Black Sand Silver Reference Follow-Up

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 27 May 2006, 01:16 pm »
I spent a few weeks with a few different Black Sand Silver Reference power  cords in my system with different connectors (Watt Gate Gold and Furutech Rhodium).  The majority of the audition was against the VH Audio AirSine on a McCormack DNA-500.  The connector was a 20 amp type as that is what the DNA-500 uses.  To help put this review in a better context, I used the same songs from my review of the AirSine I posted months ago.  

Before getting into the meat of the review, just wanted to say that John (Mr. Black Sand) has been a pleasure to deal with and communication has been excellent.  I also need to thank Chris, Marcus, and Gordy for assisting me in getting the Black Sand power cords to try in my system.

So for those who like to jump to end and see what the conclusion is, I will spare you and move it up front - the Silver Reference power cord is outstanding and represents an excellent value!!  I found it to be on par or better than the VH AUdio AirSine at about half the price!   :thumb:  

Now on to some comments I jotted down while listening to some of my reference tracks:

Ben Harper – Fight For Your Mind

* Track 4 opens with acoustic guitar and the Black Sand is a little faster with each string pluck and there is just a bit more detail.  The notes linger just a tad longer and that helps create a little more air around the instrument.  The AirSine was slightly more laid back (not in a bad way – just different) and not quite as engaging.

* Track 5 shows that the Black Sand produced bigger images and had greater weight than the AirSine. This track has a lot of cymbals, bells, and percussion instruments as well as a very strong baseline. The Black Sand is more solid in the bass and has slightly better detail.  For both the bass line was solid and clearly defined, but I would say that I preferred the speed, weight, and detail of the Black Sand over the more textured and slightly rounded sound of the AirSine.

In terms of the treble, both were very good at presenting excellent shimmer and decay that a good system can produce.  Both had lots of air around the instruments and no glare of grain.  Flip a coin in this area…

* Track 6 starts with great bongos and bass guitar. The Black Sand gives a little greater attack and bite to each hit. The instruments also seem more fleshed out, bigger, and more three dimensional.  Ben’s voice has a little more depth and weight to it with the Black Sand.    

The Bad Plus – These Are The Vistas

* Track 2 is quite simply bass to the right, piano to the left, and drums in the middle. The Black Sand continued to show off its better dynamic range. The piano had a weight and body to it that was just a little bit better than the AirSine.   Again, these aren’t night and day differences, just enough to hear a difference if you really know your system.

Sam Cooke – Night Beat

* Track 2 is Sam singing with a stand-up bass and simple drum kit. The Black Sand’s slightly blacker background allowed me to hear deeper into Sam’s voice.  When combined with added weight, Sam had a stronger presence with the Black Sand.  However, I still think the AirSine is able to portray better shadings and texture in Sam’s voice.  The perfect cord would combine the two!

Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily

* Track 5 opens with some great percussion and yet again the Black Sand was slightly ahead,   At the end of the song, there is a horse clopping with people talking – I was able to hear things more clearly and easily with Black Sand due to its better detail and blacker background.

* Track 7 is a simple piano and female vocal and the results were pretty much the same as was written with Sam’s and Ben’s voices above.  Natalie’s voice was a tad more holographic and 3-D like with the Black Sand, which really makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.  The added weight, speed, and size helped make the piano a little more real as well.

The two power cords (Silver Reference and AirSine) were closer to each other in terms of performance than different.  Both cords performed at a very high level and I think both would be a welcome addition to pretty much any system out there.  

Hopefully this review as well as what others have written in other threads, has helped people to understand that the Black Sand Silver Reference is an excellent power cord and should be added to the list of possible products to audition.  When you factor in price, I think that it should probably be moved up to near the top of your audition list.  

As I had previously posted, I am going to buy some Silver Reference power cords and add them into the mix.

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2006, 02:54 pm »
Thanks for your fine review George !! :D
    And thanks go back to Marcus for first turning me on to this power cord !!! :beer: [/list:u]
      Chris[/list:u]

John Ryder

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2006, 05:58 pm »
How did you measure all these "bit more detail"..or..."the note lingers a TAD longer"?  Certainly your brain doesn't have enough long term memory to compare a previous cable to this one...not possible..so how did you determine all the changes actually took place?

I like someone's explaination on another board..pretty much sums the whole power cords made a difference nicely.  :D

Being fairly new to audio, this is one of the aspects of the hobby that has both amused and puzzled me as a biologist. I often read claims that some aspects of audio cannot be measured by electro-mechanical instruments when in fact, if they're audible, those aspects are being measured by an electro-mechanical instrument - the ear. I suspect that in those cases where a difference is perceived, it is the fault of the processor - the brain - which is a notoriously unreliable electro-mechanical device. Despite the fact that it's subject to the very same universal laws of physics as the ear and the sound it measures

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2006, 06:38 pm »
John,

I would prefer that we don't start the cables/cords don't matter debate in this thread.

I am not going to try and convince you one way or the other.  Instead I encourage you and everybody else to try things out in your system and decide for yourself.

As for how I came up with my findings...

It was a combination of taking detailed notes and doing some equipment swaps in a system I know very well, with musical selections I have played thousands of times.

Are my methods and results scientific?  Nope.

They are totally subjective, but isn't this whole hobby?  

Regardless of measurements, people like what they like.  My objective is to simply provide my thoughts and let each person decide what they want to do with it.

George

darwin

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2006, 08:24 pm »
Quote from: John Ryder
How did you measure all these "bit more detail"..or..."the note lingers a TAD longer"?  Certainly your brain doesn't have enough long term memory to compare a previous cable to this one...not possible..so how did you determine all the changes actually took place?

