Upgrading/replacing my HD650, need your advice

DonRoger

Upgrading/replacing my HD650, need your advice
« on: 20 Nov 2019, 11:18 am »
Hello,

I'm in for a new pair of headphones to replace my HD650, my budget is 1000 to 1200 max ( maybe 1500 if it's really worth it). I use my headphones with a Schiit Valhalla 2 -> Dragonfly Red -> Spotify Premium/PC.

The headphones i'm looking at so far:
HD820 (€1590, a lot over my budget, but it could be my endgame if it's really that good)
Audeze LCD-X (€1499, expensive, not sure if this is the best option)
Focus Clear (€1499 also over my budget, but I hear really good things about it. Could be my endgame too)
Audeze LCD-2 (€1299, this is more to my budget)
HiFiMan Ananda (€999)
Focal Elegia (€899)
Focal Elear (€699 at the moment, normally €999 and; Elex is not available in The Netherlands, sadly)

Mostly I listen to:
Queen, Genesis, Scorpions, AC/DC, Duran Duran, Simple Minds, Guns n' Roses, Toto, Gorillaz, UB40, Sia, Michael Jackson, Chicago

But I also like to listen to Vivaldi, Prokovief, Edvard Grieg now and then ( but not a lot ).

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Upgrading/replacing my HD650, need your advice
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2019, 09:42 pm »
e
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2020, 10:49 pm by adydula »

Dmason

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2019, 10:25 pm »
I listen to some of the above noted material, Prokofiev, English prog, high dog soundtrack,  ... I must add the Audeze LCD2C to this. High value target.  I am using Audeze Deckard, bullseye match, purchases two years apart, and also an Eastern Electric MiniMax 6BM8 PP amp with 9R resistors over the speaker taps, and either sound almost unbelievably good. tubes, perhaps abit too much of a good thing. Source, Chord Mojo.

gefski

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2019, 02:50 am »
Hmm, you say "replace" the HD650. Does that mean get rid of it? Though I don't think the Senn HD6 series are the best cans in the world, I think at least one belongs in any headphone collection, so I always have one regardless of what else I acquire. (Have bought 650 twice  :duh:)

You have a mix there of open and closed back considerations. I would narrow that down before comparing brands. For me, open back usually are a more open window in terms of spatial presentation. The only closed back I have listened to that knocked me out was the Focal Stellia at a recent meet. Great isolation and staggering clarity/true timbre. New it's $3k though.

Beyond that, when I listen to good cans with few sonic problems in frequency response, I listen to the personality of the presentation. Regarding some you mention, I find the HD6 series, Elear, and Clear to be upfront and a bit forward (row "A"). I find the LCD series, Ananda, and HD 800S (don't know about HD 820) to be more graceful (row "M"), yet able to provide as good or better micro details.

Have fun and listen to everything you can beg, borrow, or go to a meet!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2019, 12:56 pm »
e

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2019, 02:54 pm »
The Cable Company sells headphones and has a 'loaner' program to try candidates. (I believe they put a hold on your CC while you have the 'phones.) Could be a good way to winnow out the contenders since there are no B&M audio stores anymore.

FWIW I sold my HD650's a couple years ago for 'Beyer Amiron Home', not a lot more $ but a big improvement in SQ IMO.

DonRoger

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2019, 12:44 pm »
Hello Don!

Welcome to the AudioCircle and the Headphone mania thread...

I do have a Schitt Vahalla 2 and use it with my HD600's...its a very good match and hard to really improve on this combination in my opinion....others will disagree but I have this amp and have hundreds and hundreds of hours listening to a 'wide variety of headphones with it.

Your inquiry indicates this will be your amp...so this means that the headphones you us with are somewhat limited....even though Schitt (which I like their stuff alot)..states its been improved and you can use it with lower impedance headphones and the results will be better than the first generation of the Vahalla.

Schitt states go ahead and use it with Grados, and IEM, and the low gain impedance is 3.5 ohms, so using the 1/8 rule, 3.5 x 8 = 28 ohms...so headphones as low as 28 ohms technically should work just fine.

