Black Sand Silver Reference / Straley Reality Speaker Cables

Double Ugly

I've already offered an abbreviated review of the Silver Reference here, and though I've not said anything about Gregg's Reality cables, this will be short.

If you're in the market, you owe it to yourself to try them...*BOTH* of them.  I've auditioned my fair share of cables, and though some were better in some ways, I almost always stayed with what I already had.

That's changing.

If your system is genuinely revealing, these cables *WILL* be heard.  Whether or not you perceive an improvement is up to you and your ears.  I can't imagine anyone here having a system in which that wouldn't be the case, but to each his own.

The Silver Reference power cords are simply wonderful, and at least in my system, Gregg's speaker cables seem to take what the Silver References do and add to it.  There's a synergy of sorts, as much so as having an entire same-cable system in my experience.

That's it.   No flowery descriptive words and phrases to convince you you'll see long lost loved ones or hear Gabriel's trumpet if you try these cords...just doing what's right by giving respect and credit where it's due.  John and Gregg have designed cables that are excellent in my very strongly held opinion, and I think you should outfit your entire system with them.

That's my plan.

SYSTEM
    *  Speakers:  SP Technology Timepiece 2.1s
    *  Amplifiers:  Butler Audio Monad monoblocks
    *  Source:  Bolder Cable modified SB2 and “Ultimate” power supply
    *  Interconnects:  Stealth Audio Cables Indra
    *  Tweaks:  Star Sound Technologies Audio Points and Sistrum stands beneath every component, stands filled with Star Sound’s Micro-Bearing Steel Fill
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2006, 10:18 pm by Double Ugly »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2006, 10:14 pm »
Jim,

I own the Straley/Black Sand combo and couldn't agree more!!

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2006, 11:28 pm »
Nice.....Told you so Jim....hey....would I lie ??? :lol:  
    No flowery descriptive words and phrases to convince you you'll see long lost loved ones or hear Gabriel's trumpet if you try these cords...
    [/list:u]
      Hmmmm  :? ....I see
    this....when I listen....... [/list:u]
      (Did you try the Reality IC ? )[/list:u]
        Chris[/list:u]

zybar

• Volunteer
    « Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2006, 11:44 pm »
    As long as it doesn't look like this:

George

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2006, 11:46 pm »
    Quote from: zybar
    As long as it doesn't look like this:

George
    I think thats with a very bad recording....cables and power cords can't help them at all.... :cry:

mr_bill

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2006, 12:48 am »
    Are any of you listening with Gregg's interconnects too or just his peaker cables?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2006, 12:59 am »
    Quote from: mr_bill
    Are any of you listening with Gregg's interconnects too or just his speaker cables?
      I have used both...SC and IC's...they were a good match together...with a Butler amp and a Modwright preamp. And adding the Black Sand power cords was icing on the cake....still wanna know why ?... but....they work....I heard it. It sounded good to me....and thats what counts....:D [/list:u]

Lkdog

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2006, 01:13 am »
    I tried the IC's on the trial period offer.
    They were fine, but not better in my system than what I was using.
    Seemed to be fairly neutral cables.

Double Ugly

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2006, 01:24 am »
    Quote from: lonewolfny42
    Nice.....Told you so Jim....

That you did, my friend.  :thumb:

...hey....would I lie ??? :lol:

Perish the thought!  :wink:  

Hmmmm  :? ....I see this....when  I listen.......

Is it possible you were under the influence of more than cables when these sightings occurred?  :wink:  :lol:

(Did you try the Reality IC ? )

Yes sir, I did.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2006, 01:39 am »
    Is it possible you were under the influence of more than cables when these sightings occurred?  
      Hmmm.....well I do listen late into the evening.... :scratch: ...but I think it was the cable combo..... :lol: [/list:u]

bluemike

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jun 2006, 02:57 am »
    Has anybody heard the Black Sand power cords on Gary's Dodd 120's ?

