Digital connection options

macdane

Digital connection options
« on: 21 Jan 2018, 11:15 pm »
My source is a MacBook Air (MBA) running through a Meridian Explorer and then on to my preamp via a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable. I'm pleased with the sound at this point, but I have a Hegel H80 integrated amp coming this week with a built-in DAC and I'm thinking about various connection options to try out the new DAC.

The H80 is equipped with coax, optical and USB digital inputs, but my understanding is that the MBA is the limiting factor because it doesn't have that hidden optical connection inside its headphone jack that other Macs have ... correct? So my options would be (A) run a USB cable from the MBA to the H80, (B) buy some kind of USB-to-SPDIF adapter and use a coax cable, or (C) continue using the Meridian as I am now.

Does that sound right? And which of A or B options would be most likely to realize an improvement over the Meridian? Best Buy is literally the only local source I have for any of this stuff, so trying one of those options will mean ordering something online and hoping for the best. At least with the USB option I can try one of the cheapo cables that came with a printer or something as a starting point. What would you folks advise me to try and/or expect?

Thanks!
Dane

artur9

Re: Digital connection options
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2018, 02:16 am »
I thought the USB input on the Hegels are a strong point.  That's what I'm planning on in the not-to-distant future.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2018, 03:02 am »
I thought the USB input on the Hegels are a strong point.

Several reviews I read on the H80 preferred the S/PDIF connection to the USB, as well as allowing 24/192 vs 24/96 if that makes any difference relative to one's library.

Of course that would require acquisition of a USB > S/PDIF converter.

macdane

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2018, 07:43 am »
Several reviews I read on the H80 preferred the S/PDIF connection to the USB, as well as allowing 24/192 vs 24/96 if that makes any difference relative to one's library.

Of course that would require acquisition of a USB > S/PDIF converter.

I'm not particularly averse to the idea of buying a converter to use the SPDIF input, nor do I find the 24/96 limitation to be a deal-breaker for the USB connection. As artur9 said above, I believe I've read that Hegel favors the USB route, at least in part because it allows the H80 to control the clock. I could be mistaken.

Hmm.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2018, 11:27 am »
Yeah, I was disappointed too when I found out that my MBA lacked optical output.  But I run mine via a 10 foot USB cable to my DAC (see my system and review in Critic's Circle of 9 cables).  My favorite USB cable ended up being a $74 Straight Wire.  Note that I only run ripped Redbook.

Don't understand in general why a separate USB/SPDIF convertor might sound better than running USB straight into a DAC.  You'd be running a USB signal, a convertor, and a SPDIF signal versus a straight USB signal. 

Meridian (Explorer 2 at least) allows for full MQA playback, but I fully expect the Hegel to sound better (plus or minus the remastering of MQA). 

macdane

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2018, 05:46 pm »
Yeah, I was disappointed too when I found out that my MBA lacked optical output.  But I run mine via a 10 foot USB cable to my DAC (see my system and review in Critic's Circle of 9 cables).  My favorite USB cable ended up being a $74 Straight Wire.  Note that I only run ripped Redbook.

Thanks JLM, I'll definitely look up that cable review! Like you, the vast majority of my library is ripped Redbook. I do have several dozen SACDs — part of the impetus for this move to using the MBA as my source is that my SACD player recently bit the dust. For all of my hybrid SACDs, I've ripped the Redbook layer as ALAC. That leaves me scratching my head over perhaps 15 or so SACD-only discs that will just sit on the shelf until there's a good solution for ripping those.

Don't understand in general why a separate USB/SPDIF convertor might sound better than running USB straight into a DAC.  You'd be running a USB signal, a convertor, and a SPDIF signal versus a straight USB signal.

I'm with you there. Just seemed prudent to explore the few options I have before investing in one of them.

Meridian (Explorer 2 at least) allows for full MQA playback, but I fully expect the Hegel to sound better (plus or minus the remastering of MQA).

Again, I think we're on the same page. I have the older Explorer 1 that's not updatable to handle MQA, and (for now at least) I'm just fine with that.

Thanks!
Dane

artur9

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2018, 10:14 pm »

Some of those converters are also isolators for the electrical/ground noise that can travel over USB.  Like some claim for the Schiit Eitr.  This would be especially true if you use it to go from USB to optical.

artur9

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2018, 10:16 pm »
That leaves me scratching my head over perhaps 15 or so SACD-only discs that will just sit on the shelf until there's a good solution for ripping those.

I've heard that those can be ripped with an original PS3 or some models of the Oppo player.

macdane

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2018, 11:07 pm »
I've heard that those can be ripped with an original PS3 or some models of the Oppo player.

I knew some guys doing this with an old PS3 awhile back and decided I didn't want to fuss over trying to buy one at the time just for ripping a handful of discs. The Oppo thing is an avenue worth exploring, though ... thanks!

Dane

macdane

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2018, 11:09 pm »
Update: I emailed Hegel to describe my situation and ask for their advice. They wrote back today saying to use the USB connection to give control to the H80, and suggested getting a "good" quality USB cable but not necessarily an expensive one. Short and sweet answer, and good enough for me to get started.

