Music Fidelity X-CAN mods...

LFE

« on: 20 Aug 2005, 08:45 pm »
Any one out there have one of these that they have modified? I am thinking of taking my stock X-CAN and adding some tweaks, upgraded caps, volume control, RCA's, etc. Anyone else have ideas?

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2005, 09:50 pm »
LFE,

I've modified both a v1 and v2 X-Cans and both were improved (IMO) by the mods. Pretty standard stuff like HexFred diodes, some better power supply caps and using Black Gate NX for the coupling caps. One of them had an op amp (v1?) and I was able to replace it with an OP2604 (I think). It all added up to a nice improvement.

Tyson has the v1 amp I modded. Perhaps he'll post his thoughts if he sees this thread.

Another thought. You might consider wiring up the volume control in shunt mode using somethng like a Dale-Vishay RN series resistor. That would keep the stock foot print and remove the pot from the signal path.

Mike

LFE

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2005, 03:09 am »
Hmmm, thinks for the tips, how do you know what version you have? :?:

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2005, 12:06 pm »
I changed the caps in an xcanv2 awhile ago per the Grotto site.  Quite pleased with the results, but the most noticeable improvement was going to a matched pair of nos Mullard E88CC's.  Son has that unit now as I currently have a GSP Solo.  Vowed never to open the Xcan again, truly a pita IMHO, must be getting old!  :)

LFE

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2005, 02:36 pm »
Another thought. You might consider wiring up the volume control in shunt mode using somethng like a Dale-Vishay RN series resistor. That would keep the stock foot print and remove the pot from the signal path.

How would I wire it in Shunt Mode? I am unfamiliar with that. How do you control the volume?

LFE

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2005, 02:38 pm »
I changed the caps in an xcanv2 awhile ago per the Grotto site

What is the url of the Groto site?

Thanks.

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2005, 02:47 pm »
Quote from: LFE
I changed the caps in an xcanv2 awhile ago per the Grotto site

What is the url of the Groto site?

Thanks.

http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/xcanpropage.htm#

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2005, 03:15 pm »
Hmmm, thinks for the tips, how do you know what version you have? :?:

The v2 versions have a little "v2" after the X-CAN logo on the front.

Mike

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2005, 03:25 pm »
How would I wire it in Shunt Mode? I am unfamiliar with that. How do you control the volume?

Basically wiring a volume control in shunt mode involves passing the signal through a single resistor and using the volume control to shunt the signal to ground. It works the same way a normaly wired volume control does (as a voltage divider) except the signal doesn't have to pass through the wiper. This usually reduces the noise slightly and generally provides a cleaner signal path.

The downside is that the input impedance will vary with the position of the volume control but this usually doesn't present a problem, especially to CD sources which have a very low output impedance.

VoltSecond's Foreplay page has a good diagram and explanation. It would be a little tricky with the X-CANs as you would have to cut traces or at least bridge one of them. Not hard, just exercise care and all should be well. Of course you will need to trace the paths and or do some measuring to be sure you get the right leads. :)

VoltSeconds page: http://www.siteswithstyle.com/voltsecond/12_posistion_shunt/12_Position_Pure_Shunt.html

Mike

LFE

« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2005, 06:30 pm »
the grotto site has some good tips. I think i am going to start off by replacing all of the caps. From there i think i want to look at a new volume pot and 1/4 jack (one from neutrik). Any thoughts on the power supply? I am thinking of picking up the MF PSU for the X-Can... but is it worth it? any thoughts?

mgalusha

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2005, 10:00 pm »
The beefier power supply does make a nice improvement. That said, it's just a hefty toroid in a pretty case. You could get a nice EI core transformer (which will pass less HF noise) and put it into a box for very little money. I believe all you need is 12VAC at like 3 or 4 amps. The wall wart is 12V/1A I believe.

mike

LFE

« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2005, 04:59 am »
That and the connector. I was thinking of also modding the power connector....

LFE

« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2005, 10:26 pm »
Ok, here is the list of caps i ordered for the x-can:

Blackgate - 1000 uf/ 50V, 10 uf/ 100V, 100 uf/ 50V

Nichicon - 2200 uf/ 50V

i think i will leave the volume pot and 1/4 inch alone for now. but i will be looking into the power supply. I think i would rather build one than buy one.