, DSD512, DSD1024

Linear output specifications:

•   Frequency response range: 20 - 20KHz, +/- 0.1dB
•   THD : < 0.001%, 20Hz-20KHz at 0dBFS
•   Dynamic range: 110dB, 20Hz-20KHz, A-weighted
•   Line output voltage (Single-ended): 2Vrms
•   Line output voltage (Balance): 8Vrms
•   Headphone amplifier output matching impedance: 32~600 Ohm
•   Headphone amplifier output power: 100mW ~ 1W (≤1%)

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2018, 11:38 am »
This is the long in the wait product that is finally coming out.
Here's how you would use it:

1. Desktop Player - Connect a display, keyboard, mouse to Omnia S1 and use it as a high end player to play Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, ....all day long. You don't need a smart phone to control it.

2. Music Server - connect hard drive (there is an opening at the bottom for easy install of hard drive) internally or through USB ports at the front and back.

3. Streaming receiver - use smartphone to stream from other music server to Omnia S1.

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2018, 11:45 am »
The analog output can be fixed (ie not affected by software player's volume) or software controlled (through admin setting).  It comes with an IR remote control for adjusting its hardware volume control.

Price = reasonable, hopefully $995.

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2018, 11:51 am »
The analog output can be fixed (ie not affected by software player's volume) or software controlled (through admin setting).  It comes with an IR remote control for adjusting its hardware volume control.

Price = reasonable, hopefully $995.
Roon endpoint?

mr_bill

« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2018, 04:51 pm »
Awesome product.  Low price!
Would love to see pics.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2018, 07:47 pm »
Here you can see some pictures.  Looks like the enclosure used on the IDA-8 and the 9s:
NuPrime Facebook Post

left channel

• Everyone wants to date my avatar
« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2018, 03:36 pm »
I'm happy to see the option of ESS or AKM DACs! But software will be key to success. Exactly how does it work with Tidal/Spotify/Qobuz/etc? Is it "Roon Ready"? Can it be a Roon Core? How would we install LMS and Squeezelite? BubbleUPnP? MinimServer? Subsonic? Plex? 

dburna

« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2018, 04:08 pm »
I'm happy to see the option of ESS or AKM DACs! But software will be key to success. Exactly how does it work with Tidal/Spotify/Qobuz/etc? Is it "Roon Ready"? Can it be a Roon Core? How would we install LMS and Squeezelite? BubbleUPnP? MinimServer? Subsonic? Plex?

Additionally, I'd like to understand how the Omnia performs relative to the DAC9/DAC10 as a DAC. Is this intended to "duplicate the performance" these models PLUS add streamer capability all for a lower price point? Is this truly a one-box solution, or will you still get better DAC performance by using the DAC9/DAC10? Either way, this looks like a compelling product for many in the marketplace. Just get one of these, add active speakers, and you are......DONE!

Regards, -dGB

Samoyed

« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2018, 05:19 pm »
If so, my week old, more expensive DAC 10 makes me feel screwed.

dburna

« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2018, 05:22 pm »
If so, my week old, more expensive DAC 10 makes me feel screwed.

I wouldn't feel that way. The DAC10 (I have one) is excellent. But time -- and technology -- march on. I am interested in NuPrime's response on this, whether the Omnia is meant as a "competitor" for the DAC9/DAC10 or a complementary piece.

Regards, -dGB

JackD

« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2018, 06:46 pm »
I seriously doubt't you would be getting more for less.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2018, 07:26 pm »
For one, the Omnia has only USB input for digital sources... so a TV, or AV Receiver, or many other devices (including CD transports) are not an option.

dburna

« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2018, 08:39 pm »
For one, the Omnia has only USB input for digital sources... so a TV, or AV Receiver, or many other devices (including CD transports) are not an option.

True, but I run a minimalist digital/network system. Haven't played a CD on my CD player in several years. An Ethernet port (or wireless) with a USB back-up would be just fine for me. Every time I make a change to my system these days, it gets smaller and less complicated...and generally sounds better for the change. Haven't had to make a trade-off between simplicity and sound quality yet.

-dGB

dburna

« Reply #15 on: 22 Oct 2018, 08:40 pm »
True, but I run a minimalist digital/network system. Haven't played a CD on my CD player in several years. An Ethernet port (or wireless) with a USB back-up would be just fine for me. Every time I make a change to my system these days, it gets smaller and less complicated...and generally sounds better for the change. Haven't had to make a trade-off between simplicity and sound quality yet.

-dGB

P.S. I am giving consideration to changing my avatar soon. My Philadelphia Eagles are stinking up the joint. February seems an eon ago.

rustydoglim

« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2018, 01:16 pm »
Omnia S1 is positioned to complement other existing products, so it is intentionally without digital inputs.

giordy60

« Reply #17 on: 29 Oct 2018, 04:13 pm »
Jason
When is the distribution at retailers?

rustydoglim

« Reply #18 on: 29 Oct 2018, 11:13 pm »
I think samples to distributors before end of the year. Actual mass production shipping mid January.
Due to US tariff, Taiwan factories are getting unusual amount of orders so everything is delayed.  Even though Nuprime is not affected by tariff, but still getting collateral damage, lol.

PaoloB

« Reply #19 on: 27 Dec 2018, 05:21 pm »
I have not understood if the Omnia S1 is also a preamplifier, in order to be connected directly to a STA9 or STA10.
It would make sense, due to the technology of the Nuprime integrated amplifiers.

Any plan to release a similar model without integrated DAC? It coul be well seen as a pure digital transport solution.
Does it support Internet Radios and has some technicality in order to optimize their sound?