Velodyne SMS-1

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Velodyne SMS-1
« on: 8 Sep 2009, 01:52 am »
Kevin,

Do you notice or have you been told that the Velodyne SMS-1 is easy to clip by overloading the input? This is what Tony Gee is saying in his writeup here. I'm just curious to see if it is true.

Best,
Anand.

Kevin Haskins

Re: Velodyne SMS-1
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2009, 02:25 am »
Kevin,

Do you notice or have you been told that the Velodyne SMS-1 is easy to clip by overloading the input? This is what Tony Gee is saying in his writeup here. I'm just curious to see if it is true.

Best,
Anand.

Any device can clip if driven wrong.   The reason it is a bigger issue with the SMS-1, is that there is an absolutely huge range of output voltages from the industries receivers.   Also, with subs, people often don't notice they are clipping the input of the SMS-1 because it isn't as audible as it is from a full-range speaker.    They can happily go on using it while clipping the input stage until they decide to do a distortion measurement.     

The solution is pretty simple.   Turn down the input voltage driving the SMS-1 to the minimum you can get by with and use the gain of the SMS-1 rather than gain upstream.   That way you won't clip the input stage which is the issue.    You could blame Velodyne for not making it idiot proof but there is really only so much you can do to idiot proof a device.    The issue is mainly one of standards.   The consumer audio industry doesn't have good standards for the range of output voltages for HT receivers.    That creates problems anytime your trying to design equipment that interfaces with equipment from other companies. 

It is what it is though.  The secret to success is to use as little output voltage as possible from your HT processor.       

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2009, 03:06 am »
Oh.... I've never had any problem with it in testing.   I did a quick distortion test on one them I had about 8-months ago and THD < 1%.    I ran it off the output of my Pioneer receiver without any problem.   Had to turn it down as outlined above but no problems with the Firmware version that was shipping 8-months ago.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2009, 09:21 pm »
Kevin,

The secret to success is to use as little output voltage as possible from your HT processor. 

Got it. Seems very logical.

Thanks,

Anand.

P.S. Reason I ask is because I was wondering about configuring your Maelstrom-X in a ~ 8 cubic foot (24-26 inch cube) sealed enclosure with a SMS-1 to take care of frequencies from 15 Hz to 50 Hz.