Jump Start?

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Re: Jump Start?
« Reply #60 on: 25 May 2008, 08:45 pm »
I think it was the question about the  noise floor on tube headphone amps. My Rogue Magnum 99 tube pre has a headphone jack but the implementation sucks. It does not  mute the speakers and the volume control works both so you have to turn the amps off to use it.

I have some of that in the garage.  Hmmm...

Open up something (expensive) and slather it own for the "team." It could be the "tweak" of the year! Seriously, what effect on electronics could this stuff have? Would it hurt to dampen the electronics...or at least the case lid? The Altman Dac guy uses a special C37 varnish on Dac chips and claims it works wonders? Here are some links on the subject for and against:

http://www.ennemoser.com/c37theory.html
http://sound.westhost.com/madashell9.htm

You should try and answer ecramer's post as you have a really nice and quiet listening area and have dabbled with those tube buffer deals.

I'm sorry did I miss a question somewhere?

cryoparts

« Reply #61 on: 25 May 2008, 08:45 pm »
Yes, ecramer asked a question a couple pages back about tube rush being audible with tube amps.  He's thinking of getting a Dark Voice.

Lee

Lee
You should try and answer ecramer's post as you have a really nice and quiet listening area and have dabbled with those tube buffer deals.

cryoparts

« Reply #62 on: 25 May 2008, 08:46 pm »
FYI, there is a Radii amp on Head Fi right now for $300, that's a killer deal.

Lee

I think it was the question about the  noise floor on tube headphone amps. My Rogue Magnum 99 tube pre has a headphone jack but the implementation sucks. It does not  mute the speakers and the volume control works both so you have to turn the amps off to use it.

I have some of that in the garage.  Hmmm...

Open up something (expensive) and slather it own for the "team." It could be the "tweak" of the year! Seriously, what effect on electronics could this stuff have? Would it hurt to dampen the electronics...or at least the case lid? The Altman Dac guy uses a special C37 varnish on Dac chips and claims it works wonders? Here are some links on the subject for and against:

http://www.ennemoser.com/c37theory.html
http://sound.westhost.com/madashell9.htm

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #63 on: 25 May 2008, 08:56 pm »
Wow thats a nice setup!!! I didn't realize that the headroom amp was that big. I see you have a North star m192. I snagged one off audiogon Friday  should be here next week. How do you like it?

And i agree, Cryoparts, get out to the garage and paint something inquiring minds want to know  :lol:

Wow those Edition 9's look sweet, Way out of my price range   this week next week might be different   I have not been  hanging around head-fi for quite a while since i started putting money in my two channel  system. now you guys are peeking my interest again

Hey Ed, Thanks. They are wonderful Headphones and I have enjoyed them tremendously. I had Revelation Audio Recable them and they sound even better. Here are a few pictures of my gear if your interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18588687@N05/2091622591/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18588687@N05/2349379057/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18588687@N05/2483646909/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18588687@N05/2350212600/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18588687@N05/2351106108/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18588687@N05/2351162520/in/photostream/

Burlaptocashmer

« Reply #64 on: 25 May 2008, 09:14 pm »
Sorry Ed, missed that one. Well, my headphone amp is SS not tubes. I am using the Headroom Home Max SE. For a bit of tube warmth I added the Audio Horizon TP5.0(n) Tube buffer. It runs on two 6922's. This buffer is dead quiet and runs cold so no heat in my system. I think with the buffer and the SS amp I have the best of both worlds: Detail, air, instrumental imaging, bass extension, warmth across mids and highs. However, there are some amazing tube headphone amps out there. Of course, headfi is a great place to read up on all the current offerings. Price range varies from very affordable to crazy expensive like everything else related to this hobby,ha.

After Camjam 08 is appears that the new TOP of class tube (FOTM) offerings are the TTVJ/Millett 307A for dynamic headphones
http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1193&zenid=30fe56f44ab2d2b439707d6204d75f8c

and the Head Amp "Blue Hawaii" for Electrostatic Headphones:
http://www.headamp.com/electrostat_amps/kgbh/index.htm

Burlaptocashmer

« Reply #65 on: 25 May 2008, 09:17 pm »
I see you have a North star m192. I snagged one off audiogon Friday  should be here next week. How do you like it?

Ed, very cool! Your going to love the M192. I compare it against my old Benchmark Dac 1 and the Headroom Max Dac and the M192 smokes them both. You have nice detail but smooth mids and FAT bass. I just love this dac. Let me know what you think?

cryoparts

« Reply #66 on: 25 May 2008, 09:23 pm »
One of the guys who posted earlier in this thread has one of the Woo Audio amps in house right now, he would be good to ask about the noise level as it seems to be a very well designed amp.

