SOLD: Pass FirstWatt F7

roncagg

SOLD: Pass FirstWatt F7
« on: 23 Mar 2019, 01:13 am »
You will love this wonderful FirstWatt F7 class A amplifier by Nelson Pass, simple and elegant design. I am the original owner (March 2016), purchased off the original waiting list at authorized dealer Reno HiFi. Pass Labs confirmed that this one was built by Nelson himself before he turned over full production to the Pass factory. Works on a wide range of speaker sensitivities (85-100db as tested in the 6moons review), in spite of its relatively low power. I used it exclusively on DeVore The Nines speakers and with Wyred4sound stp-se (stage 2) and Manley shrimp preamplifiers. I thought I would keep this amp forever but I am taking the plunge with tubes (with which DeVores are meant to have great synergy) and can't afford to keep multiple amps around. Asking $2100 OBO, PayPal and shipping fees included. Perfect feedback on audiogon and usaudiomart under same ID roncagg.

Well reviewed by others as well!
6moons: Blue Moon Award
Dick Olsher: "Textural sweetness and warm tonality. Simply put: one of the best low-power amps money can buy."
Gary Beard: "The F7 offers outstanding frequency response from top to bottom, wonderful tone, and truthful resolution wrapped in a tube-like charm"
John Hoffman: "There is no doubt that the Fist Watt F7 is a refined, articulate, and expressive amplifier."

Specs:
Output power: 20Wpc into 8 ohms (1% THD at 1kHz); 30Wpc into 4 ohms (2% THD at 1kHz)
Frequency response: –3dB at 100kHz
Total harmonic distortion: 0.05% (1W)
Input impedance: 10k ohms
Gain: 14dB
Input sensitivity: 0.57V (1W); 2.53V (max output)
Damping factor: 100
Class A envelope: 50W peak at 4 ohms
Noise: 100µV unweighted, 20Hz–20kHz
Dimensions: 17" x 5.5" x 15"
Weight: 26 lbs.
Retail Price: $3000

some reviews:
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/first-watt-f7-stereo-power-amplifier
https://6moons.com/audioreviews2/firstwatt2/1.html
https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/the-first-watt-f7-power-amplifier/
http://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/first-watt-f7-amplifier/
https://www.cnet.com/news/first-watt-f7-very-special-amplifier-dazzled-the-audiophiliac/

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2019, 09:39 pm by roncagg »

RDavidson

Re: FS: FirstWatt F7
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2019, 03:33 am »
I don't think Nelson builds any production units himself anymore, since First Watt is no longer just his personal "kitchen table" operation. Once proof of concept and testing is completed to his satisfaction, I'm nearly 100% sure he hands over the production run manufacturing to Pass Labs...who are obviously beyond competent at building his creations.

The F7 is a wonderful amp. I owned one for about a 1.5 years. Good luck with your sale. :thumb:

roncagg

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2019, 10:41 am »
Thanks for your comments! I based my conjecture on emails with Mark at Reno HiFi, and on what Nelson wrote on his firstwatt.com site (4/1/2016 entry). Mark said:

“Hi Ron,

My understanding is that Nelson is building some F7’s personally, and then overseeing the building of other F7’s.

Since you’re on the waiting list and will be among the very first to have an F7 you’ll very probably have an F7 made by Nelson.

Congrats and Thanks!”

Of course I don’t know for sure, but I thought it might be interesting to Pass fans as it was to me.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2019, 02:59 pm »
That's really interesting and cool info. I didn't know that. I thought Nelson was basically done with production, but it makes sense that he would be involved on the front end of the run to ensure things go accordingly. Indeed, it sounds like if you have one of the first few off the line, Nelson might've built it or at least helped build it. I'm sure that Mark knows what he's talking about.

You ought to see if you can confirm this info. An email to Pass Labs with the serial number would probably tell the rest of the story. Pass fans would want to know for sure if Papa had a direct hand in building this amp.  :D

roncagg

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2019, 07:20 pm »
@rdavidson good suggestion. I heard back from Kent at Pass Labs support and he said they do not have a production record for that serial number, so as far as he can tell it’s a Nelson build! Nice bonus for the next owner.

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2019, 01:42 am »
Glad you were able to confirm your info. :D Best of luck with your sale. That's certainly a special amp and a rare opportunity for the diehard Pass fan.

roncagg

Re: FS: FirstWatt F7 *reduced
« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2019, 04:36 pm »
Bump for price reduction for audiocircle members, $2100 shipped! Don’t miss out on this opportunity to own one of Nelson’s best First Watt creations.

roncagg

Re: FS: Pass FirstWatt F7 $2100 obo (shipped)!
« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2019, 04:34 pm »
Bump.  Happy tax day!