Dane

JLM

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2018, 12:29 pm »
I'm in the same boat with vinyl, have a dozen albums from the 70's that I haven't found CD versions of, so I hold onto them.  Someday I'll talk a vinylphile into ripping them for me.

With a Mac you shouldn't have noise from USB (I'm also a believer in fixing the problem with quality upfront versus cluttering up the system with add-ons.  That's why my simplest system is MBA to DAC/preamp to active monitors.

Fortunately the cable maniacs have, for the most part, been stymied at USB by the notion that it's digital, so it shouldn't sound different.  But that hasn't stopped most of the audiophile brands from offering overpriced USB cables.  I'm a retired engineer and see science more of a problem solving method than a fountain of "final" answers to be blindly accepted.  So fully realize that we don't (and may never) understand the physical universe, so perceive pat answers as simplistic. 

In my 9 USB comparison preferred a $2 Blue Jean cable to $300 audiophile cables. But I'm a speaker guy, so what do I know?

macdane

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2018, 02:27 pm »
Fortunately the cable maniacs have, for the most part, been stymied at USB by the notion that it's digital, so it shouldn't sound different.  But that hasn't stopped most of the audiophile brands from offering overpriced USB cables.

I'm NOT an engineer, nor do I even play one on TV. I worked my way through college selling high end audio back in the late '80s/early '90s and had no shortage of experiences with cables making a night-and-day difference. At the same time, I didn't want to be "that guy" selling snake oil so my take on cables has always been this: if you THINK you hear a difference, then for all practical purposes you DO hear a difference. Technical explanations be damned, that outlook has always served me well. So I had no problem selling $1000 speaker cables to the oral surgeon who heard a difference in his system, but there was no way I'd try and twist the arm of a poor college student (do they even have those anymore?).

There are three major differences between now and then. First, expensive cables no longer cost $1000. Shoot, I recently read a review of an 8-foot pair of speaker cables that cost more than my entire hifi rig PLUS my car! So the stakes are higher today.

Second, my objectives have changed. I'm no longer interested in this being an all-consuming hobby for the sake of squeezing subtle improvements out of my system. I'm willing to invest a certain amount of time and money to get it sounding good, but probably not willing to invest weeks in a cable comparison like you did (though I'm glad you did, and I've certainly undertaken similar exercises in the distant past).

Third, I'm looking at digital cables today rather than analog, which seems to me to be a very different animal. In my mind, this is similar to the difference between analog and digital TV broadcast. While analog broadcasts allowed the possibility of "reception in degrees" — a weak signal or interference from the radio tower behind my house would degrade the signal in various ways — the switch to digital meant that I either get the signal or I don't. If the picture looks like crap, it's an artifact of the source material rather than anything happening in the air between the antenna and me. Likewise, any USB cable capable of transferring my digital photos from one drive to another without somehow degrading them has proven its mettle in a way. So I have a really hard time getting my head around the notion of digital cables making a huge difference.

For the record, I'll likely begin by using the Meridian Explorer as I have been. I'll keep my eye out for what looks like a good deal on a decent USB cable and give it a try at some point. With a little bit of luck, a year from now I'll look back and laugh at myself.

Dane

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2018, 04:55 pm »
  Our preferred connection from Transport to DAC is RJ45 [I2S]. For music server or computer a USB with separate power leg. Everything makes a difference good or bad. Ya just need to try all options not just an expensive solution.

charles

JLM

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jan 2018, 12:22 pm »
Dane,

I think you and I are closer to agreeing than you may realize.  As home audio boils down to being entertained it should be subjective above trying to analyze based on the physics we know.  Even with unlimited resources our values will ultimately dictate how much we spend on a given piece of gear.  Personally I'm comfortable having invested up to say $10,000 USD on an audio system (and that number seems to go down with time and higher value technology).  Lastly your point about digital vs analog is exactly the point I was trying to make about the marketers not intruding into the USB cable business.  BTW I'm retired, so the time needed to compare 9 cables was "free" and honestly didn't take as long as you might guess.

macdane

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2018, 02:49 pm »
I think you and I are closer to agreeing than you may realize.

I actually think we have a lot of common ground, JLM, and if it sounded like I was disagreeing with you then I didn't do a very good job of expressing my thoughts. Thanks for your input on these issues!

Dane

AllynW

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2018, 03:31 pm »
In the not so recent past I used a USB to SPDIF converter with my MBA. I performed well, with no appreciable difference in sound quality.

I have a few SACD’s and a full function Pre-Amp.  I recorded my SACD’s as follows:  SACD player>tape In>out to computer.  I use Audacity for recording.

macdane

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2018, 05:45 pm »
I have a few SACD’s and a full function Pre-Amp.  I recorded my SACD’s as follows:  SACD player>tape In>out to computer.  I use Audacity for recording.

Thanks AllynW, that seems like a reasonable short-term solution but my SACD player is dead!