In my real world experience it does but its not as good to me with low impedance headphones as with a amp designed to handle low impedance cans....this is only my opinion...and you will need to try and see for yourself...you just may like the sound.

With 250 ohm cans and higher IMO think the amp really pairs well with senns and beyers...

So I guess I am saying some of the headphones on your list are lower impedance than an OTL amp would work well with....but again the V2 should.

I recently purchased the Focal Clears and they were on sale for $999. So they do come down in price....I would highly recommend them at this price.

One of the guys on the circle had Focal Elears and just upgraded to Audeze LCD3's and might stop in and recommend something.

I have Beyer T1's, T90's DT 1350's, Audio Technica ATHM50's, MSR7's, Grado 325i's, Had LCD 2 R2's, AKK 701/702 and others....

The Clears are open backed, the HD820s I believe are closed back? and you list them as possible end game cans....which IMO may very well be.

Classical music on the Focal Clears are wonderful....to me....but I might look at a different amp with them...only you can decide this.

If you can get to an audio store that has these and listen before u buy,

Good Luck and let us know what you decide...lots of good stuff out there!

Alex

Hey Alex! Thank you!

I agree the HD650 with Valhalla 2 is really good, also good to hear im not the only one, haha!

Wow thanks for your detailed input, that does help a lot. Does the Clears work fine with the Valhalla 2? I heard stories on Reddit about the Clear (and other Focal cans) sounding awful with tube amps.

The Valhalla 2 is indeed the amp I'm going to use, not sure which cans sound the "best" with this amp.
Yep, sorry I ment the HD800s instead of the HD820, my fault!

Also, I listen to quite a few different genres so its difficult to find a jack of all trades.

I'm going to a high end hifi store for the first time this weekend, Im quote exited about it.

I listen to some of the above noted material, Prokofiev, English prog, high dog soundtrack,  ... I must add the Audeze LCD2C to this. High value target.  I am using Audeze Deckard, bullseye match, purchases two years apart, and also an Eastern Electric MiniMax 6BM8 PP amp with 9R resistors over the speaker taps, and either sound almost unbelievably good. tubes, perhaps abit too much of a good thing. Source, Chord Mojo.

Nice too see someone who also listen to different genres as wel! I'll put the Audeze on my list, but im afraid that they don't sell this Audeze right here.
This is the site from the store im going to this weekend: https://www.iear.nl/koptelefoon/hifi-hoofdtelefoon/high-end-hoofdtelefoon/page/1/?orderby=iear-price

Its Dutch but you can see the headphones in the link.

Hmm, you say "replace" the HD650. Does that mean get rid of it? Though I don't think the Senn HD6 series are the best cans in the world, I think at least one belongs in any headphone collection, so I always have one regardless of what else I acquire. (Have bought 650 twice  :duh:)

You have a mix there of open and closed back considerations. I would narrow that down before comparing brands. For me, open back usually are a more open window in terms of spatial presentation. The only closed back I have listened to that knocked me out was the Focal Stellia at a recent meet. Great isolation and staggering clarity/true timbre. New it's $3k though.

Beyond that, when I listen to good cans with few sonic problems in frequency response, I listen to the personality of the presentation. Regarding some you mention, I find the HD6 series, Elear, and Clear to be upfront and a bit forward (row "A"). I find the LCD series, Ananda, and HD 800S (don't know about HD 820) to be more graceful (row "M"), yet able to provide as good or better micro details.

Have fun and listen to everything you can beg, borrow, or go to a meet!

Not really "replacing" haha, I keep the HD650, they are great for what they are.

You're right I put the HD820S on the list instead of the HD800S, and thats correct I bever really liked closed back, because it isolates me too much.

I agree the cans I mentioned all sound quite different from each other, its really hard to find the best headphones to pair with my Valhalla.

As you can see there are many opinions... :D

I used to think there was that just one headphone that was perfect for "all" and the real answer is we
all are very different and our listening preferences are widely different.

I will not say the HD 650 shouldnt be in anyones headphone collection...you will have to decide that.

I think what gefski is saying is the soundstage is important to him and many others....and to me as well....

