step up from budget headphone for listening through computer

vanderstephen

Hi. I would like some advice for purchasing headphones to use while at work. I currently have a pair of Bang and Olufsen "Form 2" which were about $100 many many many years ago. Since this is at work, I will be plugged directly into my work laptop. I could see maybe getting a USB DAC if the consensus is that those make a big enough difference in this listening set up. This will only be used with Pandora. With the limitation of being plugged directly into a laptop (no special headphone amp, Pandora as a source), what sort of budget should I consider before I start to get limited returns on dollars spent. I think the most I would consider spending $200, but I have no idea if that's overkill for my situation or not.
Thanks!

brooklyn

Re: step up from budget headphone for listening through computer
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2019, 04:55 pm »
Hi Vanderstephen,

I might suggest the HiFiman HE 400i’s which are on sale right now on there website for $159.00 They were $500.00 when they first hit the market a few years back. They’re an efficient planer magnetic headphone which should work with your laptop. I’ve owned a set of these for years and loved them.

http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he-400i.html

Jerry

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2019, 05:32 pm »
e
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2020, 10:46 pm by adydula »

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2019, 08:45 pm »
For office listening I'll save you a lot of money, buy a pair of Koss KPH30iK for $30.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075FBRYM1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If these don't suffice, you still have $170 to get something else. I say something else, as something better is not assured.

vanderstephen

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2019, 02:18 am »
Thank you for the replies! I tried going to Best Buy last night to try some different headphones out, but the trip was a bust since their demo set up is all distorted.
Is the Massdrop site legit? Are the units that they sell pretty much just discontinued items or are they lower tolerance/ spec versions of what's sold through other retailers? The Hifiman HE4XX is now marked at $130 and I got a $20 coupon for signing up... tempted to pull the trigger on that.
Thanks!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2019, 02:48 am »
e

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2019, 03:12 am »
The Hifiman HE4XX is now marked at $130 and I got a $20 coupon for signing up... tempted to pull the trigger on that.
Thanks!

Go to the Hifiman website. They're having a 50% off sale - plus you'll find some other great deals there.

Jon L

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2019, 03:21 am »
Go to the Hifiman website. They're having a 50% off sale - plus you'll find some other great deals there.

LOL.  I was excited for a minute hoping to find Susvara or Sundara at 50% off, but it's "Up to 50%" sale and choices are very limited  :lol:

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2019, 03:27 am »
LOL.  I was excited for a minute hoping to find Susvara or Sundara at 50% off, but it's "Up to 50%" sale and choices are very limited  :lol:

The HE5se open box at $300 looks like a real deal though.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2019, 02:18 pm »
e

vanderstephen

« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2019, 02:34 pm »
I just ordered the Massdrop/ Hifiman HE4xx. Free shipping. $117 with tax, and used the $20 new subscriber incentive. They're in stock.
Fingers crossed about the sound bleeding and being a good cubicle neighbor issue. Fingers crossed about my wife not being mad at me for spending the money - somehow, in my mind, I think the things I spend money on make sense, but she doesn't fully agree. Go figure. :lol:
Alex, I'm 110% with you on your comment about wondering if I could have picked one better. I'm hoping I can go through a real analysis paralysis with a turntable in late 2020.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2019, 07:12 pm »
e

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2019, 01:53 am »
I just ordered the Massdrop/ Hifiman HE4xx. Free shipping. $117 with tax, and used the $20 new subscriber incentive. They're in stock.
Fingers crossed about the sound bleeding and being a good cubicle neighbor issue. Fingers crossed about my wife not being mad at me for spending the money - somehow, in my mind, I think the things I spend money on make sense, but she doesn't fully agree. Go figure. :lol:
Alex, I'm 110% with you on your comment about wondering if I could have picked one better. I'm hoping I can go through a real analysis paralysis with a turntable in late 2020.

I just got my openbox 400i's from hifiman. You can keep them at a reasonable volume without the sound being too loud on the outside. I love them! I'm not a hp guy but I just keep wanting to listen to them. I'm a believer now!