ModWright Oppo BDP-95 Mods?.....YES!

modwright

Re: ModWright Oppo BDP-95 Mods?.....YES!
« Reply #200 on: 29 Jun 2012, 12:26 pm »
First of all, power cords DO make a difference.  There are a lot out there and I can only speak for the ones that I have used and like.

Audience powerChord.
WyWires power cords.
VooDoo cables Dragon series.
Acoustic Zen and Harmonic Tech.
Millersound.

To be honest, I have been too busy lately to critically listen with all different power cords and give a huge thumbs up to one over the others.  I have not heard the Granite Audio or Audio Magic cords, although I have used many other of Jerry's (Audio Magic) products and they are great.

Hopefully others will chime in with their preferences.

Thanks,

Dan

truant

« Reply #201 on: 29 Jun 2012, 05:35 pm »
Thanks Dan.  My experience has always been that power cords are a very important part of the system.  I've owned many pcs over the years yet have had only a few through my system since owning the OPPO.  The Stefan Audio Art Endorphin, Granite Audio 555, SoundString and SoniKleer have been hooked up to the OPPO at various times since having it modified this past winter.  I did order the Audio Magic Liquid Air yesterday.  The entry cable not the Clairvoyant. I'll report back once I've had some time to listen.

truant

« Reply #202 on: 30 Aug 2012, 06:32 pm »
A brief update:  I've been listening to my OPPO 95 with the Audio Magic power cord as well as a couple of my other current cords.  Initially, I was drawn to what I would describe as the AM cord's analogue character:  warm yet detailed.  Maybe a bit soft. Eventually I put my Stefan Audio Art Endorphin pc (which has been one of my all time favorites) back in.  It seems to bring more verve to the music while still avoiding many of the usual digital nasties. Then back to the Audio Magic.  Then
in went my Avondale BLUE cable and I was reminded why I've like this cord so much.  A great sense of air as well as good PRAT.  I also went back into the OPPO's audio settings again.  After adjusting the crossover, trim, and distance settings I am stunned by how much more LIVE the music sounds.  When I changed settings my AM pc was on my Gallo sub and that is still where it is.  At some point I'll move it back to the OPPO with the current settings.  Even though I've tweaked the OPPO's audio settings numerous times since the original purchase and then since Dan's SS mod I've not stumbled upon a combination as successful as this. 

aggielaw

« Reply #203 on: 17 Jan 2013, 03:40 am »
A brief update:  I've been listening to my OPPO 95 with the Audio Magic power cord as well as a couple of my other current cords.  Initially, I was drawn to what I would describe as the AM cord's analogue character:  warm yet detailed.  Maybe a bit soft. Eventually I put my Stefan Audio Art Endorphin pc (which has been one of my all time favorites) back in.  It seems to bring more verve to the music while still avoiding many of the usual digital nasties. Then back to the Audio Magic.  Then
in went my Avondale BLUE cable and I was reminded why I've like this cord so much.  A great sense of air as well as good PRAT.  I also went back into the OPPO's audio settings again.  After adjusting the crossover, trim, and distance settings I am stunned by how much more LIVE the music sounds.  When I changed settings my AM pc was on my Gallo sub and that is still where it is.  At some point I'll move it back to the OPPO with the current settings.  Even though I've tweaked the OPPO's audio settings numerous times since the original purchase and then since Dan's SS mod I've not stumbled upon a combination as successful as this. 

Truant, what settings did you settle on?

Thanks!
Howard

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #204 on: 26 Jan 2013, 05:40 pm »
A question and a comment.

Question: Will Oppo perform repairs on a ModWright-modded 95?  I have a 95 that I bought new in Jan 2011 that just 'died'.  For video at least - get no display other than a (distorted) Oppo logo screen.

The unit serves as one of my audio sources (the other being a Mac Mini-fed Mytek Stereo 192 DAC) as well as the family DVD spinner & Netflix streamer.

Comment: The unit will certainly be down for awhile so I just picked up a used 95 with the full MW tube mods, including a Bybee and Audio Pulse Gen module.  When I have the SS-modded 95 back I will compare the two extensively on audio.  I myself have never seen a side-by-side comparison of the SS-vs-tube mod.  I suppose it won't be exactly apples vs. apples since the tubed unit does have the other two, power-supply-related mods.

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #205 on: 26 Jan 2013, 05:57 pm »
I prefer the voodoo power cords myself which i use currently.

modwright

« Reply #206 on: 26 Jan 2013, 07:28 pm »
We will certainly service the Oppo 95, for the cost of parts and min. labor.  This is a issue that would normally be covered by the Oppo warranty, but we can purchase replacement parts and PCB's from Oppo and will service all of our modified products.  I expect that replacing the video PCB is what is needed.

