***SOLD*** Hadcock GH242 Export Cryo arm + Cartridge Man MM III + Isolator $800

sunnydaze

THE ARM:

Hadcock is not a household name in the US, but it should be better known.  Amazing value -- it's level of performance should sell for much more. I bought this arm a few years ago from the original owner.  He said it was his "backup arm" -- never used.  It did look brand new when I received it.  I have several arms in rotation so I only put a few hundred hours on it.

This is the "export cryo" version of the 242.  All the different versions is a bit confusing, but the main difference is that various wiring options are offered.  It's all explained here (along with some reviews):

http://www.soundhifi.com/hadcock.html

This arm is the later version that Len Gregory (The Cartridgeman) redesigned for George Hadcock.  It does not suffer from the lack of precision and slightly shoddy build you may read about in some of the earlier versions.  It's actually quite a beautiful and elegant arm that allows for quick, easy and precise adjustment of all parameters, including azimuth.

Many pundits claim that this arm is more musical than the SME V with the only area the SME betters it is in absolute bass slam.  With my Music Maker 3 cartridge I never found it lacking in this regard.

"I was extremely surprised at the performance of the “Hadcock GH242 export.” This arm (ignored and slated by the high fi press for years) proved to be a “wolf in sheep’s clothing.” I did not expect the panoramic imaging to be as precise as was displayed. Neither did I think that the “export” would show transient abilities way beyond its price point would suggest. On solo piano this arm proved an exemplary performer adding very little of its own character to the overall quality of the vinyl being played. George Hadcock should be proud of this arm. Its performance was very similar to my own SME 5" --  Stewart Wennan, Hi-Fi World April 2004

I owned a Moerch UP-4 alongside the Hadcock.  Preferred the Hadcock, sold the Moerch awhile ago.  This arm is exactly as I describe and present in pics.  I guarantee it.  I have excellent feedback on all the usual audio marketplaces.  Buy with confidence.

Includes everything as if new.  Condition is excellent, as shown in the pics snapped yesterday.

Current retail is about USD 1200. 

THE CARTRIDGE:       (UPDATE:   NOT AVAILABLE -- I'VE DECIDED TO KEEP IT)

Also available is the excellent Cartridge Man Music Maker III cartridge.  It is an exquisite moving iron cartridge that simply makes great music.  Please read the reviews from 6moons, TNT Audio, Enjoy the Music and many others to get a good idea of the capabilities of this fine cartridge.

Len Gregory designed this cart along with the Hadcock arm so the synergy is superb.   I'm the 2nd owner, bought a few years ago specifically to pair with the arm.  Seller estimated 200 hrs on it.  I added another few hundred.   Cantilever is straight, stylus sharp, tracks like a champ.  Please see pics.  Can't go wrong when combined with the Hadcock arm. 

"As I wrap this one up listening to Pure Audiophiles release of Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers Keystone 3 on ultra cool red vinyl, I am reminded of how good this cartridge is. The Music Maker III is clean and extended on the top end. The midrange is harmonically rich yet very defined yet never coming across as dull or veiled. The bass digs extremely deep and is very tuneful. While the MM-III performs extremely well on Rock and Roll, it is just as at home with Jazz and Classical. She images like a champ giving extremely good definition to all of the performers and instruments on the virtual soundstage. Her sound is wonderfully open and spacious without being exaggerated. Best part is she has soul and is enormously involving to listen to. After all, isn't that what we are in this hobby for... emotional involvement?"  -- Enjoy the Music

This cart retails for $1200.

Specs, info and some additional positive review snippets here:

http://www.thecartridgeman.com/music_maker.htm

CARTRIDGE MAN ISOLATOR: 

See it attached to cart in photos.  It's a resonance control device.  Also designed by Len Gregory, it mates beautifully with the Music Maker cart.  I believe it sells for $150.  Rather than blab on about it here, Google for all the positive reviews and comments.

All 3 designed by Len Gregory, so buy the package for the utmost synergy from stylus tip to preamp inputs.

But will sell separately:

Arm:           $800       (mount plate in pics NOT INCLUDED)
Cartridge:    $450

If either ask price is met, I will throw in the Isolator for free and cover insured s/h, provided PP friends / family is used.

Buy both for $1050.  With Isolator thrown in the $2550 retail is discounted by almost 60%.

More pics in my Gallery:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=27913

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=22898

« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2018, 11:17 pm by sunnydaze »

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Hi,
What is the length of the arm?
Bob.

sunnydaze

Hi,
What is the length of the arm?
Bob.

Mount Distance:  226mm       (8.9 inches)

Effective length:  243.8mm    (9.6 inches)

Overall Length:  304.8mm      (12.0 inches)

sunnydaze

Arm is sold pending receipt of funds.

Cartridge is still available.

sunnydaze

Deal fell through, tonearm still available.

sunnydaze

UPDATE:  the cartridge is no longer FS -- I've decided to keep this fine music making machine.

sunnydaze

BUMP

only the arm and isolator are available.

sunnydaze

Arm is sold, pending receipt of funds.

sunnydaze