New here and to Single Driver Speakers

Papi

New here and to Single Driver Speakers
« on: 5 Dec 2023, 05:15 am »
As I am supposed to introduce myself my name is Pete but my grandkids call me Papi. I’m 67 years of age and have had an on off love affair with audio equipment for over 50 years.  Most of my off years were a result of my 3 now fully functioning adult kids and getting them through college and later funding weddings (ouch).  Now with an empty home and some non spoken for funds at my disposal (other than my boat) I’ve long had an interest in single driver and low powered single ended tube amps.  I have a modest lifestyle system in our great room consisting of a pair of Duevel Planets speakers augmented by a small 8” powered sub driven by a museum grade Yamaha CR820 receiver which I will likely die with. I have upstairs in my “Man Loft” an Onix SS integrated amp and some vintage but pleasant sounding ADS L570/2’s. I’ve researched SE amp and speaker offerings as of late and would really like a nice modest system for my late evening Jazz listening in said loft. As I have purchased and sold most of my gear over the decades thru some well know sites and I am not opposed to continuing that trend.
      I recently came across the Musical Paradise SE amp which sells new for under $500 and it really piqued my interest, also I saw one on the Audio Nirvana (Commonsense audio) site for $799.  Both amps seem to be pretty well received from  what I’ve read.  My loft is approx 11’x 13’ so I can’t go too large on speakers and as I mentioned these would be for late evening sessions while the Misses would be in bed so no head banging required or desired. I really like the Omega Super 3 XRS, especially with the current RS5 driver Louis is using in them and I think they’ll give a full enough sound at the low to mid volumes I’m looking for. The other driver that interests me is the Audio Nirvana Classic 8” driver, I don’t know why but the look of a whizzer cone (Which neither of these speakers have) just throws me off. I’m also not too keen on building cabinets.
              If I decide to go that way I’d either have to buy pre made cabinets or hire a woodworker to build them, time will tell.  So that’s my story right now and I’m in no hurry to do this so probably sometime after the holidays, thanks for reading and I welcome any and all thoughts.

oskar

Re: New here and to Single Driver Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2023, 04:07 pm »
Welcome to AC.
You might want to look into Lii speakers.
lii-audio.com
Lots of info on this site on these single driver speakers.
Fullrangeman is a big fan.

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2023, 04:40 pm »
If budget permits, I'd look at Kenny Russell's (getdynaco.com) offerings. Especially his ST35 in your case. Just a better long term amp investment IF budget permits. The Lii speakers already mentioned are also worth a look.

Papi

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2023, 05:12 pm »
Thank you I'll look into both suggestions.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2023, 05:45 pm »
Welcome Peter  :thumb:
OB panels are very simple to made or order, this is a inexpensive DIY project from a AC member, it have only four(4) parts: Eminence Alpha15A + 4.7mH + Visaton B200 and a MDF baffle.

Other option are the Lii Audio F15 FR driver $399/pair, not each.
Here Decware OB with the Lii Audio F15 driver:

Always good read what GlowinTheDark site already tested:
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/speakers.html

Please note some Circles of interest you may like>
The Fullrange Driver Circle:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=128.0
The Open Baffle Circle:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=90.0
The Tube Amps Circle>
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=144.0

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2023, 06:20 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

… Visaton B200...

B200 gets way better if you install phase plugs: http://www.planet10-hifi.com/downloads/B200-phase-plug.pdf

One pof th ebest 8” FR i have heard. Ideal for an OB… with a big enuff baffle you can live wiothout the helper woofer (usually dirigor on an OB)

dave

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2023, 06:36 pm »
Welcome!

Wonderful introduction.  I also have been into hifi for 50+ years and have been a fan of single driver designs.  Owned a pair of floorstanding transmission lines sporting Fostex F200a drivers (nothing like the whizzer based, thin sounding garden variety Fostex drivers).  The F200a, when still available sold for nearly $600 a piece and used AlNiCo magnets, rated 30-20,000 Hz.  But the F200a were not high efficiency.  Couldn't find (at least 18+ years ago) high efficiency drivers that I liked.  And like you, don't favor whizzer cones, see them as mechanical crossovers.  So I "settled" for the F200a route (a very smooth, full mid-bass sound) with non SET amps. 

If I was to go with single driver design again for a smaller room, I'd go with Omega Super 3i, although it really bugs me that Louis refuses to list full specifications for any of his loudspeakers.  For an amp I'd look at Decware SE84UFO. 

Papi

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2023, 10:23 pm »
About 10-12 years ago I actually ran some homemade OB’s, they were Hawthorne audio 12” coaxial drivers which were pleasant sounding but did not fly with the wife in our great room.  She ordered the Martin-Logan SL3’s back in play (frankly I would’ve anyway) as she liked the aesthetic and sound better. I sold the Hawthornes in what seemed like a nano second.

rodge827

« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2023, 01:50 am »
Hi Papi and welcome to AC  8) I have also tried the diy open baffle route only to be disappointed in the sound quality. Too much to go into here. Your room is 11x13 and open baffles need space to breathe properly. Usually 3+/- feet from the front wall along with room treatments to get them right. My room is 11x15.5x8 and I have a pair of Charney Audio Companions with Voxativ AF-2.6 drivers powered by low watt 300b amps. This speaker might be a little too big for your space but the Charney Maestro series will fit perfectly and be great for your low listening needs. I’m not sure of your budget and will include a link to the site. Hope you find what you’re looking for.

http://charneyaudio.com/the-maestro.html

Reach out with any questions I’ll do my best.