Do the BS power cords work best on tubes or ss ?

All comments are welcome  :)

yo2tup

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2006, 09:12 pm »
    Just ordered a blacksand cable to go with my realitycables which i've had for a few months now  :D

what benefits more from the power cords, the amp or the source?

Double Ugly

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jun 2006, 09:49 pm »
    Quote from: bluemike
    Has anybody heard the Black Sand power cords on Gary's Dodd 120's ?

Do the BS power cords work best on tubes or ss ?

All comments are welcome  :)
    My amplifiers are hybrids, so they're a little bit of both.  Though I can't tell you how well they'll work on SS or tubes specifically, I *can* say they are excellent cords, and I would expect them to enhance the performance of virtually any amp you decide to pair them with.

Quote from: yo2tup
    Just ordered a blacksand cable to go with my realitycables which i've had for a few months now  :D
    That's a great combination.  You're gonna be one happy camper.  :thumb:

Quote from: yo2tup
    what benefits more from the power cords, the amp or the source?
    I haven't tried these on my source (only have two), but in my experience, every component benefits from better power delivery.  As to which benefits more, that's probably too subjective and system dependent for anyone to offer a definitive statement. 

Me?  My plan is to equipment both amps *and* my source with Silver Refs.
    « Last Edit: 18 Jul 2006, 10:44 pm by Double Ugly »

Double Ugly

Re: Black Sand Silver Reference / Straley Reality Speaker Cables
    « Reply #13 on: 19 Jul 2006, 01:39 am »
    Well, I finally did it.  I contacted John today and ordered three 6' Silver Reference power cords.  I realize I made reference to impending purchases over a month ago, but here's the deal.

The Monday following my last post in this thread, I sent my speakers back to SP Technology for "correcting" and didn't get them back until 4 days ago (Fri, 14 Jul).  At the time, I was auditioning a pair of prototype PCs (hereafter referred to as the "über" cables) from a relatively well-known company.  Since they were only about half-way through their recommended break-in period, I left them in the system when the Timepieces returned. 

This was to be the final comparison before making my decision.  Had I chosen to keep them, I could have purchased the über cables at a small fraction of their eventual retail price, and the opportunity to evaluate and compare the cable with the Silver Ref was much too good a deal to pass up.   

So the Timepieces arrive, and they're all I'd hoped they'd be.  Gone was the extreme excess energy in the highs, the honkiness and the hardness I'd heard before.  The sound was so much smoother and more organic that I had to call Bob to tell him how pleased I was with his efforts.

But a short time later, things began to change.  I knew a lot of the crossover components were new, so a few sonic speed bumps along the way was not unexpected.  But considering the issues I'd had before, this was troubling.

The highs began to slowly make their presence a bit more known.  Over the next 3-4 hours, the sound went from relaxed and enjoyable to beyond annoying.  At volumes much above a whisper, the highs seemed to penetrate our skulls and explode.  Listener fatigue seemed less of an issue than survival.  It was BAD!

Sooooo....having been through speaker break-in before – but never anything like this – I began to investigate. 

I was using borrowed speakers cables (Straley’s), so I replaced them with a tried-and-true copper speaker cable I know to be neutral to very slightly warm. 

No change. 

So I scramble around and find my old twice- (or is it thrice-?) modified battery-powered ack dAck!, thinking that maybe replacing the SB2's DAC might improve things a bit.

No such luck.

By this time I'm calling my friends, asking if they've had similar experiences with speakers, and seeking suggestions for my next move.  I got everything from "get a tube preamp" to "give it a month or two and see if it improves."  :o

A month or two of skull-splitting highs was *NOT* an option.