There is alot more to think about when spending $1000- $1500 in a set of cans for sure.

Opinions are great, including mine!!!  :D :D :D

But before you buy go listen or try them and YOU decide for your ears...

Alex

Hahahaha, absolute!

The soundstage is important indeed, and for 1000 to 1500 I want something really worth the money (I guess thats what everyone wants hahaha!). Totally true, there is so much to think at, at this price point. It doesn't need to be a v2.0 of the 650, maybe there is something better with a totally different sound.

Im REALLY happy with your opinions, even if our music tastes are different, I learn a lot of new good things from you guys.

The Cable Company sells headphones and has a 'loaner' program to try candidates. (I believe they put a hold on your CC while you have the 'phones.) Could be a good way to winnow out the contenders since there are no B&M audio stores anymore.

FWIW I sold my HD650's a couple years ago for 'Beyer Amiron Home', not a lot more $ but a big improvement in SQ IMO.

Nice! I wish this was possible out here, at least i THINK its not possible to rent headphones out here.

Those beyers are nice too!
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2019, 05:02 pm by DonRoger »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2019, 01:29 pm »
e

DonRoger

« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2019, 11:02 am »
Good Morning Don...

To be really honest I would not recommend the V2 for the Clears....there are better choices for a 55 ohm headphone in my opinion....

The Clears would be really different compared to the HD650's....the tonality is one of the best IMO and many others....really nice, accurate and musical...

The HD800s will have a similar sound to the 6xx series, but much wider soundstage for sure, some love it, some do not...I like both.

The LCD's are nice had a set of the 2's when they first came out, but just too heavy and abit cold to me....but again its a personnel taste.

Listening at a store is good...then you can get a much better idea..for what you like....

Advice: Take your time, dont jump at the first thing that you think is great....

One idea is if you get a lower impedance set of cans than the V2 can handle to your liking, is to get a smaller low cost, BUT VERY GOOD solid state amp...

There are several out there that will work well with the Clears and other low impedance headphones....like the Schitt $99 Magni3 or their really new Asgard3 for $199.

Then JDS Labs has their ATOM...

All the best
Alex

Heya Alex

So I tested a few cans yesterday.

The Focal Elegia: not sure how to explain this, it sounded too warm, too colored i guess. Not really clear sounding, probably because its a closed back(?).

Focal Utopia: Sounds really really good, but €4000+ lol no way I'm going to buy these, I would be broke if I buy these haha.

Audeze lcd-2: sounded more like a HD650 v2.0, which is good, they sounded also good, maybe the most logic upgrade for the hd650. But I'm not 100% if they are worth the 1300 euro's.

The hd800s, the Elear and Clear were not in store at the moment, sadly.

« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2019, 11:56 am by DonRoger »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 25 Nov 2019, 02:10 pm »
e

DonRoger

« Reply #10 on: 25 Nov 2019, 04:37 pm »
Hi Don..... Good Morning!

The Utopias at 4,000 IMO are abit much for headphones, the Clears get you 90% of the way there and can be had for $999 on sale.

Much more sensible and great headphones, many say they are the upgrade to the HD 650's for best all around headphones....

I paid $1000 or so for my LCD2's and found other lower cost cans that made me smile as much for less...I sold them after several months.

Wish you could have tried the Clears and the HD800s. These were my two contenders and I have the HD600's again and wanted either this kind of Senn house sound but with
a wider soundstage, but the dealer didnt have the HD800's either but had the Clears, he had the lower cost and the Utopias but the Clears for my just seemed to have a perfect tonality.

Some describe the soundstage of the 800s' are being several rows back at a concert, while the Clears are more like front row or in the band, BUT this really depends on the recording ALOT.

I wonder what the source gear they used to demo them? Seperate amp/dac or receiver etc...?
This can make a small difference.

Good Luck
Alex

Hey Alex!

I agree, 4000 is way too expensive. And also way above my budget. Clears for 999$/€? they aren't even on sale on Black Friday out here  :( Only the Elears are on sale from €999 to €699 so now and then.