I like someone's explaination on another board..pretty much sums the whole power cords made a difference nicely.  :D

That someone would be me. While I'm flattered that you thought enough of my post to quote it, I don't know that I like the idea of being dragged into a potential pissing match (which these types of discussions invariably turn into) by proxy. I'm old, I'm cranky, and I'm opinionated. As such, I would much prefer to spend my time more productively bitching about the government, irregularity, prostate enlargement, and "these kids today" than debating audio.  :wink:

yo2tup

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2006, 03:55 am »
sounds great.  how stiff are these cables?

audiojerry

« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2006, 04:03 am »
George, that was an excellent diplomatic reply to a skeptical poster.
I totally agree with your advice.

Forget the measurements.
Forget objectivity.

For those skeptics who are brave enough to challenge themselves, try the cords yourself. You risk nothing financially, but you may regret being so smug. Wouldn't it be tragic to find that a power cord made the music sound better?    

PS: I've heard the difference these cords make. It was dramatic and required no measurements to discern the difference.

Eric

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2006, 04:26 pm »
How much does customs nick you when these come acrossed the border??

Gordy

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2006, 05:02 pm »
Quote from: yo2tup
sounds great.  how stiff are these cables?

IIRC... the White Lighning can be easily curled into a 2.5" arc/circle and the Silver Ref(?) into about a 4" arc/circle.

Papajin

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2006, 06:42 pm »
Any web pages for either of these manufacturers?

Edit:

http://www.blacksandcable.com/

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2006, 07:27 pm »
Quote from: Eric
How much does customs nick you when these come acrossed the border??

Zilch!

:mrgreen:

George

gme109

Re: Black Sand Silver Reference Follow-Up
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2006, 01:08 am »
Quote from: zybar
I spent a few weeks with a few different Black Sand Silver Reference power  cords in my system with different connectors (Watt Gate Gold and Furutech Rhodium).  The majority of the audition was against the VH Audio AirSine on a McCormack DNA-500.  The connector was a 20 amp type as that is what the DNA-500 uses.  To help put this review in a better context, I used the same songs from my review of the AirSine I posted months ago.  

Before getting into the meat of the review, just wanted to say that John ( ...

Which amp are you using the Black Sand Silver's on, now that you've sold your McCormack DNA-500?

Double Ugly

Re: Black Sand Silver Reference Follow-Up
« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2006, 01:50 am »
Quote from: gme109
Which amp are you using the Black Sand Silver's on, now that you've sold your McCormack DNA-500?

Check here.

Eric

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2006, 06:26 pm »
I have been auditioning some of Johns PC's this week and the the reviews do not exaggerate. They are killer

lonewolfny42

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2006, 06:38 pm »
I have been auditioning some of Johns PC's this week and the the reviews do not exaggerate. They are killer
But why ?....what makes them special Eric ? Thanks...... :D

Eric

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2006, 06:42 pm »
For me the biggest difference was a greeater sense of the pace and timing of the music. It sounded more "cohesive" for lack of a better word. I found my self listening less for the normal audiophile things, and found myself just enjoying the music.

The differences were not sublte.  The music just seemed more "together"

lonewolfny42

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2006, 06:43 pm »
For me the biggest difference was a greeater sense of the pace and timing of the music. It sounded more "cohesive" for lack of a better word. I found my self listening less for the normal audiophile things, and found myself just enjoying the music.

Did you notice a difference in the quality of the bass ?
    Are these the power cables you were using.....Sonoran Plateau Lightning ?[/list:u]
      Thanks Eric.... :) [/list:u]

Double Ugly

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jun 2006, 07:29 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
But why ?....what makes them special Eric ? Thanks...... :D

Lemme offer my take while we're at it...

• Black background (VERY quiet!)
  • Very fast, but not unnaturally so (i.e., nothing is truncated)
  • Supremely detailed without inducing fatigue (MUCH more articulate bass in my system)
  • Imparts little if any of its own sonic signature
  • Improved pitch, timbre, tonality and pace make for a more real presentation

Based on my experience with John's PCs, I'll bet dollars to donuts that anyone with a reasonably resolving system will come to many of the same conclusions.  These power cords are the real deal IMHO, and every day I spend with them brings me just a little closer to pulling the trigger on 3 Silver Reference PCs. 

PS - Raining again, Chris?  :wink:
« Last Edit: 17 Feb 2007, 05:11 am by Double Ugly »

Eric

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jun 2006, 08:12 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42

Did you notice a difference in the quality of the bass ?
    Are these the power cables you were using.....Sonoran Plateau Lightning ?[/list:u]
      Thanks Eric.... :) [/list:u]

Both cords do bass very well. I think the Blacksands do a better job integrating it into the musical presentation. Don't get me wrong, the sonoran's are great cords. I just like the Blacksands better.

tdangelo

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jun 2006, 10:54 pm »
Quote from: Double Ugly
Lemme offer my take while we're at it...
    *Black background (VERY quiet!)
    *Very fast, but not unnaturally so (i.e., nothing is truncated)
    *Supremely detailed without inducing fatigue (MUCH more articulate bass in my system)
    *Imparts little if any of its own sonic signature
    *Improved pitch, timbre, tonality and pace make for a more real presentation
    [/list:u]
    Based on my experience with John's PCs, I'll bet dollars to donuts that anyone with a reasonably resolving syst ...

Jim,  I just added 3 more Silver Ref's to my system along with the 2 on my Butlers - I'm using them exclusively in my system along with Gregg's Reality Cables(great cables too!!).  You stated what I have found using them perfectly!

Tony D.