I believe that you will greatly prefer the sound of the tube modified unit for audio.

I agree, the VooDoo power cords are very good!

Thanks,

Dan Wright

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #207 on: 26 Jan 2013, 07:40 pm »
Dan, that is great to hear.  I believe the unit is out of warranty anyway as it was bought new (& modded by you) in Jan 2011.  Anyway, even if Oppo are fine people, I'd rather have you go through it than them.

I will send it off ASAP.

modwright

« Reply #208 on: 27 Jan 2013, 05:42 pm »
No problem.

Thanks,

Dan

tarquineous

« Reply #209 on: 28 Apr 2013, 07:05 am »
In regards to the power cords, I just completed a round of comparisons with the 95 tube mod, and the 83SE with SS mods.
I added an IEC to the 83SE so the analog stage would get power from a separate cord, and PLC if necessary. But I did do some comparisons before the installation of the second inlet. The JPS Labs Kaptivator and their Digital AC cord were best out of about five cords. A silver cord and a stiff solid core copper cord were the worst. I won't mention the brands of those two. The Kaptivator also remained the best on the analog side after the second IEC install.
For the 95 with tube mods ( the mods are almost the same as the later 105 tube mods), I tried six cords on the outboard power supply, and three on the player.
On the player, I ended up with the same cord/PLC setup that is best on the 83SE : A BMI Hammerhead from player to regenerator, then a Purist Dominus Fluid to wall outlet.
For the outboard power supply w/tube regulators, the following cords are in order from best to least benefit :
1. Clarity Cable Clear Focus.
2. Sablon Audio Gran Corona (very close second). May be better with some set-ups.
3,4. Isoclean Super Focus, and Mojo Audio 8 Guage (tied but different sounding).
5. Harmonix X-DC. Good overall sound but not excellent.
6. Audio Magic Liquid Illusion. This particular cord I do not recommend for the outboard power supply. Not terrible, but it lacked harmonic richness, weight of impact, and sounded rather plain.

I have more cords here, but became very satisfied after hearing the top two above.
Hope this helps !

modwright

« Reply #210 on: 22 Nov 2013, 12:02 am »
We do offer the region-free upgrade as part of our other mods, but not by itself.  There are many that offer this service however.

Dan W.

ricardo007

« Reply #211 on: 25 Nov 2013, 10:59 am »
hi
i stiil need to figure out how to use modwright tube mods on the stereo analog board when using the dvd or bluray?
help please
ps can i just plug the front cables on the stereo out?

modwright

« Reply #212 on: 25 Nov 2013, 05:30 pm »
I am not sure if that is how it works or not.  As I understand it, when configured this way, the FL/FR signals are fed to the stereo outs.  I would recommend calling Oppo to verify if this is the case.

Thanks,

Dan

ricardo007

« Reply #213 on: 30 Dec 2013, 02:07 pm »
I read that the 6SN7 tubes are used in a differentially balanced way. What does this means?

modwright

« Reply #214 on: 30 Dec 2013, 09:58 pm »
The 6SN7 is a dual-triode tube.  Both triodes are used in each channel for a fully balanced output.  This means that the XLR outputs see a (+) and (-) signal, as well as ground.  The RCA jacks output only the (+) and ground signal.

Thanks,

Dan

Maritan

« Reply #215 on: 31 Dec 2013, 12:11 am »
That's interesting. I wonder how the circuit is designed?

1. Is this the same for the Oppo 105 as well?

2. If I use only RCA out, does only one of the triodes in the 6SN7 tubes get used?

3. If yes, can I swap the two 6SN7 tubes from left channel to right channel to use the previously unused triode?

modwright

« Reply #216 on: 31 Dec 2013, 01:32 am »
It is very similar to how the 105 is configured.

Actually both triodes see voltage and signal, for both tubes, all the time.  It is is simply a matter of whether you USE the signal from both triodes.

Thanks,

Dan

ricardo007

« Reply #217 on: 13 Jan 2014, 11:15 am »
hello Dan
if you use RCA only then even if you actually use only one tube (meaning one tube necessary only) still both tubes are used therefore age at the same rate
is that correct?
best regards
richard

modwright

« Reply #218 on: 13 Jan 2014, 05:49 pm »
If you use RCA only, you are still using two tubes.  Both tubes and both triodes in both tubes are always being utilized.  If you listen to RCA only, then you are simply only listening to the signal from one triode per tube.

Short answer:  Both tubes age fully at the same rate.

Thanks,

Dan