A Tale of Two Cables Part II

guest1632

A Tale of Two Cables Part II
« on: 27 Jun 2007, 12:05 am »
Hi Again, Ray here,

Well, I told you I'd be back in a few days with an idea.

I took my cables that came with my DVD player and did a short comparison with my Ultimate cables.

To tell you the truth I was surprised. These noname cheap pieces of crap did fairly well for themselves, considering the fact that they were free. heheh.

These were about 6 feet long with RCA connectors at each end.

First of all, they were well kinda? open? The bass was there. They were compressed in the mids. If you don't have any good cables onhand, these will do in a short pinch. Go get yourself a decent pair of cables, uh, Interconnects. Your ears will thank you.

When people tell me they can't hear the difference between cables, in some ways I certainly can believe them. But listening to these cables, and then switching back to the Ultimates, was like, ... driving a Toyota Echo, versus a Camari.The Echo will get you there, but ... at what price.

If you can't afford to spend say $50 or more, then if you are handy with a soldering iron, go get some Cat5 cable, put each strand in a Teflon tube, and after soldering them with Radio Shack silver solder to each RCA connector, do a loose twist. you'll find that these aren't to bad. Maybe, use the Radio Shack Gold connectors. Of course, you want some heatshrink tubing over the cable ends to provide some support and strain relief. This should probably run you about oooh, 20 to 25 bucks. It won't be Hifi heaven, but you will be definitely on your way there. ,

Happy Listening
Ray Bronk