Though it really hasn’t been that long from a minutes and hours standpoint, my banshee of a system combined with extreme frustration has just about driven me insane.  Just as my severely diminished logic and reasoning is leading me to believe that I need to either (1) replace my entire system, (2) send the speakers back, or (3) grab an axe from the shed and have a field day, I decide to replace the über cables with the Silver Refs…you know…the ones that haven't been used the past-month-and-a-half.  I didn't expect much in the way of improvements because the über cables were pure copper (usually warm, if anything), and the company's previous PC offerings were all stellar performers.  I fact, ALL their previous cables were excellent, without exception.  Never, *EVER* were any of them the slightest bit bright, much less capable of the insanity-inducing laser beams currently wreaking havoc with my skull and its contents.

You know where this is going.

Within seconds of firing up the system, I called for my wife to come back into the house (she was out watering plants or some such nonsense).  I paused the track (Tommy Emmanuel's Can't Get Enough from Midnight Drive) and waited until she was properly situated in the middle of the sweet spot.  After listening for…ohhh...I'd say 10 seconds....she turns to me, eyes wide, obviously incredulous.  "It sounds GREAT!  WHAT did you DO?!?"

Black Sands power cords, I tell her…the Silver Refs. 

She stares at the system, eyes still wide, her jaw swaying with the music somewhere between her ankles and her knees.

I say I'm going to buy them. 

She says do it.

So I did.

That's why it took so long for me to pull the trigger, and it's also how I arrived to the point of essentially not having a choice.  All the things I said before about the Black Sands PCs still stand.  They're the best I've had in my system, and are far and away the best high-performance bang-for-the-buck PC you're likely to find anywhere.

FWIW, I told John today that his PCs are WAAAAAAAAAY under priced for the performance they offer.  Come to find out I wasn't telling him anything he didn't already know, so if you're on the fence, I suggest you act before it's too late.

Lastly, if you own a Butler Audio amplifier, please…seriously, please…take one of the Black Sand offerings for spin in your system.  I strongly suggest that you (and your amp) have a great deal to gain via the purchase of a Silver Reference power cord.  Between my experiences and those of Lonewolf, I think my assertion is a lot more fact than opinion.

Hantra

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jul 2006, 01:45 am »
    Nice writeup man. . . What were you using before?

Double Ugly

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2006, 02:02 am »
    Nice writeup man. . . What were you using before?
    Thanks.

I was using the latest version of Sonoran's Plateau line.  They're excellent cables...in fact, I think enough of them that I'll probably keep them vs. selling them for next to nothing on the used market.  But as good as they are, they're clearly bested by the Silver Refs in my system. 

I'm anxious to see how my source responds to the change (still have a Sonoran on it).

zybar

• Volunteer
    « Reply #16 on: 19 Jul 2006, 02:16 am »
    Jim,

Glad to hear that things are working out for you.

I have had the Black Sand Silver Ref PC's + Straley Cables in my system for a while now and it is a heck of a combination.

I am using three Black Sand Silver Ref PC's (two on my BAT VK-600SE and one on the Bolder Cable Ultimate PS for my Bolder Cable modified SB2).  When I get some time, I will probably order a few more and try them on my TacT preamp and Running Springs Audio Haley power conditioner.

Both products absolutely play above their price point, and are pretty much MUST auditions for any system.

George

Double Ugly

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2006, 02:47 am »
    Thanks, George.

The first thing I did after discovering the Silver Refs were the answer to my ills was to put Gregg's cables back in.  They'll likely be my next purchase, but I need to find a way to convince Chris to let me keep his pair here until I can afford to get my own.  :lol:

Both products absolutely play above their price point, and are pretty much MUST auditions for any system.

Absolutely.  My novel notwithstanding, nothing else needs to be said.

mgalusha

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jul 2006, 03:04 am »
    Good to hear you can keep your sanity and your hearing Jim. :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 2006, 03:45 am »
    Now you did it Jim.....got John and Greg both thinking about raising their prices....what's the matter, you don't like a bargain ? :lol:
    If you still need the Straley/Reality SC's....no problem.
    I give credit where credit is due...great products at a fair price, thanks John and Greg !!!And thanks Marcus and Carl for turning me on to them... :thumb:
    Chris