Black Sand Cable Violet Z1 Power Cord

sherod

Re: Black Sand Cable Violet Z1 Power Cord
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jul 2006, 12:03 am »

Yes, sometimes evolution can be a good thing; but after only a month? Give me a break! The Violet is so new that it's not even part of the Black Sand inventory yet. Because of another Audiocircle member's rave reviews( I believe he got a T-shirt for this) Black Sand decided to sell the Violet at a fixed price only on Audiogon. Are you guys secret Beta testers or something ? If the Violet is going to go through a series of continual improvements, then they can count me out as a potential buyer. I was seriously considering trying a Violet out( based on member JonL's recommendation), but not now. If it is a cord that is going to continue to be in an "evolutionary" stage, then I'll wait until it finishes its evolving and buy me one of their later models on the used market. Nuff said.

earlmarc

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jul 2006, 01:09 am »
Guys, you're taking this way to seriously! I have no idea what John will name his new cord or even if he'll introduce a new cord. I took it upon myself to name a potential new cord. It took him almost a year of R&D to introduce the Silver Ref. The Violet cord was made to fit a customer request and was never fully intended to become part of his lineup of cords.

BlackSandCable

« Reply #22 on: 24 Jul 2006, 03:56 am »
For the most part I try and stay out of these threads but I wanted to set the record straight and let everyone know that there is no changes coming to the Violet Z1 for the balance of 2006. It is what it is and is staying that way. To take it one step further, I'm not sure I will do any changes on it as from what I can tell from those that own it, the cord is fine as is. If it's not broke..............you know the rest!  :D

Also, I actually have a pretty good record as far as version updates go. I don't do a lot of them as I spend way to much time on them in the first place and to swap them out every 3 or 4 months would be pointless unless I found something that took the cord to whole new level or if I discover that there is a flaw in the design itself..

Eric

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jul 2006, 02:14 am »
For the record, John has sent me t-shirts with  every purchase I have made. My wife loves them. There were no strings attached (other than the ones used to make the shirts}

yo2tup

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jul 2006, 03:40 am »
 I wish I got a shirt with both my orders :P :(

and my violets are sounding excellent on amp and on my dac  :D :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #25 on: 25 Jul 2006, 09:49 am »
For the record, John has sent me t-shirts with  every purchase I have made. My wife loves them. There were no strings attached (other than the ones used to make the shirts}
Wow...I didn't get a t-shirt... :cry:
But I still have this one..... :rock:

BlackSandCable

« Reply #26 on: 25 Jul 2006, 02:17 pm »
Who would have thunk that shirts would become a hot topic!  :D

Let me provide you guys with a little history on the whole shirt thing. I started to randomly put BSC shirts in to various orders about a year ago as my way of saying thanks. There was no rhyme or reason to how I went about doing it, I just kind of winged it. I haven't been doing it lately for two reasons. First is because the web-site is getting overhauled (by an Audio Circle member) and I want the shirts to match the look of the new web-site. Second is because I'm out of shirts at the moment! :cry:

When the web-site is up and running I will fire up the shirts again. If I missed someone and you are gunge ho for one, let me know and I will hook you up. They are one size fits all so please keep that in mind.

Thanks again for the support guys! I sincerely appreciate it.  :D

earlmarc

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jul 2006, 03:42 am »
We have covered the Black Sand Silver Ref. and Violet. We have received numerous positive feedback about the Silver Ref. and Violet. I have not heard hardly anything about the White Light v1. I find this puzzingly because the White Light is the least expensive of the above cords and IMHO the standout cord. Don't get me wrong, the Silv Ref. and Violet are outstanding cords, but neither one of these cords possess the natural openess and musicality of the White Light v1. The White Light v1 doesn't quite have the dynamics and quicker pace of the Violet, nor the control and balance of the Silver Ref. on amplifiers. However, on CD players and preamplifiers its better than the Silver Ref. and Violet IMHO. I know I said previously that I preferred the Violet on my CD player. I changed my mind. I think the Violet is better on my HT amplifier.

HumanMedia

« Reply #28 on: 30 Jul 2006, 03:08 am »
We have covered the Black Sand Silver Ref. and Violet. We have received numerous positive feedback about the Silver Ref. and Violet. I have not heard hardly anything about the White Light v1. I find this puzzingly because the White Light is the least expensive of the above cords and IMHO the standout cord. Don't get me wrong, the Silv Ref. and Violet are outstanding cords, but neither one of these cords possess the natural openess and musicality of the White Light v1. The White Light v1 doesn't quite have the dynamics and quicker pace of the Violet, nor the control and balance of the Silver Ref. on amplifiers. However, on CD players and preamplifiers its better than the Silver Ref. and Violet IMHO. I know I said previously that I preferred the Violet on my CD player. I changed my mind. I think the Violet is better on my HT amplifier.

I would love to hear more about the White.
Im am particularly interested in its tonal balance, as I find the one weakness of the Silver Ref is that it dips slightly in the midrange.  From the sound of it the Violet has a litle more of a dip in the same place (or more pronounced highs?).  How about the White?

earlmarc

« Reply #29 on: 30 Jul 2006, 03:17 am »

Im am particularly interested in its tonal balance, as I find the one weakness of the Silver Ref is that it dips slightly in the midrange.  From the sound of it the Violet has a litle more of a dip in the same place (or more pronounced highs?).  How about the White?

Well the White Light v1 definately doesn't have a dip in the midrange. Its more open and fuller sounding in the midrange without giving up much detail. Its lower to mid bass isn't as tight as the Violet or Silver Ref. though.

Jon L

« Reply #30 on: 30 Jul 2006, 04:08 am »

Not at all.  To my ears, Violet has a more "exciting," more forward midrange/vocals including lower-midrange compared with Silver Ref, which is the very main reason I prefer it to the Silver Ref, which does have a smidge more ethereal, translucent high treble as well as a hair more grip in the lowermost bass..

HumanMedia

« Reply #31 on: 30 Jul 2006, 07:02 am »
Thank you both for your info.