Comfortable, all-day listening headphones for iPod

jackman

« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2005, 10:58 pm »
Quote from: Andrikos
Let me recommend the Sony MDR-EX71.  The were recommended to me in this thread ( http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=13235 ) by Jackman.
I bought them from Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000092YQW/qid=1096472489/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-2841786-2224948?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846 )
for the measly sum of $31. Great buy! Their bass is very surprising and they  isolate like a mother (perhaps TOO much ;) ).
Highly recommended.

Hey, someone took my advice! I believe they are now available in white but I'd avoid the white because it always winds up looking grungy after a short time.  I travel a lot and love the little Sony phones.  They are inexpensive, fit comfortably and sound very good for the $$$.  They may not compete with some of the high $$$ phones but they sound good enough for my iPod and fit well.  It's good to hear that I'm not the only one who has this opinion.

Brad

« Reply #21 on: 11 Aug 2005, 07:39 pm »
I just got an iPod shuffle and was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds with the stock earbuds.

I think I'm leaning towards the Etymotic ER-6i as replacements.
Using 128kpbs AAC, I think this will make for a good mobile listening environment.

Found them for $85 plus 9 shipping on *bay.

dogberry

« Reply #22 on: 11 Aug 2005, 07:46 pm »
I really like the Sennheiser PMX60 neckband headphones.  I bought them from Amazon for $22 and they're great.  Very comfortable and have nice range.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009LI55/qid=1123789531/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-4658449-6224901?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846

randog

« Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2005, 06:00 pm »
I thought I'd resurrect this thread.  8)

I recently got ear molds made locally and am going to splurge for some canal phones. I'd probably go for the ones Tyson recommends except they are a bit too steep in $. These will be for my iPod and should be great for use on my motorcycle. In fact, I'm banking that they might just be the best 'plugs' I'll ever have even with the cords unplugged. I'm leaning towards Ultimate Ear UE-5c at $550. Anyone have any experiences here?

Thanks, Randy

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #24 on: 30 Nov 2005, 08:30 pm »
Yes, I had ear molds made for my Etymotic Reseach ER4s. Apart from being uncomfortable and less convenient in that they were slower to put in and take out, which I need to do often when recording, I didn't think the bass sounded as good as with the stock flanged fittings, and nowhere near as good as the stock foam ones. These earmolds weren't cheap or convenient to have made. I had to write the whole exercise off as a waste of time and money. Later when I mentioned this experience to the guys at Etymotic, they said they had the same experience and didn't know why people were bothering with molds. Wish I had talked to them first!

randog

« Reply #25 on: 30 Nov 2005, 09:02 pm »
Interesting. In doing a lot of searching and researching on the web, this is the first I've heard of this. Comfort is supposed to be much better with the custom fit molds, as is audio quality. Check out this film clip:
http://www.ultimateears.com/Videos/tech299.wmv

Now, could it be that your issues were because the earphones you used aren't designed specifically to be used as canalphones? Also, I wouldn't expect Etymotic to have much of a positive spin on it since they aren't a custom earphone maker in the same vain as Ultimate Ear and Sensaphonics.

Tyson, care to pipe in on this if you're out there?

Oh well, regardless, I have them on order. I guess I'll be my own guinea pig on this one. I damn sure hope I don't come up to the same conclusion after forking out $600!  :o

Randy

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #26 on: 30 Nov 2005, 09:27 pm »
I wouldn't have gone to the trouble, either, if this hadn't been strongly recommended by someone or two at Stereophile. The tone of the recommendation, I seem to recall, was "of course if you really want the ultimate in bass you have to do this, otherwise you'll never hear what these earphones are truly capable of".
In retrospect, the seal was no better and I got the feeling the actual transducer was not as optimally placed in terms of the acoustic path from it to my eardrum. I think the flanged version brings the thing slightly closer to your eardrum. There was also more extraneous noise with the mold - not external, but noise created by movement of the mold against the skin of your ear. Remember, the mold contacts more of your ear.
Bottom line - I, for one would never do this again unless it was specifically recommended as a distinct improvement by the people that designed it. It's also worth noting that Etymotic has been at this a relatively long time and do serious fundamental research relating to hearing and hearing aids, and, by the way make the best sound attenuators I know of - specifically designed for musicians like viola players sitting in front of trombones - cuts the level without changing the tonal character of the sound. check 'em out: http://www.etymotic.com/

Hope you don't have the same experience I did.

mpauly

« Reply #27 on: 30 Nov 2005, 09:51 pm »
Custom molded earplugs are greatly dependant on the one doing the impression, the materials used and the shape of your ear canal.  I had a set of custom molded plugs made by a reputable dealer for motorcycle use and they definitely were not for me.  They were less comfortable than my standard foam plugs, and because they were less pliable, as my head moved around the seal against my ear would be compromised and external noise would get past.  However, since they did not need to expand like foam plugs, they were quicker to insert.

