Terminating NES-3003

jmpsmash

Terminating NES-3003
« on: 17 Dec 2018, 02:45 am »
@Jeff (and others who might know),

How to terminate the Neotech NES-3003? it has 4 individual cables. each has core and shield, and then there is an overall shield.

I originally thought just treat each individual's core+shield as one. and then put together red+white and blue+black. overall shield goes to -ve at source end.

Doesn't sound too good though.

Are there other methods?

ngamountains

Re: Terminating NES-3003
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2018, 04:06 am »
I can't help but will be keeping an eye out for answers here.  I had the exact same question about the same cable.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2018, 11:37 am »

jmpsmash

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2018, 06:27 pm »
The Hificollective instructions are incorrect. They ask to isolate the inner shield and if we do that we end up with just a 18awg cable, and then wasting a bunch of silver plated inner shield/spiral.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2018, 03:49 am »
We do not suggest termination geometry on our website because we cater to the DIY.  Everyone has their own way of....  However, we have an opinion.  We have merely learned to refrain from giving our unsolicited opinion  :oops: :lol:

Remember, you asked... :green:  This is how we terminate it.  Assuming you are single wiring, we combine the core from the Black & Red to the shield of the White & Blue on each end for +.  We combine the core from the White & Blue to the shield of the Black & Red at each end for the -.  The cable shield is blind at the speaker, but gathered and connected to the - at the amp.  Some like the cable shield connected, and some do not.  We twist the full shield bundle, but cut it short.  We connect it with a 18g drain wire.

What connectors are you using?

jmpsmash

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2018, 04:17 am »
That's very interesting way to terminate it! I might try it out and see how it sounds. Any reasoning to it?

I am using WBT 0645 connectors.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2018, 04:32 am »
@Jeff (and others who might know),

Are there other methods?
Connectors are a source of electrical and money loss, I could solder the core only to the amp circuit or speaker or xover, let the shield alone.
Seems this is my unsolicited opinion  :scratch:

jmpsmash

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2018, 09:52 pm »
Connectors are a source of electrical and money loss, I could solder the core only to the amp circuit or speaker or xover, let the shield alone.
Seems this is my unsolicited opinion  :scratch:

I see self amplified bluetooth speakers in your future.  :green:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2018, 10:40 am »
I see self amplified bluetooth speakers in your future.  :green:
I afraid young audiophiles will accept it without think twice.

jmpsmash

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jan 2019, 07:27 pm »
That's very interesting way to terminate it! I might try it out and see how it sounds. Any reasoning to it?

I am using WBT 0645 connectors.

Well no response from @Jeff but I went ahead and re-terminated the NES3003, putting the 2 innercore together in one banana plug, and then the 2 inner shields in another banana plug. Kinda like biwire configuration, but not actually doing biwire. this allow experimenting with different terminations. Friend and I both came to the same conclusion, with best to worse sounding:

- red/white core together with blue/black core (and vice versa) (as Jeff suggested)
- cores only, leaving inner shield disconnected
- red/white core together with red/white core

I have no explanation, just the results from listening. :)

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2019, 07:29 am »
My apologies for the late reply.  We were trying to get shunt down for two weeks the day after your post. 

I'm not sure you tried it the way I suggested.  So..., please confirm:  You combine the core from the Black & Red, and connected it with the shield from the White & Blue, on each end for the Positive.  Then, you combine the core from the White & Blue, and connected it with the shield from the Black & Red, on each end for the Negative.  You tried it with, and without the cable shield connected to the Negative of the amp (only).

For a better understanding, research DIY speaker cable receipts Jon Risch.  We applied that approach to the NES-3003, and really liked the result.

If you have not tried the connection above, please do.  Other things to consider.  When using set screw connectors, you should always use the appropriate size crimp sleeve.  This will make a better connection, and protect the wire from damage.  With this setup, a spade connection will be better.  If a spade absolutely can not be used, use a better banana.  That 645 leaves a lot to be desired.  It would not be hard to find a banana with a 50% increase in Copper content without that thick Nickel subplate.  :(

BTW, the best, and fastest way to acquire tech from me is to email me directly.  The address is on the Contact page at my website :D

willief23

« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2021, 12:03 pm »
Jeff if i send you a single run of 5feet neotech 3003 speaker cable with neotech banana plugs can you terminate them?

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2021, 03:18 am »
I'm sure we could.  Email me for the particulars.  I seldom get notice thru this site.  See "Contact Us" on our website.

Officialsm

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2022, 08:28 pm »
Ho @jeff and all,
I will buy Nes-3003 as soon and i Need to do biwiring configuration (only ok speaker side).
Do you suggest to use white/black (fat core) to low frequencies and blue/red (thin core) to high frequencies or do you suggest to mix them?
And how do you suggest to combine shields for the mix?

Thank you so much helping me!

smarius

« Reply #14 on: 8 Mar 2024, 02:02 pm »
Hello,

Can someone please provide details on how to terminate the NES-3003 mk2 cable for a bi-amp setup?

Thank you,
Marius