Anybody watching the Winter Olympics?

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Anybody watching the Winter Olympics?
« on: 20 Feb 2010, 02:37 pm »
While things started off with a tragedy (luger dying during a practice run), this Winter Games has been very engaging and enjoyable.  I like the mixture of the traditional events with some of the newer ones and there have been interesting story lines and rivalries throughout the first week.

It also doesn't hurt that the US is performing at a very high level.  It is always nice to see your home country do well in the Olympics.

George

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Anybody watching the Winter Olympics?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2010, 02:43 pm »
Yes, every night!  Go U.S.A.!

mcullinan

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2010, 03:14 pm »
Shaun White was unbelievable! The 1260 on the second run the other day was awesome.
Love the Olympics.
M

mshan

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2010, 03:24 pm »
Yes, NBC's primetime programming has been surprisingly focused and enjoyable.

edit:  I am a very casual sports viewing and probably wouldn't watch any of these events unless it is Olympics.  I must be in their target primetime audience as presentation to me seems better than last Olympics.
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2010, 06:31 pm by mshan »

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2010, 05:23 pm »
Yes, I check them out every evening and sometimes during the day.

I'm not enamored with the NBC coverage though. :( For instance, they didn't televise the Men's Downhill, at least in my area, LIVE. It was shunted to prime time so that you had to go through the day without media so that you wouldn't know the results prematurely.

Also they chopped up many of the events so to force the viewer to sift through the schedule and advertisements to view many of the events. In addition, NBC littered their broadcast with a lot of superfluous commentary and fluff human interest crap instead of devoting more time to the actual events. Of course, I realize that they're just preparing the ground for the exalted  :angel: stars to become media celebrities and future profit centers and these events can't be televised for free.

On the other hand the camera work was superb. I also thought that some of the expert commentary was very good.

I live near the US/Canadian border so I now regret tearing down my old TV antenna thereby ending my access to the Canadian coverage which I suspect would be much better than the over commercialized NBC fluff. 

-Roy

« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2010, 06:35 pm by rajacat »

Bill

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2010, 06:26 pm »
Yes, the Canadian coverage is much better. It's on CTV, TSN and Sportsnet. All events are covered and with three stations running, entire hockey games are shown. And it doesn't have the syrupy, American Idol type storylines either. One more thing, NBC seems to break for commercials every ten minutes which is really annoying.

pardales

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2010, 06:35 pm »
Yup. Been tuning in. Like it!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2010, 06:56 pm »
Yes, NBC's primetime programming has been surprisingly focused and enjoyable.

edit:  I am a very casual sports viewing and probably wouldn't watch any of these events unless it is Olympics.  I must be in their target primetime audience as presentation to me seems better than last Olympics.

I don't know about that myself. I've watched more commercials on primetime NBC than Olypmic events myself. :roll: Watching the coverage on Spike, CNBC and mnbc is much more event oriented than primetime NBC and these other "satellite" channels seem to cover actual live events w/o all the "fluff". The coverage from these other channels have definitely increased my Olympic experience.

On other subject, the NBC Olypmic website is a complete joke!  :icon_twisted:  I signed up well before the start of the games in hopes of actually seeing live coverage but NBC shows nothing live that isn't already being covered elsewhere or will be chopped up & taped for primetime NBC. Any daytime event like the luge or ski jumping isn't covered so NBC can show exclusive primetime coverage of these events,, what they want you to see that is. I had also signed up to all the alerts thinking that I'd get advanced notice of live coverage, but all that amounted to was being notified of the results after the fact and before NBC's primetime coverage. After 4 days, I got myself disconnected to that bad joke.  :thumbdown:
 I suppose for the average viewer, abbreviated primetime coverage is OK and it is enjoyable to see the USA doing so well this year. But I'd love to see one of these networks or even DirecTv take over coverage where multiple channels could be dedicated to broadcasting actual live coverage of whole events and maybe 1 channel dedicated to primetime coverage of multiple abbeviated taped events. And if you're going to have live internet coverage, then do it! Never hurts to dream.

Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2010, 06:57 pm »
Yes, the Canadian coverage is much better. It's on CTV, TSN and Sportsnet. All events are covered and with three stations running, entire hockey games are shown. And it doesn't have the syrupy, American Idol type storylines either. One more thing, NBC seems to break for commercials every ten minutes which is really annoying.

I couldn't agree more!!! This is exactly what I'm talking about.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2010, 07:17 pm »
I'm glad the skiing coverage has improved.  The men's downhill was a 15 minute joke.  Thankfully, they must have listened to the complaints.  All the other races since have been given respectable time. It's just too bad the delay in the West Coast coverage.  It's just too hard to stay up to midnight, then get up with the alarm at 5:45am.

