Epico

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Epico
« on: 4 Oct 2018, 10:25 pm »
Figured walnut with a natural oil finish.

charmerci

Re: Epico
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2018, 11:51 pm »
Figured walnut with a natural oil finish.

Yeah, naturally I figured it was walnut.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.  :roll: )

Very nice!  :thumb:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2018, 04:08 am »
Yeah, naturally I figured it was walnut.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.  :roll: )

Very nice!  :thumb:

Good one!  :lol:

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2018, 06:21 pm »
Handsome speakers! But as always with the actives, I’m concerned about the highs being too bright.

Quoting the report from the NC Audiophile gathering:

“Selah Audio Epico speakers were well tested and enjoyed. We nicknamed them the epi-pen because they are so exciting! .... We were all impressed with the bass extension, intelligibility and tonal texture. Of course the Accuton mid and SS Be tweet are state of the art high frequency drivers; their refinement (with Selah filters) surpassed my Legacy Focus SE dual ATMs, imo. The Legacys had deeper bass, of course, but with onboard EQ, you can adjust the Epico tone to suit the room and preference. The Epicos had to be placed way far out (5 feet!) into the room because of the Legacys' position, and some of the guys said they sounded a little thin in upper bass in comparison to the Legacys, but I think they would fill in nicely if they were a foot or two closer to the front wall, like where Rick places them while voicing the crossover. But no complaints about the low bass, especially considering it's only a single 6.5" driver per side. Rick says F3 is 38Hz, iirc, from a 6.5! And the bass high pass is adjustable with DSP to whatever you need. You better like detail for these babies! The internal amplifier and DSP were excellent, no hint of coloring or missing anything, they seemed up to the demands of these drivers for signal purity and refinement. Rick demonstrated the software used to adjust the internal amp's DSP, it makes the speakers very adaptable to any room and for blending with any subwoofer. I have a relatively bright room, and I prefer a couple dB rolled off in the treble, ... but these days it's almost impossible to find a speaker that's voiced the old fashioned way, these days they are all flat flat flat, and of course this is good.

But I liked the idea that I could use the DSP to experiment easily with a gentle rolloff of 2dB from 1k-20kHz if I wanted to try ...”

Actually, I find that “a speaker that's voiced these days they are all flat flat flat” isn’t ideal. I’d be happy to have a less flat voicing if it meant I’d realize less bright highs and more uumph in the mids, if possible.

How ‘tone-downable’ are the highs in the Epico?

And what about the above mention about having the Epicos 5 ft into the room? How far from the walls to they have to be?

Cheers,
Lester

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2018, 08:10 pm »
Handsome speakers! But as always with the actives, I’m concerned about the highs being too bright.

Quoting the report from the NC Audiophile gathering:

“Selah Audio Epico speakers were well tested and enjoyed. We nicknamed them the epi-pen because they are so exciting! .... We were all impressed with the bass extension, intelligibility and tonal texture. Of course the Accuton mid and SS Be tweet are state of the art high frequency drivers; their refinement (with Selah filters) surpassed my Legacy Focus SE dual ATMs, imo. The Legacys had deeper bass, of course, but with onboard EQ, you can adjust the Epico tone to suit the room and preference. The Epicos had to be placed way far out (5 feet!) into the room because of the Legacys' position, and some of the guys said they sounded a little thin in upper bass in comparison to the Legacys, but I think they would fill in nicely if they were a foot or two closer to the front wall, like where Rick places them while voicing the crossover. But no complaints about the low bass, especially considering it's only a single 6.5" driver per side. Rick says F3 is 38Hz, iirc, from a 6.5! And the bass high pass is adjustable with DSP to whatever you need. You better like detail for these babies! The internal amplifier and DSP were excellent, no hint of coloring or missing anything, they seemed up to the demands of these drivers for signal purity and refinement. Rick demonstrated the software used to adjust the internal amp's DSP, it makes the speakers very adaptable to any room and for blending with any subwoofer. I have a relatively bright room, and I prefer a couple dB rolled off in the treble, ... but these days it's almost impossible to find a speaker that's voiced the old fashioned way, these days they are all flat flat flat, and of course this is good.

But I liked the idea that I could use the DSP to experiment easily with a gentle rolloff of 2dB from 1k-20kHz if I wanted to try ...”

Actually, I find that “a speaker that's voiced these days they are all flat flat flat” isn’t ideal. I’d be happy to have a less flat voicing if it meant I’d realize less bright highs and more uumph in the mids, if possible.

How ‘tone-downable’ are the highs in the Epico?

And what about the above mention about having the Epicos 5 ft into the room? How far from the walls to they have to be?

Cheers,
Lester

There are four presets that can be used for voicing. The range of adjustment is very flexible. As Rich noted the Legacy speakers were in place which moved the Epicos further out into the room. They can be set at most any distance from the rear wall and adjusted if needed to meet your listening preference. At the LSAF in Dallas the rear wall was about 18" to 24" from the rear of the cabinet and I received many positive comments.

David JH

« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2018, 06:22 pm »
I believe these are the speakers Rick made for me.  I love them.  I am not an audiophile, but I can appreciate beautiful sounds.  Listening to these speakers caused my 17 year old daughter's mouth to drop, and now I get to enjoy my daughter and my wife dancing in the halls.  What more could you ask for?

I will leave speaker placement issues and the like to more sensitive ears, I will just be enjoying them.