Later I decided I wanted music while riding and with my experience with just the plugs (no monitor) I decided not to spend the cash on custom molded in ear monitors.  I compromised and tried the etymotic 6i.  They are very comfortable, easy to insert and as earplugs, they isolate noise even better than foam plugs (I've tried many brands).  From a sonic viewpoint, the sound is less than impressive.  The standard ipod earbuds sound better to me with a much fuller sound, better bass extention and punch, but were're talking about a motorcycle here, didn't need audiophile quality sound.....so they work for me.  That said, I don't use them off the bike.

randog

« Reply #28 on: 30 Nov 2005, 10:10 pm »
Thanks for the responses guys! GAWD, I hope I love these things. I hate spending that kind of money on something that has NO resale value.

I've read lots of great things about Ultimate Ears customer service and you bet your ass I'll send these things back over and over again if the fit isn't perfect. If that seal breaks, they are going back.

The ear impressions were pretty uncomfortable for me. I guess I have sensitive eardrums and the plugs were right up against them. I also had a bite block and waited 10 or 15 minutes while my right ear was right on the edge of major pain. Wouldn't you know it the audiologist wasn't happy with that impression and did it again! Then just yesterday my puppy jumped on me while I had a Q-tip in my ear and I jammed it into my eardrum while turning to scold him. Yeowch!  :cry:

My disappointment with foam plugs when riding is the main reason that sent me over the edge to try this... I never get a real good seal with the foam plugs.

I tried wearing the buds with my 3/4 helmet and my half helmet. With the shorty, I got a whole block before yanking them. It was a joke. The 3/4 I lived with on a long ride but really didn't care for it. Besides with the volume I needed to push it to get over the background noise, I knew it would be ear damaging in the long run.

randog

« Reply #29 on: 30 Nov 2005, 10:16 pm »
On another note, I'm on my 2nd iPod and one earbud that came with both iPods sounded like a blown driver. I hate to return a whole iPod because of shitty earbuds, but that just sucks, IMO. Other than being blown, they sound quite listenable (I should say they would be quite listenable IF they weren't blown). I tried seeing if it was a connection issue, but couldn't better it. Anyone else with similar Apple earbud issues?

Brad

« Reply #30 on: 1 Dec 2005, 02:33 pm »
I like the sound of the stock earbuds, but I guess I have a funky-shaped ear, because I can't get them to stay in and fit comfortably.

gary

« Reply #31 on: 21 Dec 2005, 02:18 pm »
I've got the ultimate ears studio.fi earbuds that sell for $99 at guitar center. They're comfortable enough to use for the duration of a transatlantic flight, they really drop background noise substantially, and they sound great. I guess they're a little bass shy, but for $99 you can only expect so much... these things are a steal for that price. I can only imagine how good their custom 10's sound, eventually I hope to upgrade to them.

Gary

elcaptain88

« Reply #32 on: 21 Dec 2005, 02:31 pm »
If open headphones work its tough to beat Sennheiser PX100's for the price - very comfortable & much better sounding than the apple ear buds.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #33 on: 21 Dec 2005, 03:29 pm »
Quote from: elcaptain88
If open headphones work its tough to beat Sennheiser PX100's for the price - very comfortable & much better sounding than the apple ear buds.

Agree.  I bought these for each of my kids, and one pair for me, last Christmas.  I own several sets of  phones (Ety ER4s's, Senn 580's, etc.) and just love the sound of these with the iPod, value-wise.  They sell for $39.99 at J&R (just bought a pair for my nephew for Xmas).  eCost sells for same, but they are on my sh&*list cuz they waited until this Monday to tell me they were backordered.  J&R shipped them same day.

Headphone.com (Headroom's website) is a great source of info.  Click on headphones and they'll give you a short synopsis on each one and a value rating.

mcrespo71

« Reply #34 on: 15 Jan 2006, 07:11 pm »
The Koss KSC-75 is a killer for the price and can easily fit under helmets, etc.  It's like $13 and stupid good.  A must have for portables!!!

Michael

randog

« Reply #35 on: 17 Jan 2006, 11:18 pm »
I wanted to follow up on this. I've had the Ultimate Ear UE-5c canalphones for a month or so now and I am very happy with them. They truly fit wonderfully once I figured out how to get them in and they are very comfortable. They sound great and it was a strange sensation at first but one that I've grown to like a lot. Picture your ears feeling completely plugged except for the fact that music is getting through cleanly... very cool.

Randy

headphonejunkie

« Reply #36 on: 19 Mar 2006, 03:45 pm »
I would go with the px100's. I use them all day and theye are quite comfortable. I am also using them with an amp and they can deliver great bass. After using these my grado sr-80's are sounding too high in the trebles.

randog

« Reply #37 on: 20 Mar 2006, 04:47 pm »
I went motorcycle riding yesterday with the Ue-5c under my 3/4 helmet. It was great! Even without the music, they are the best earplugs I've ridden with. With the music, it comes through crystal clear and does a great job of keeping outside interferences to a minimum. I also previously tried it with a 1/2 shell and although better than anything else I'd tried up to that point, the wind noise tends to make the bass disappear.