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2010, 08:53 pm »
I am watching a lot of it, but as I am in Canada I have plenty of options for the programming.  However, living 3 hours east of where it is taking place, means that most daytime viewing is either canned, or boring human interest stories.

Favs so far (other than the first mens and womens gold wins on home soil) are ski jumping, hockey, and the sno cross races.

The US is doing well, and Canada is doing fine for our population size too.

Overall, outside the loss of the Georgian luger, it has been totally enjoyable.

Cool to see some of the less known folks winning too, adds to the excitement.

Looking very much forward to US vs Canada hockey tomorrow.  Should be a barn burner!

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2010, 02:55 am »
Great job by the US hockey team.  Ryan Miller absolutely stood on his head.

Cannot pretend I am happy with the outcome, but have to extend a  :thumb: to the US squad for a great game they played.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2010, 02:59 am »
Hell of a game.

doorman

« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2010, 03:15 am »
Oh well, at least Canada wasn't eliminated!!
Go 'Nucks :D
Don

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2010, 03:28 am »
Oh well, at least Canada wasn't eliminated!!
Go 'Nucks :D
Don

That was 1 hell of an attack that the Canadians laid onto USA in that last 2 minutes. How they didn't score with all those shots on goal only the hockeygawds can answer.  :duh:  Sure wish the game had been shown on mnbc in HD on DirecTv tho, I've gotten spoiled by high definition and there's really no other way to follow the puck than in HD. But a win's a win!  :dance:

Cheers,
Robin

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #15 on: 22 Feb 2010, 04:58 am »
Anyone else find it odd that the ice cleaners were rushed out before the Canadian power plays?
Also, the ice rinks look rather small for an international tournament don't they?
It will be different when Roberto Luoungo is in net for Canada?

jackman

« Reply #16 on: 22 Feb 2010, 05:49 am »
Very enjoyable game.  It looked a LOT like an NHL game, versus a typical Olympic game.  Those guys were hitting each other like crazy!  I enjoyed watching four Hawks on the ice including Kane (the only US Blackhawk player) and Toews.  Kane didn't show up in the boxscore but he played well and Toews had two assists for the Canadian squad.  I'm a USA fan and was pulling for the US to win but that Canadian squad was stacked and I'm surprised we won.  Marty B will take some heat but he played a decent game.  Canada was beat by a hot goaltender, Miller.  I was happy the US won but had mixed feelings because Sid Crosby has been one of my favorite players and it's hard for me to root against the Hawks' captain, Toews. 

The earlier game, Czek/Russia, was pretty good.  Lots of NHL (some former) stars on the ice.  Did anyone see Ovechkin's hit on Jagr?  That guy is a beast and might be the best player in the NHL.  Plus, Ovechkin and Malkin on the same line?  Who said Russia is no longer a superpower?  Those guys are offensive machines.  Also, anyone catch the 40 year old Federov on the ice for the Soviets?  That was cool!  I also liked watching Marty Havlat, Jagr, Malkin (Gino!), and Datsyuk play for their respective teams. 

As an NHL fan, I can't wait for the Olympics to be OVER so we can get back to hockey but I'd be lying if I said I haven't enjoyed the games so far.  Seeing some of these guys play on the same team is very cool.

Cheers,

J

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #17 on: 22 Feb 2010, 06:15 am »
Jackman,

As a Kings fan it was great to see Ziggy Palffy, Josef Stumple, and the Kings' unsung hero Michael Handzus  playing for Slovakia and have also noticed Mattias Norstrom helping to coach the Swedes.

The Swiss team has been a real surprise. They never quit.

Ovies' hit was like a freight train and I am pretty sure that is gonna leave a mark all over Jagr's body.

jackman

« Reply #18 on: 22 Feb 2010, 12:49 pm »
Jackman,

As a Kings fan it was great to see Ziggy Palffy, Josef Stumple, and the Kings' unsung hero Michael Handzus  playing for Slovakia and have also noticed Mattias Norstrom helping to coach the Swedes.

The Swiss team has been a real surprise. They never quit.

Ovies' hit was like a freight train and I am pretty sure that is gonna leave a mark all over Jagr's body.

:thumb:

Hockey has been the highlight of the games so far for me.  Swiss team has played hard and the Slovakia team has been fun to watch. Russia looks tough and Jagr is probably still wondering what hit him.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #19 on: 22 Feb 2010, 12:57 pm »
It looked a LOT like an NHL game, versus a typical Olympic game.  Those guys were hitting each other like crazy!

If anything, the refs let them play more than a typical NHL game :)