GIK Soffit trap is here!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
GIK Soffit trap is here!
« on: 19 Jul 2011, 08:07 pm »
GIK Soffit trap is here!

Bryan was very instrumental in having my room designed to include this feature and I'm psyched to test it out when it is all done! Well done Glenn and Bryan!

And check out the measurements right here!

Great work!

Anand.

sebrof

Re: GIK Soffit trap is here!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2011, 08:18 pm »
GIK Soffit trap is here!

Bryan was very instrumental in having my room designed to include this feature and I'm psyched to test it out when it is all done! Well done Glenn and Bryan!

Great work!

Anand.

So where does it go? Wall / ceiling interface?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2011, 08:24 pm »
You beat me to it!   :thumb:

The soffit was primarily developed to go up into the wall/ceiling junction.  That said, it's just as at home in wall/wall corners or even just sitting on the floor like our Pillar Trap but without the additional expense of the wood ends and corner trim.

We were very pleased with the lab results which show just how well it works down into serious subwoofer territory.

Bryan

cherryfields

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2011, 12:12 pm »
Hi folk
Mikael here from Sweden. I just got my first GIK shipment today, 13 boxes 188 Kg in total so now I have 7 pieces of this beauty in Camira Black.
I'm a bit curious regarding the wall / ceiling mount. What would be the best way to mount these in the wall ceiling corner?
I've noticed the pre-made holes but I haven't actually managed to figure out how to take advantage of those.
Guess I'm still exhausted after carrying all those boxes up to the 4th floor.

cheers / Mikael

InfernoSTi

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2011, 10:25 pm »
Hi folk
Mikael here from Sweden. I just got my first GIK shipment today, 13 boxes 188 Kg in total so now I have 7 pieces of this beauty in Camira Black.
I'm a bit curious regarding the wall / ceiling mount. What would be the best way to mount these in the wall ceiling corner?
I've noticed the pre-made holes but I haven't actually managed to figure out how to take advantage of those.
Guess I'm still exhausted after carrying all those boxes up to the 4th floor.

cheers / Mikael

That is a lot of GIK goodness!  If you haven't spoken to Glen or Bryan about how to use the holes properly yet, send a PM to them because they can help. 

Any listening impressions (I'm not sure if you stuck stuff into your listening room temporary just to see how it sounds)? 

John

rw@cn

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2011, 11:47 am »
Since I am ordering Soffit traps and plan to stack them in the front corners, I am also interested in knowing about the holes.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2011, 12:51 pm »
In one side of the soffits, there are 2 keyhole plates mounted.  Those are designed to hang from 2 screws into the ceiling or wall per your preference. You simply leave the head of whatever screw you're using extended far enough to get past the inner surface of the keyhole plate, push the trap up to the surface so the screw head enters the wider portion of the slot, then slide the trap toward the other boundary so the head is now behind the narrower portion of the plate.  A quick link in case you're not familiar with the keyhole slots.

Bryan

InfernoSTi

« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2011, 01:23 pm »
That is great, Bryan!  It sure fills you with confidence when you see the actual keyhole slot and not just the poked hole in the back of the Soffit Trap. 

Because I am moving in the next few months, I didn't attach them to the wall. I simply stacked one on top of the other.  I have to say they appear very stable this way (but I don't have kids/dogs/etc).  I did the same thing with my two Tri Traps.  Perhaps I should put the Soffit Trap under each of the Tri Traps for more stability but they truly seemed fine to me.

John

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2011, 01:32 pm »
They should be fine that way but if your corners are left to right, I would do the soffit on the bottom and Tri on the top just for better symmetry.

Bryan

InfernoSTi

« Reply #9 on: 3 Oct 2011, 01:41 pm »
They should be fine that way but if your corners are left to right, I would do the soffit on the bottom and Tri on the top just for better symmetry.

Bryan

Great! They are opposite corners (left/front and right/rear).  I have the double Soffit traps in the right/rear corner thinking that would help reduce mode ringing better by catching the wave the first time by better. 

John

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2011, 02:11 pm »
Depends on how close your speakers are to the front wall corner.  Might be better to balance boundary gain lower to have the soffits in the front corner as bass radiates spherically in 3 dimensions and the front corner behind the speakers will likely get the wave first, not that it really matters, though it would reach lower and prevent lower frequencies from being reinforced - not to mention having about 50% more surface area in addition to the additional thickness.

Certainly easy enough to try.  One of the few free things in this hobby!

Bryan

rw@cn

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2011, 10:33 pm »
Well four Soffits were delivered today. I have stacked them in each front corner. Just a preliminary listen indicates that there is quite a bit of improvement in the mid-low to low end. A lot of the "thiness" in the bass region has been filled in quite nicely. I can now hear a few things again that I was missing when the 1.7s were installed.

I'll have to do quite a lot of listening and adjustments to make (I had to reposition my speakers some when I installed GIK's QRDs). I'll report back in a few days.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2011, 02:16 pm »
Sounds good. Forum time is going to be spotty for me during the day while at RMAF but I'll try to check in as I can.

Bryan

rw@cn

« Reply #13 on: 19 Oct 2011, 11:21 am »
These things work very well. I'll post pictures after I install them properly.

What I hear is tighter and more articulate sound in the mid to lower regions. I am also noticing more bass, but I need to make sure that this isn't too much of a good thing. To do this, I'll be shifting my listening to R&B, hip hop and some music where the bass is artificially prominent.

So far, more than worth the money.

lokie

« Reply #14 on: 19 Oct 2011, 12:04 pm »
I would love to see some pictures, especially, one installed as a soffit.

mcallister

« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2011, 10:22 am »
I would love to see some pictures, especially, one installed as a soffit.

Agreed!! Whose got some pics?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2011, 02:07 pm »
I don't have any pics of any installed - though hopefully, that will happen soon.  We're building a new room in our facility and on of it's purposes is to be able to take some pics of different items in different cofigurations.

Don't let me stop anyone else who has them installed as soffits from posting pics....

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Bryan

rw@cn

« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2011, 02:31 pm »
These are a few months old. The bass in now much more refined and defined.