Incredible $70 Upgrade

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Incredible $70 Upgrade
« Reply #20 on: 1 Sep 2017, 06:31 pm »
I am really surprised at falling for total snakeoil on the part of witchdoctor.
The outlets pictured are total crap.

But if it is a joke, like "April Fools".. no problem.(maybe he is 'testing' what fools will say?)

Seriously either witchdoctor got hit in the head with a brick HARD, or is high on LSD.. Then the post might make sense.
As it is, he clearly has jumped off the deep end of an empty pool.

Mapleshade sells some of the worst POS for AC I have ever seen. But there are fools who will buy them.

zoom25

« Reply #21 on: 1 Sep 2017, 06:47 pm »
I use a few cryo Hubbell HBL 5262. This is the one I have. Talks about the plating and stuff:

https://www.takefiveaudio.com/products/1491-hubbell-5262w-heavy-duty-grade-outlet-white-cryo-treated/

It made the sound more relaxing over the stock ones that came from the house. Then I got the Torus which uses custom extra heavy duty medical Hubbell. I haven't found any problem with the sound on either of them.

I'd stick with a reputable company like Leviton, Pass & Seymour, or Hubbell. Everything should be done by the books when dealing with electricity.

Elizabeth

« Reply #22 on: 1 Sep 2017, 06:50 pm »
I'd stick with a reputable company like Leviton, Pass & Seymour, or Hubbell. Everything should be done by the books when dealing with electricity.
Avoid ALL Leviton... They are really cheap junk.

Heavy duty Pass & Seymour or Hubbell.. Way to go for stock duplex.

witchdoctor

« Reply #23 on: 2 Sep 2017, 06:28 pm »
What does "UL" mean? significance for audio?

Also, I didnt see anyone mention use of an isolator or conditioner in the line up, running from the wall receptacle.
i would be curious of the SQ difference from the Mapleshade the wall plate for those using additional electrical cleaning units. e.g., I use a RGPC Pole Pig

I use a Monster HTPS 7000 PLC, their top of the line, retails for about $1000 new when I bought it many years ago. I plugged the PLC into the wall outlet and was off to the races. If I were to do it over again I would get the outlet first and them a Mapleshade PLC, I am sure it has more synergy with the outlet and it is cheaper than the Monster unit I own.
I use Virtual Dynamics Nite power cables, about $1000 each when they were new many years ago, now about $400 second hand if you can find them. Again if I were doing it again today I would just get the Mapleshade cords (also cheaper).
IMO I would never get after market PLC or power cords without changing the outlet first, it would just seem a waste to plug high end PLC into standard wall socket.

I am going to get another outlet to use with my projector, can't wait.  :D

witchdoctor

« Reply #24 on: 2 Sep 2017, 06:40 pm »

But if it is a joke, like "April Fools".. no problem.(maybe he is 'testing' what fools will say?)

Seriously either witchdoctor got hit in the head with a brick HARD, or is high on LSD.. Then the post might make sense.

Mapleshade sells some of the worst POS for AC I have ever seen. But there are fools who will buy them.

If you don't like Mapleshade send it back for a refund, no LSD or pool jumping required. Good luck with your 12 step program for anger management.

zoom25

« Reply #25 on: 2 Sep 2017, 06:55 pm »
Avoid ALL Leviton... They are really cheap junk.

Heavy duty Pass & Seymour or Hubbell.. Way to go for stock duplex.

I didn't know that about Leviton. Don't have experience with that.

All that's used at the server company is the Hubbell and Pass & Seymour extra heavy duty stuff. Thousands of those yellow plugs along with Tripp Lite gear. Roll our own cables.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #26 on: 2 Sep 2017, 07:17 pm »
... It transformed the sound to make everything clearer and closer to sounding "live" both in music and movies. ...

A Mapleshade 'Minimalist' outlet did all that?   :o

witchdoctor

« Reply #27 on: 2 Sep 2017, 08:52 pm »
A Mapleshade 'Minimalist' outlet did all that?   :o

Yes, that's why I started this thread. It wasn't subtle, it was much better. :thumb:

FYI
http://mapleshadestore.com/ownersmanuals/ownersmanual_acoutlet.pdf

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #28 on: 2 Sep 2017, 09:10 pm »

What does being high on LSD have to do with this? Have you ever tried LSD ?
I have and it wouldn't have any effect on this. That's just part of the "Tricky Dick" mentality. And a false cliche.
Most of the drugs in your medicine cabinet are far more dangerous and abused much more.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #29 on: 2 Sep 2017, 09:28 pm »
I just think the installation process for these as outlined by Mapleshade is a little too cavalier, even for a reckless audiophile like me. The lack of a UL should be mentioned and the relevant cautions of insurance liability if something goes horribly wrong, etc. etc. The typical audiophile outlets at least are functionally similar to regular outlets, but these... Anyway, whatever. The overall premise is interesting and probably effective.