I wish they had the Clear in store, also the HD800s. I'm thinking about making another apointment, to test the Clears ( if they don't mess up the apointment this time). Or search for a dealer in town (but I'm afraid there are none with Focal's), this or next week.

Yep, I'm not sure what to think about the LCD2 (Fazor). They where nice, I like'd them, but I'm still not sure if they are worth the 1200 euro's. I don't want to get disappointed after a while. And the Elegia is not my cup of tea, I hope the Clears sound better.

The gear they used was:  BURSON CONDUCTOR V2+ -> iMac -> Tidal.

I never heard of that amp/dac, https://www.iear.nl/product/burson-conductor-v2-zilver-2/ . That's the one they used.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 25 Nov 2019, 08:08 pm »
Beyer Amiron and T1s have that sort of HD600 sound but WAY more refined, detailed, stronger bass, just everything in a much higher class, while retaining that core musical sound that the 600s are famous for. 

I hate the 800's, too bright, but I heard the 700's and though they were amazing. 

Focals I heard have been underwhelming, just too aggressive for my taste.  The only uber-expensive headphone I've heard that even semi-justifies it's price is the Meze Empyrean. 

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 25 Nov 2019, 08:11 pm »
e

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 26 Nov 2019, 01:48 am »
e
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2020, 10:50 pm by adydula »

witchdoctor

« Reply #15 on: 26 Nov 2019, 03:13 pm »
I have not listened to the headphones. One of the interesting features is they offer a USB connection and an internal amp/DAC in addition to the standard connections.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 26 Nov 2019, 06:39 pm »
e

witchdoctor

« Reply #17 on: 26 Nov 2019, 06:45 pm »
Quincy Jones + Sean Olive (Harman's headphone guru)+ a 30 day return policy= yes, I would like to try. The issue is Harman has another Black Friday sale, the JBL Live 650 at 50% off ($100 vs $200 MSRP). I'll probably jump on the JBL's :)

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 26 Nov 2019, 09:03 pm »
e

DonRoger

« Reply #19 on: 27 Nov 2019, 12:06 pm »
Beyer Amiron and T1s have that sort of HD600 sound but WAY more refined, detailed, stronger bass, just everything in a much higher class, while retaining that core musical sound that the 600s are famous for. 

I hate the 800's, too bright, but I heard the 700's and though they were amazing. 

Focals I heard have been underwhelming, just too aggressive for my taste.  The only uber-expensive headphone I've heard that even semi-justifies it's price is the Meze Empyrean.

Thank  you for your input, Those Beyer T1 are nice but there are almost no shops in the Netherlands who sell these. I dunno why sadly.

I lucked out for sure...I see the Clears (Pro) version for $1349 at Moon Audio and at Adorama here in the states.

Maybe during the crazy season of Black Friday they might go back on sale...if I see this I will let you know!

But again...you still should listen to them at first.

The Burson Conductor V2+ is a really decent piece of gear....

I never really liked close back cans..so I never even thought of trying them out...one shot at the clears and the bass impact with well recorded drums like on
Patricia Barbers Verses CD ...blew me away and I have to have them....then the $999 price...well the HD 800s just didnt have a chance!!

Maybe someday..

Alex

Yep, you're lucky haha. Do you think they are worth 1500 euro's/ dollars?

I'll check them out tomorrow, I found a dealer who has the Clears in store. Can't wait to test them out!

I'm also not a fan of closed back headphones, well, not really. The only closed back I use and like is the Sony WH-1000XM3, not necessary because of the SQ - which is not high end - but more because I really like them in public transport.

Harman has the NQ90 Quincy Jones headphones by AKG on sale for $599 ($900 savings)

https://www.harmanaudio.com/over-ear-headphones/N90+Q.html?dwvar_N90%20Q_color=Gold-GLOBAL-Current&cgid=over-ear-headphones#prefn1=isLuxuryProduct&prefn2=isRefurbished&prefv3=false&srule=price-high-to-low&sz=12&start=1&prefv1=no&prefv2=false&prefn3=isSupport

They look intresting at least!  :icon_lol: