Tidal 360 -Immersive Headphone Listening

witchdoctor

Tidal 360 -Immersive Headphone Listening
« on: 20 Dec 2019, 04:12 pm »
Tidal has a new immersive headphone format called Tidal 360 using technology invented by Sony. The first time I listened using bluetooth headphones I noticed a subtle difference. Last night I used a balanced connection and WOW! Typically with headphones I am always aware that music is coming though my ears, no matter the resolution or quality of the headphone. Listening to tracks in 360 format it seemed the music was around my head, not in my head. This has utterly spoiled traditional two channel stereo headphone listening for me because even the best soundstage seems flat in comparison. I hope Tidal releases a LOT more albums in 360:

https://tidal.com/partners/360ra

https://www.sony.com/electronics/360-reality-audio

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Tidal 360 -Immersive Headphone Listening
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2019, 04:23 pm »
e
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2020, 10:47 pm by adydula »

krustykat

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2019, 05:07 pm »
It looks like it is available via iPhone and Android streaming services and not PC yet?  I'm listening to the 360ra version of Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" on my iPhone w/ Sennheiser Bluetooth headphones and it definitely adds a lot of 3 dimensionality to it :eyebrows:.  I'd still rather listen on my Home system, but this will be nice when traveling. 

360RA Reminds me of the 90's Qsound.   Check out Madonna's "The Immaculate Collection" or Roger Water's "Amused to Death" for good examples of Qsound.

I'm not sure how to get balanced headphones on my iPhone?  Any suggestions?

ricmon

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2019, 05:22 pm »
WOW just fired-ed it up on my Android phone.....nice.  Gonna have to compare to non 360 RA.

:thumb:
Ric

ricmon

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2019, 05:26 pm »
I thinks this works best with cans.  Using my in ear phones the non 360 version sounds better.  However I have a pair of Audio Quest cans on the way.....I should have a much better experience with them.

Ric

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2019, 06:04 pm »
It looks like it is available via iPhone and Android streaming services and not PC yet?  I'm listening to the 360ra version of Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" on my iPhone w/ Sennheiser Bluetooth headphones and it definitely adds a lot of 3 dimensionality to it :eyebrows:.  I'd still rather listen on my Home system, but this will be nice when traveling. 

360RA Reminds me of the 90's Qsound.   Check out Madonna's "The Immaculate Collection" or Roger Water's "Amused to Death" for good examples of Qsound.

I'm not sure how to get balanced headphones on my iPhone?  Any suggestions?

You would need to use a headphone amp with a balanced connection, a headphone balanced cable with a 2.5mm connection, and a pair of headphones that will accept a balanced connection.

https://www.amazon.com/iFi-Headphone-Amplifier-Bluetooth-Connectors/dp/B07FTFZ8WF?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07FTFZ8WF

I am using the Onkyo XP1 DAP and a pair of Pioneer CH5TBL ear buds.

You are correct, not available via PC yet.

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2019, 07:26 pm »
You would need to use a headphone amp with a balanced connection, a headphone balanced cable with a 2.5mm connection, and a pair of headphones that will accept a balanced connection.

Not sure why, but that ain't happening, so guess I'll be missing out.

witchdoctor

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2019, 07:35 pm »
Not sure why, but that ain't happening, so guess I'll be missing out.

It will still work w with your iphone in unbalanced, just try it out.  8)

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2019, 11:13 pm »
Hmm, I am a Tidal subscriber and missed this. I'll look into it.

I have experimented with various crossfeed implementations over the years with varying results depending on the source material and crossfeed used. Sometimes better, sometimes worse, sometimes just different. With binaural recordings like the Chesky test tracks, what I experience is a very wide 'headstage' but little front-to-back differentiation. Wonder if that is just how I hear? Anyone else have any experience with binaural recordings or crossfeed?