Lee 

cryoparts

« Reply #67 on: 25 May 2008, 09:25 pm »
I love the power cord lifter/support! 

Nice!

Lee

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #68 on: 25 May 2008, 10:01 pm »
And just what is that holding up the cord? do they still make hair curlers. My brother laughs at my speaker cables as they are at least a big around as a quarter and 4' to long and i keep them curled up like a snake  behind each speaker. been thinking about mounting some kinda hanger on the wall to get them off the floor. 

Nice!

Lee

Burlaptocashmer

« Reply #69 on: 25 May 2008, 10:16 pm »

These are the hottest things out there and cost hundreds of dollars EACH! They are hand crafted from the finest Brazilian hardwoods and then coated in a nano polymer solution designed to attenuate harmonic frequency distortions common in electrical power cord energy transfers. The guys that make these fly in to measure the exact height requirements for your cables using an atomic level and ultrasound meassratron!  Haaaaa...

Taking a page from my "Copper Brillo pads make great equipment dampening feet," I made these "cable lifters" out of wooden spool type thingies and glue gunned them together. They work great and the natural groove is perfect for securing my cables.

Huck

« Reply #70 on: 25 May 2008, 11:03 pm »
One of the guys who posted earlier in this thread has one of the Woo Audio amps in house right now, he would be good to ask about the noise level as it seems to be a very well designed amp.

Lee 

Hi: I am not the guy, but I have a Woo Audio WA6 with all the mods, except the Dact and this thing (WA6) is dead quiet!! Huck

cryoparts

« Reply #71 on: 25 May 2008, 11:19 pm »
:lol:

Lee

These are the hottest things out there and cost hundreds of dollars EACH! They are hand crafted from the finest Brazilian hardwoods and then coated in a nano polymer solution designed to attenuate harmonic frequency distortions common in electrical power cord energy transfers. The guys that make these fly in to measure the exact height requirements for your cables using an atomic level and ultrasound meassratron!  Haaaaa...

cryoparts

« Reply #72 on: 25 May 2008, 11:21 pm »
With the Blackgate's and the V-Caps?  What cans are you using with it?

Lee 

Lee 

Hi: I am not the guy, but I have a Woo Audio WA6 with all the mods, except the Dact and this thing (WA6) is dead quiet!! Huck

Huck

« Reply #73 on: 25 May 2008, 11:39 pm »

Lee 

Lee 

Yep! Blackgates and V-Caps. Using Senn HD-600's(300 ohm) and Equation Audio RP-21's(32ohm) . Huck

Burlaptocashmer

« Reply #74 on: 26 May 2008, 12:04 am »
Great amp Huck! Their WA5-LE with those big daddy 300B's looks killer too! Man, they make some great looking stuff that is priced nicely too considering it is all hand built in the USA, or at least it appears to be?  I'm not too sure though how practical those 300B's might be in the little study I have in Texas? Don't they run pretty hot?

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #75 on: 26 May 2008, 12:10 am »
I must agree that the woo audio are some sweat looking amps for the money.

ED 

Huck

« Reply #76 on: 26 May 2008, 12:37 am »
Great amp Huck! Their WA5-LE with those big daddy 300B's looks killer too! Man, they make some great looking stuff that is priced nicely too considering it is all hand built in the USA, or at least it appears to be?  I'm not too sure though how practical those 300B's might be in the little study I have in Texas? Don't they run pretty hot?

Hi; The woo6 uses one 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier and two 6DE7 tubes. Huck

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #77 on: 26 May 2008, 12:57 am »
Have you ever had the chance to compare the Stock Woo to your upgraded amp. i would be interested in how much difference there is.

Lee 

Lee 

Yep! Blackgates and V-Caps. Using Senn HD-600's(300 ohm) and Equation Audio RP-21's(32ohm) . Huck

Huck

« Reply #78 on: 26 May 2008, 01:30 am »
Have you ever had the chance to compare the Stock Woo to your upgraded amp. i would be interested in how much difference there is.

Lee 

Lee 

Sorry! I bought the maxxed out 6 right from the start, so I can't give you a comparison to the stock 6! Huck

cryoparts

« Reply #79 on: 26 May 2008, 01:36 am »
Nice.  I've heard that the Woo's have great synergy with the 600's. 

I've talked with the owner (Jack...maybe) and he stated that they do build the amps to order, in the good 'ol US of A.  Pretty remarkable pricing, methinks.

Lee