I've got to stop reading head-fi!!!!

randytsuch

« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2006, 06:57 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71
By the way, contact TTVJ and ask him to match B & H's $280 price for the AKG 701.  I've not heard the Beyer DT880's, but the AKG 701 is really good to my ears, so you may be able to flip and add a little cash to try out the new king of the headphone mountain (at least for the moment).

Michael

Hi Michael
Thanks for  the advice, but I am about to buy a few other things, so no cash for new cans at the moment.  But, maybe I will sell my 880's, and think about it  :wink: .
Presently, I am using my AKG 1000's almost all the time at home, they really suit my musical tastes and my listening preferences.

Randy

djbnh

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2006, 01:11 pm »
mcrespo71 - Thanks for the log on your adventures in Head-Fi! I'm trying to resist picking up the AKG 701 cans, but not sure if I can hold out (I own a pair of Grado 325i, and they rock out extremely well). I've been noting some of your posts since you came over to that forum, and was pretty sure your wallet would soon be going on the Head-Fi diet.  :lol:

FYI - I've owned a pair of the Headphile comfy C-pads (Betas, unported) for a while, and they definintely change the character of the sound. It's interesting to get a relatively different sounding phone by just changing the pads...pm me if you'd like to try them sometime, and we'll see what we can do. The things about the C-pads I don't like are that I have to fully retract the earcup swivel extentions, and adjust the headband, so the headphones are positioned properly. Some Head-Fi members purchased a Beyer headband as a nice workaround to this, but I haven't gone that route - yet.

mcrespo71

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2006, 05:01 pm »
Quote from: djbnh
mcrespo71 - Thanks for the log on your adventures in Head-Fi! I'm trying to resist picking up the AKG 701 cans, but not sure if I can hold out (I own a pair of Grado 325i, and they rock out extremely well). I've been noting some of your posts since you came over to that forum, and was pretty sure your wallet would soon be going on the Head-Fi diet.  :lol:

FYI - I've owned a pair of the Headphile comfy C-pads (Betas, unported) for a while, and they definintely change the character of the sound. It's inter ...

Yep, I gave into the head-fi craziness!!!  The Grado's are just awesome- a little uncomfortable, but I can handle it.  I have a pair of Todd flats and the regular bowls, which is what I normally use reversed- more uncomfortable, but better sound.  I've been eyeing the comfy pads, but I wanted to get my next pair of more refined cans (i.e., the AKG 701) before I got the headphile comfy pads.  Regardless, the Grado's are so darn addictive to listen to and it's nice you can alter the character with different pads.  Todd's flats really tame the highs and increase the bass if that's the sound you are looking for.  When I spend more time with the AKG 701, perhaps we can do a switch for a couple weeks- the comfy pads for the 701?  At least head-fi turned me on to good deals on different cans- those people are hawks on prices.

As for any more upgrades, I hope not too soon.  As many say, your wallet suffers, but I'm having fun.  I live in a NYC apartment, so it's nice to be able to keep rocking on through the night via cans.  Many head-fiers don't think my amp is up to the task of driving my cans, but it sounds quite good to me and usually these people are running their cans out of a laptop, so all I have to say is- "source first" to them.  My sources are definitley not wanting in comparison and my Rega Ear makes good music like all Rega products, but people like to diss it anyway.  The best amp I'd get is a Gilmore Lite- I don't want to go over $300 on any of my expenditures.  :).

DJBNH- BTW, don't sell your Grado's to fund the AKG 701.  They complement each other well and nothing RAWKS OUT like a Grado- at least that I've heard.  The Beyer DT990 is close, but not quite.

Thanks,
Michael