Seriously, the insurance liability part should be an immediate warning flag for everyone. I am also quite positive that putting a wooden plate over a potential source of electrical fire is a recipe for bad juju.

Doublej

« Reply #30 on: 2 Sep 2017, 09:50 pm »
Yes, that's why I started this thread. It wasn't subtle, it was much better. :thumb:

FYI
http://mapleshadestore.com/ownersmanuals/ownersmanual_acoutlet.pdf

Was that for stereo or immersive audio listening?

witchdoctor

« Reply #31 on: 2 Sep 2017, 09:57 pm »
Was that for stereo or immersive audio listening?

Both, I tried all of the modes on my Marantz 7702, Pure Direct for stereo, DTS Neo X, Atmos, and Auro 3D. I never used to like DTS Neo X for music but after the new wall socket it sounds so much better I actually prefer it for certain recordings. That was a surprise.

Brettio

« Reply #32 on: 2 Sep 2017, 09:59 pm »
What does being high on LSD have to do with this? Have you ever tried LSD ?
I have and it wouldn't have any effect on this. That's just part of the "Tricky Dick" mentality. And a false cliche.
Most of the drugs in your medicine cabinet are far more dangerous and abused much more.

Elizabeth

« Reply #33 on: 2 Sep 2017, 10:08 pm »
The best way to check and see if the outlet gizmo really did actually make any difference is to put back the stock one. And re-compare.
The differences you hear may only be the cleaning effect of taking off and putting back on the AC wire in the wall. plus unplugging everything. (also new contects INSIDE the duplex. (how OLD was the old duplex?)

So, even a $2.99 heavy duty duplex replacement might have given you the same improvement.

From my own experience I had a "Hospital' outlet, which I thought at first was good. later I noticed my system sounded dull.
I took it out and put a Pass & Seymour outlet. The P&S was far better than the other one.

So, yes I can note the changes in an outlet.
But for the changes you describe, I would think something was seriously wrong with the old outlet/connections.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #34 on: 2 Sep 2017, 10:13 pm »
Seriously, the insurance liability part should be an immediate warning flag for everyone. I am also quite positive that putting a wooden plate over a potential source of electrical fire is a recipe for bad juju.

Seriously, seriously.  Half the members of this forum use homebuilt diy equipment like tube amplifiers, or cheap Chinese tube amplifiers bought direct from China, or "modded" equipment by guys named Joe in a garage somewhere,  none of which have UL or CE certification.  It's an outlet with what appears to be appropriate sized wire. If you're using 200 watt Class A mono block amps that need a dedicated 20 amp circuit each, avoid this product. 

If you call and talk to the Mapleshade people about their "minimalist" philosophy,  things may make more sense.....or not. If you get the opportunity to audition their demonstration system in West Virginia, you might be surprised by what they achieve. 

witchdoctor

« Reply #35 on: 2 Sep 2017, 10:15 pm »
The best way to check and see if the outlet gizmo really did actually make any difference is to put back the stock one. And re-compare.
The differences you hear may only be the cleaning effect of taking off and putting back on the AC wire in the wall. plus unplugging everything. (also new contects INSIDE the duplex. (how OLD was the old duplex?)

So, even a $2.99 heavy duty duplex replacement might have given you the same improvement.

From my own experience I had a "Hospital' outlet, which I thought at first was good. later I noticed my system sounded dull.
I took it out and put a Pass & Seymour outlet. The P&S was far better than the other one.

So, yes I can note the changes in an outlet.
But for the changes you describe, I would think something was seriously wrong with the old outlet/connections.

I agree that there are many variables but for $70 it is well worth a personal 30 day audition IMO. I regret not installing one years ago :oops:

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #36 on: 2 Sep 2017, 11:19 pm »
or b) even better, get rid of the in-wall box (metal or plastic) entirely. If you undertake b), you will need to provide some kind of wood mounting strips for the faceplate screws

That's from mapleshades installation instructions.

Seriously?  That can't be code - no junction box, just romex straight to the outlet?

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #37 on: 2 Sep 2017, 11:22 pm »
2) Our Amish-made Ambrosian maple faceplate eliminates the high dielectric absorption losses of plastic faceplates, as well as the high eddy current losses of metal ones

To paraphrase the simpsons,  "if anyone knows about electricity, its the Amish"

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #38 on: 2 Sep 2017, 11:50 pm »

+1, the wooden plate is the issue imo.

OzarkTom

« Reply #39 on: 2 Sep 2017, 11:57 pm »
To paraphrase the simpsons,  "if anyone knows about electricity, its the Amish"

That is too funny. Amish here uses none. Maybe they hand file away the holes?