Chris

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2023, 06:44 pm »
also tried the diy open baffle route only to be disappointed in the sound qualit

Same here… except my room is pretty big.

dave

Holygeezer

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2024, 10:32 pm »
I’m a little late to your post, but I just wanted to say I Love my Omega 3XRS speakers with the RS5 drivers. I listen to many genres of music, but my number one love would be jazz. I am currently driving them with a Wyred4Sound Mint integrated amp. My sources includes an older Apple MacMini and a Cayin Mini-CD MKII CD player. One other aspect of Louis’ speakers is that they are beautifully finished and look as good as they sound. I could not be happier with this setup, though some might want a subwoofer as well, though for jazz and other acoustic music I don’t “hear” the need. And I don’t care for the idea of whizzer cones either.

Kw6

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2024, 06:39 am »
Hi Dave,

Does your company build custom cabinets? I want to build another big bookshelf around the TB W2145? The ones I bought used have some wear and tear and wanted a new one in Cherry veneer. If you do I will post a pic of the current box. H 19.75" x W 12.75" x D 9.5"

Thanks!

Kw6

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jan 2024, 07:25 pm »
Hi Papi and welcome to AC  8) I have also tried the diy open baffle route only to be disappointed in the sound quality. Too much to go into here. Your room is 11x13 and open baffles need space to breathe properly. Usually 3+/- feet from the front wall along with room treatments to get them right. My room is 11x15.5x8 and I have a pair of Charney Audio Companions with Voxativ AF-2.6 drivers powered by low watt 300b amps. This speaker might be a little too big for your space but the Charney Maestro series will fit perfectly and be great for your low listening needs. I’m not sure of your budget and will include a link to the site. Hope you find what you’re looking for.

http://charneyaudio.com/the-maestro.html

Reach out with any questions I’ll do my best.

Chris

Hi Chris,
Are the regular Maestros same as the deeper cabinet X? I use a subwoofer so maybe I go with non X. Btw is Voxativ better in every way than my current favorite Tang Band W2145?

Thanks!

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #13 on: 7 Jan 2024, 07:43 pm »
Hi Dave,

Does your company build custom cabinets? I want to build another big bookshelf around the TB W2145? The ones I bought used have some wear and tear and wanted a new one in Cherry veneer. If you do I will post a pic of the current box. H 19.75" x W 12.75" x D 9.5"

Thanks!

We haven’t built anything for years… i just design (or draw) boxes. And not even that at the moment.

I have done a cabiney for the W8-1808. And have the 4” of that series — kinda coloured.

dave
« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2024, 06:15 pm by planet10 »

rodge827

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jan 2024, 01:41 pm »
Hi Chris,
Are the regular Maestros same as the deeper cabinet X? I use a subwoofer so maybe I go with non X. Btw is Voxativ better in every way than my current favorite Tang Band W2145?

Thanks!

Hi Kw6,
Yes the Maestro and MaestroX are essentially the same with the bass going deeper in the larger X. Pairing with a sub might be difficult. Due to the cabinet design the Maestro drivers are very fast and a sub might lag behind. I don’t have any experience with Tang Band drivers. The Voxativ drivers do sound way better than the Lii drivers. The Lii drivers sound good at their price point but the Voxativ drivers are in a completely different league. Stepping up to the Voxativ 1.6 from the Lii gives you deeper better defined bass, presence, and overall clarity with the 2.6 improving over the 1.6.
Hope this helped,
Chris

Kw6

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jan 2024, 07:45 pm »
Ok thanks Dave for letting me know! I am taking a liking to the Charney design.

Kw6

« Reply #16 on: 8 Jan 2024, 07:46 pm »
Hi Kw6,
Yes the Maestro and MaestroX are essentially the same with the bass going deeper in the larger X. Pairing with a sub might be difficult. Due to the cabinet design the Maestro drivers are very fast and a sub might lag behind. I don’t have any experience with Tang Band drivers. The Voxativ drivers do sound way better than the Lii drivers. The Lii drivers sound good at their price point but the Voxativ drivers are in a completely different league. Stepping up to the Voxativ 1.6 from the Lii gives you deeper better defined bass, presence, and overall clarity with the 2.6 improving over the 1.6.
Hope this helped,
Chris

Thank you Chris for sharing your experience with widebanders!

Kw6

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jan 2024, 07:52 pm »
Hi Chris,

I have another question! Have you heard the Cube 8 inch Neo drivers. If yes, do you feel Voxativ still overall better? Also do you or anyone here have experience with the Omega Super XRS compared to the Maestro X?

Thanks!

rodge827

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jan 2024, 08:12 pm »
Hi Chris,

I have another question! Have you heard the Cube 8 inch Neo drivers. If yes, do you feel Voxativ still overall better?

Thanks!

I have not listened to the Cube 8 drivers but I believe Charney has and decided to go with the Voxativ or AER drivers. Contacting Carney might be your best bet for a comparison.

Kw6

« Reply #19 on: 8 Jan 2024, 08:15 pm »
I have not listened to the Cube 8 drivers but I believe Charney has and decided to go with the Voxativ or AER drivers. Contacting Carney might be your best bet for a comparison.

Ok thanks again! Do you have any experience with Omega Super XRS speakers and how they compare to Maestro X?