Black Sand Silver Reference Follow-Up

Double Ugly

« Reply #20 on: 6 Jun 2006, 11:39 pm »
Quote from: tdangelo
Jim,  I just added 3 more Silver Ref's to my system along with the 2 on my Butlers - I'm using them exclusively in my system along with Gregg's Reality Cables(great cables too!!).  You stated what I have found using them perfectly!

Tony D.

Hi Tony,

I don't know how they perform with any other amplifiers, but based on your comments and those of others (lonewolfny42 among them), it seems clear the Silver Ref/Butler marriage is special.  My Monads like 'em!

I have a pair of LOANwolf's Reality speaker cables here, too.  I'm not finished with the audition, but they've performed exceptionally well thus far.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 7 Jun 2006, 01:37 am »
I used the Silver Reference power cords with the McCormack DNA-500 as well as the Channel Islands D-200's.  I thought the performance was excellent in both cases.

I now have the Silver Ref's on the BAT VK-600SE and will also be using it on the Bolder PS for my SB2.

Great cords at very good prices.

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #22 on: 7 Jun 2006, 03:31 am »
Thank you Eric and DU/Jim for your replies..... :thumb:
    Jim...wasn't raining...just an afternoon coffee break.... :wink: [/list:u]
      Chris[/list:u]

Eric

« Reply #23 on: 7 Jun 2006, 02:50 pm »
I was doing dom additional listening last night. I now understand what some of the earlier posters meant when they said you hear more detail, but it is not fatiguing. I became aware last night that I was hearing more nuances in the music and picking up detail I never hear before.

HumanMedia

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2006, 10:04 am »
What is the burn-in period on these?
What sonic changes occur over burn-in?

mdconnelly

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jun 2006, 02:18 pm »
The cables are burned-in before they're ever shipped so I didn't find the need for an extended burn-in.   There may have been just a bit of glare on the top end initially but gone within a day or so.  What I noticed right from the start, however, is that these produce a very balanced, detailed and dynamic presentation emanating from a very quiet, black background.  

I have heard cables that change quite a bit after a week or two but with John's early burn-in, I can't say these require or benefit from extensive additional burn-in.  They're excellent right from the start.

Mike

Double Ugly

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jun 2006, 04:23 pm »
I'll have to disagree with Mike a bit on this one.  

The factory burn-in period is approximately 18 hours, and at least in my system, that time proved insufficient.  It was sometime between 3 and 5 days before the bass came in.  I went to bed with it sounding quite light in the lower octave - as it had for the first several days - and awoke with it sounding great.

As should be obvious by my and Mike's experiences, YMMV.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 19 Jun 2006, 04:36 pm »
My experience was more in line with Jim.  While good at the start, they were some definite improvement over the course of a few weeks.

George

Double Ugly

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jun 2006, 05:08 pm »
I went back and looked at the dates involved, and as it turns out, I was wrong.  It wasn't 3-5 days, but 12 days it took for the bass to come alive with the Silver Refs.

Depending on your system and speakers, what I heard may not be noticeable.  But I agree with George...I'd give 'em at least a couple weeks.

mdconnelly

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jun 2006, 05:10 pm »
Well, damn!  No fair that yours continued to improve and mine didn't!  :lol:

Seriously, bass was exceptional right from the start in my system as were the dynamics, although top end relaxed some after a day or two.   I spent a lot of time listening in those first couple weeks and really can't say I heard any change after the first week.  (hmmm, I probably just need to get a more resolving system I'll bet ;-)

Mike

Double Ugly

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jun 2006, 05:12 pm »
Quote from: mdconnelly
(hmmm, I probably just need to get a more resolving system I'll bet ;-)

Absolutely!  No doubt about it!  :lol:

HumanMedia

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jun 2006, 10:16 pm »
Reason I ask is that I just received a pair and in the first three hours of listening, I feel the bass is too much and creates a bass bump that wasnt there with other power cords (Flavor 4, Volex).  Descending double bass jumps up in volume over a specific range.  Also highs are too overemphasised and unnatural.

Or maybe looking at it another way - midrange seems dampened.  Fingers crosssed that it equalises ou over a few days.

Jon L

« Reply #32 on: 19 Jun 2006, 11:14 pm »
Quote from: HumanMedia
Reason I ask is that I just received a pair and in the first three hours of listening, I feel the bass is too much and creates a bass bump that wasnt there with other power cords (Flavor 4, Volex).  Descending double bass jumps up in volume over a specific range.  Also highs are too overemphasised and unnatural.

Or maybe looking at it another way - midrange seems dampened.  Fingers crosssed that it equalises ou over a few days.

Heh, I had a fully broken-in Silver Ref here for awhile, and yes the highs and bass will smooth out wonderfully.  Midrange, on the other hand...Well, you already know what I bought, don't you :)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 19 Jun 2006, 11:20 pm »
Jon,

What did you buy?

George

Jon L

« Reply #34 on: 20 Jun 2006, 12:29 am »
Quote from: zybar
Jon,

What did you buy?

George

A different Black Sand cord.  I don't have them yet, but
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=141423&page=5

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 20 Jun 2006, 12:34 am »
Quote from: Jon L
Jon,

What did you buy?

George

Too much work to go through pages.   :lol:

How about the Cliff Note version?   :mrgreen:

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #36 on: 20 Jun 2006, 12:37 am »
Jon,

What did you buy?

George

George had the Silver Max's....and a White Light (Black Sand) power cord.

Jon L

« Reply #37 on: 20 Jun 2006, 04:01 am »
Jon,

What did you buy?

George

Too much work to go through pages.   :lol:

How about the Cliff Note version?   :mrgreen:

George

Cliff Note version of what Mark1 said:

"So yes, it's [Silver Max] definitely more "refined", but it doesn't have the same degree of impact, dynamics, astonishing dynamic range, and amazing holographic sound of the Violet. I would think if the Violet was "too much" in your system, the Silver would be a great alternative."

yo2tup

Re: Black Sand Silver Reference Follow-Up
« Reply #38 on: 24 Jun 2006, 11:12 pm »
got my blacksand Violet yesterday.  paired with reality cables....incredible  :o

i've never heard dynamics like this in my house  :o

HumanMedia

Re: Black Sand Silver Reference Follow-Up
« Reply #39 on: 25 Jun 2006, 02:48 am »
What components do people recommend the Black Sand cords go with?

I have the Silver Reference burning in on each of the monoblock poweramps (still changing after 6 days, made a big change after the 4th day).

But I am considering another (time to try a violet maybe?) on another component, and wondering if there is a synergy with the different cords and different components?