Stock Sony ES 999

woofer15

Stock Sony ES 999
« on: 12 Feb 2005, 08:19 pm »
I have the Sony Es 999 CDP.  I'm interested in modding the unit, but I need some more confidence in my decision.  Will the mod make a significant change to redbook sound or is it a subtle change that requires "golden" ears to appreciate?  I have been told that I would need to spend at least $3500 on a new CDP to approach what Dan can do to the Sony.  I'm not unhappy with my current sound although I feel there is some "edginess" on redbook.  The stock 999 LF extension seems to be adequate and fairly tight.  I find the 999 to be resolving in its presentation and I wouldn't want to lose the resolution in favor of a tube-like quallity that might lose some definition.  If you have some insights, I would certainly love to heat them.  I have some input over on audio asylum, but I thought there might be some valuable opinions over here.  Thanks in advance for your insights.

gongos

Stock Sony ES 999
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2005, 08:47 pm »
As an owner of a Modwright 999es tube player you're not going to lose any resolution with Dan's tube mods. They'll expose every micro-detail that's hidden on a disc. Here's a professional review of the Modwright 999es:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/modwright999ES.htm

To say the reviewer likes what he hears is a bit of an understatement. I don;t think you can do better for the money. Plus, you get a reference quality dvd player.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Stock Sony ES 999
« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2005, 12:11 am »
The mod is the best upgrade I've ever made in my audio/video setup.  It is another league beyond the stock 999ES; nothing subtle about it.  There are many reviews on this forum, and elsewhere, mine included.  The only negative (tongue-in-cheek): it has caused me to turn down many new exciting digital upgrades (DSP, etc.) because they don't resolve details and play real enough music like the analog outputs of the Modwright.

Ted