NX Studio first impressions

BrandonB

Re: NX Studio first impressions
« Reply #20 on: 18 Oct 2023, 01:30 am »
Scott,

Did I miss you at the show?

BTW, if you are referring to the pair that was in the Dynaco room, those were not fully broken in. I was only able to get about 50 hours on them before the show.

Mike
I was at that show and I just wanted to sit in that room and listen to those speakers for hours.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #21 on: 18 Oct 2023, 02:44 am »
Tyson: You experience mirrors mine.  I've heard a ton of really high end bookshelf sized speakers.  The NX-Studios are the best.

I would agree they would be of a very high level owning a pair of Super Minis, but one obscure and costly monitor is the fabulous is the SA Pandion 2. Shockingly good with real bass. Best in a small room near field for me. I prefer big speakers for bigger rooms.

https://system-audio.com/en/product/sa-pandion-2-2/

If I was going to build a small monitor, it would be the NX Studio as I know how good it must be.

Rocket Ronny

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 18 Oct 2023, 04:54 am »
Tyson: You experience mirrors mine.  I've heard a ton of really high end bookshelf sized speakers.  The NX-Studios are the best.

I would agree they would be of a very high level owning a pair of Super Minis, but one obscure and costly monitor is the fabulous is the SA Pandion 2. Shockingly good with real bass. Best in a small room near field for me. I prefer big speakers for bigger rooms.

https://system-audio.com/en/product/sa-pandion-2-2/

If I was going to build a small monitor, it would be the NX Studio as I know how good it must be.

Rocket Ronny

I agree, the NX-Studio gives up bass power and depth to focus on better midrange purity and clarity.  There are quite a few other bookshelf speakers out there that do stronger/better bass than the Studios.  For my tastes, I would always want to pair the Studios with a pair of OB subs because of that (plus I really love bass!).  Actually, it makes me wonder what Danny will be able to do with that 8 inch NX midbass driver he showed off a while back.  Might make a killer 1 box solution...

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #23 on: 20 Oct 2023, 03:50 am »
I agree, the NX-Studio gives up bass power and depth to focus on better midrange purity and clarity.  There are quite a few other bookshelf speakers out there that do stronger/better bass than the Studios.  For my tastes, I would always want to pair the Studios with a pair of OB subs because of that (plus I really love bass!).  Actually, it makes me wonder what Danny will be able to do with that 8 inch NX midbass driver he showed off a while back.  Might make a killer 1 box solution...

I've expressed interest in an 8" version as well; however, that's based on and only IF the low end extension is well into the mid-low 30Hz range - like what I'm experiencing with my Wilson Duette speakers.  The Duette are spec'd as playing to "36Hz (Boundary Dependent)".  Well, in my room, they are getting that boundary reinforcement and bloooom.  The Duette are very forward sounding and have their issues, but one thing they really do is JAM.  They can play HUGE. And that's why I thought an 8" Studio would be killer (if they could dig deep).

I've been playing with various stuff to figure out what I want, and one thing I've done is turn off the dual SVS SB-16 Ultra subs I've been using with them... and I'm realizing that a speaker that can play to low 30s is very satisfying.  If an 8" NQ driver version of the Studio won't play that low, and will still need subs for anything other than a small room, I'm not sure what would be gained - for me. 

A few other things have occurred to me:

1) Danny spends a lot of time thinking about "what would be cool" - just like we do.  If he does or doesn't go thru the trouble of developing / moving forward on something, there's probably a good reason for it.

2) While looking for feedback about the Otica, Danny shared the speaker with 8" drivers he thought "would be a pretty slick solution".  That was 3 years ago and, hopefully, it's not far off.  I chuckled when I read who he was talking to about it.  If he's spent 3 years wanting to make this speaker...

3) This triple 8" sub driver Otica is mentioned as playing to 25-30Hz, which given what I'm experiencing with my Duette, may be just right.  Do I "need" 20Hz?... well, if I want more, I can just lightly blend in some very low end from the SB16 Ultra (sealed) subs - or not.

So, I still dig an 8" driver, but it could be that the NX-Studio is good and proper just as it is.  I think this triple 8" servo sub Otica is really going to be something to watch.

SRP SRP

« Reply #24 on: 11 Nov 2023, 02:32 am »
That moment when you hear a china cymbal - way off-axis - in a song you’ve listened to dozens of times before…

Being new to the hobby, I wasn’t quite sure what spatial cues were. I think I do now.

These speakers, I’m hooked  :D.

Please don’t tell me: oh yeah, the Otica’s are twice as good

mkrawcz

« Reply #25 on: 11 Nov 2023, 11:37 am »
Please don’t tell me: oh yeah, the Otica’s are twice as good
The Oticas are NOT twice as good…………… :D

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #26 on: 11 Nov 2023, 03:47 pm »
That moment when you hear a china cymbal - way off-axis - in a song you’ve listened to dozens of times before…

Being new to the hobby, I wasn’t quite sure what spatial cues were. I think I do now.

These speakers are great for a lot of things, but honestly I'd put their #1 attribute being their accurate presentation of a drum kit. Tone, attack/decay and 3d placement of soundstage for each element in a drum kit is f&#king unreal. Hearing the difference in position of a snare drum to a hi-hat which are almost right on top of each other is crazy good. Hearing the directional panning as they do a rolling fill across from snare in the low center, then UP and forward to the toms, panning to the drummer's right across the toms, then DOWN, back and to the far right for the floor tom is just crazy good.

The downside of such crazy good soundstaging is that if a drum kit is mic'd from behind (left is drummer left, right is their right) this presenting as reverse of what you'd watch at a concert and it just sounds weird.as a whole. Hearing a drummer staged to the back of the mix but backwards as if they're facing away from you just sounds funky. Reversing the stereo channels in Foobar is easy, but when it happens on vinyl it'll bug you. Growing up watching tons of concerts wanting to replicate that sound is my top level enjoyment. Then again maybe it's expecting too much for a sound engineer to put down the cocaine and focus on the basics of their job :lol:.

SRP SRP

« Reply #27 on: 13 Apr 2024, 03:51 pm »
I just added a pair of double troubles as speaker stands. Incredible low end. End game speaker solution. Kudos to Danny.  Now I understand fast bass!

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #28 on: 13 Apr 2024, 04:30 pm »
I just added a pair of double troubles as speaker stands. Incredible low end. End game speaker solution. Kudos to Danny.  Now I understand fast bass!

How's the tweeter height with that setup?

SRP SRP

« Reply #29 on: 13 Apr 2024, 05:19 pm »
It’s fine for me. The Studios sit about 2” higher than the stands that they were on.

The way these subs load a room is remarkable and the Studios just sound, better…

This is an end-game speaker setup, for me.

Tyson

« Reply #30 on: 13 Apr 2024, 06:20 pm »
NX Studios on top of a pair of OB subs is exceptional.  Gets you about 80% of the way to the full NX Otica experience.

BrandonB

« Reply #31 on: 13 Apr 2024, 10:26 pm »
NX Studios on top of a pair of OB subs is exceptional.  Gets you about 80% of the way to the full NX Otica experience.
What is the output of the Duals, Triples and even Quads compared to enclosed 12 inch woofers? 

Tyson

« Reply #32 on: 13 Apr 2024, 11:17 pm »
I’m a bass head so take that into account when I give my opinion.  For me it’s 2:1.  You need 2 OB woofers for each 1 sealed woofer.  If you want that same kick you in the chest power.