Anyone own/driven a Mazda 3s?

drphoto

Anyone own/driven a Mazda 3s?
« on: 11 Feb 2007, 03:21 pm »
I'm looking for a fun to drive, yet affordable car w/ decent milage. All the car magazines rave about the Mazda 3. They say the performance is excellent and the build quality belies the low price. Anyone here agree? Or have other suggestions?

Don't tell me to get a BMW 3 series. My girlfriend has an 05 325 ragtop, and I think it's overall one of the finest cars made. The balance between sports car handling and comfortable ride is hard to believe. But even if someone gave me one, I couldn't afford the insurance/maintanence/etc.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2007, 03:48 pm by drphoto »

aerius

Re: Anyone own/driven a Mazda 3s?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2007, 04:43 pm »
One of my friends works for Mazda so I've had the chance to sit in and drive a bunch of their cars.  However, I don't have any experience with similar cars from other manufacturers so I can't really compare things or suggest alternatives.

In short, the Mazda 3 is as good as the car magazines say, the interior fit & finish is quite nice and the seats don't hurt my butt or back.  Leg space is lacking in the back seats but I'm used to mid & full size family sedans where I can stretch out in the back.  If someone over 5'7" or so is sitting in the front, you don't want to be in the back seat of a Mazda 3.

Definitely a nice car, but not for me since I need something bigger and don't care that much about sportiness & handling.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2007, 05:12 pm »
The only problem with the car reviews is they don't take into account long term reliability or cost of ownership.  I know a bunch of people who have owned Mazdas over the years. Historically the fit and finish has not been on par with Honda and Toyota, repair parts have been more expensive, dealers are few and far between, and the cars tend to depreciate heavily quickly. On the other hand some of them were still driving their Mazdas at 175K miles.

Check out Intellichoice for cost of ownership of various makes and models.

For my money I'd still go with a Honda Civic/Accord or Toyota Corolla/Camry although the new Toyotas feel a look less substantial than the Toyotas of yore. Can't speak to the Hondas. I have been in the newer cars.

If you a looking for a hatchback/wagon style vehicle check out the new Rabbit. But be forewarned while VWs are fun to drive they are in the pits in terms of reliability.

jasonc

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2007, 06:47 pm »
My co-worker owns a Mazda 3 and he's absolutely in love with it.  He's had it for a year and he's considering turning it it for a loaded model, he currently has the base trim model.
I actually own the Mazda 6, I considered the 3 but I'm 6'2" and wanted something a little roomier plus I'm just use to sedans, my two previous cars were a Mazda 929 and a Mitsubishi Diamante. 
The 6 and 3 are basically the same car, they handle virtually the same but the 3 has the edge in torque because it's lighter.  Under the hood they are the same.
I love my car also, great gas milage, comfortable seats, it's fun to drive and it looks great. I have the Redfire Metallic finish that I really dig even though I'm not really a fan of "red" cars.  I think Mazda hit a home run with the suspension of the 3 and 6.. it's tight but soft over bumps and I've never, even though I've tried, lost control on tight turns even at higher speeds, you really do feel glued to the road which I've never had in a car. 
If you get one of these cars I highly recommend getting the allow wheels.  Not only do the look great but they make a great handling car handle even better.   
I did a lot of research before getting my 6 in August 06, I considered both the Civic and the Accord and I'm very happy I ended up with the Mazda, it's the real deal.
By the way, I already have 21K on my 6, I'm on the road a lot for work averaging 700-1k a week and she still purrs 8).

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2007, 08:54 pm »
jasonc, how did you like the Mitsu? Seems like because they're not as well know as Honda/Toyota they can be had cheap on the used market. I really like the new Subaru Legacy sedans, but man they are pricey.

Yes the Accord and Camry are great cars, but they seem a little dull. I'm hoping for something that as much fun to flog in the twistys as my friends 325 yet on a limited budget.

On the less than practical side, I've considered getting a worn out Miata and rebuilding it into a street legal race car.

drphoto

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2007, 09:10 pm »
whayda guys think of the Saab 9-2? A Subaru WRX in a suit. I was doing 80 or so on the 101 when one blew by me like I was standing still.

jon_010101

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2007, 09:19 pm »
My father bought a Mazda3S last year, and it really has me impressed.  I think the quality of construction feels better than my Subaru WRX (and the Mazda handles better on smooth roads).  The only small cars that do have somewhat better quality materials (particularly interior) are the Rabbit and Civic, but neither is as fun to drive (unless you get a GTI or Civic Si -- and you could easily get a Mazdaspeed3 for the same $$$ as either).  I also own an '88 Mazda 626 Turbo -- with 196k miles -- and it's still going strong.  Mazda's from the late-90's early-00's got pretty bad, however, but the new 6 and 3 are quite nice.  

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, although I might try to snag a well-equipped '05 at a slight discount over new.

jon_010101

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2007, 09:26 pm »
whayda guys think of the Saab 9-2? A Subaru WRX in a suit. I was doing 80 or so on the 101 when one blew by me like I was standing still.

Ha, the "WRX" I refer to in my post is really a 9-2X Aero :)  A great bargain since nobody paid MSRP (you can get an '05 Aero used for ~$17k with some nice options).  And especially worthwhile if you live in a place that gets snow.  I enjoy mine, and probably wouldn't trade it for a Mazda3S (but would consider for a 'speed3).  It took me some time to get used to the Subaru "quirks" before I fully appreciated it.  Heavy clutch, heavy transmission, turbo lag, suspension designed for bumps rather than smooth-road tracking.  A lotta fun overall (fast, tons of grip, handles bumpy back roads like nothing else I've driven), but not refined like a Mazda or VW -- on the whole, a very different driving experience.  The impreza interior is a bit dated, and the doors feel thin, but the chassis is remarkably stiff.  Gold safety rating too.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2007, 12:25 am by jon_010101 »

Carlman

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2007, 09:32 pm »
The Mazda3 isn't a bad car.  I owned its predecessor, the Protege, specifically the Mazdaspeed.  If you can find a Mazda3'speed used, you will get a great car at a great price.  I've also owned 2 Miata's prior to that car... and they all depreciate surprisingly fast. 

The 22,k sticker means 15,k next year MAX.  I got killed on every Mazda I ever bought.  Their dealerships left me with a bad taste in my mouth also.  However VW is a pretty bad as well.  (I took care of my wife's Jetta for a while... it'll be a LONG time before I buy another VW.)

Anyway, I'd recommend an Acura RSX for what you describe.  There's nothing to get used to, they're great driving cars, very good mileage, retain value, and have one of the best dealer networks you'll find.

-C

jon_010101

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2007, 10:42 pm »
Anyway, I'd recommend an Acura RSX for what you describe.  There's nothing to get used to, they're great driving cars, very good mileage, retain value, and have one of the best dealer networks you'll find.

Well, I hate to be totally disagreeable (play some devil's advocate :evil:), but this is one car in that class that I wouldn't choose.  High insurance rates, less practical with 2 fewer doors, not a lot of torque, relatively old chassis.  And I'm not sure I could ever used get used to revving past 7k all the time to find the power peak (same applies to the Civic Si).  Good gas mileage and nice handling, but I'd probably consider a used Mazda3S for a daily driver, which would solve the depreciation concerns (which aren't nearly as bad as the 6, due to the fact that the 3 hasn't been discounted much by Mazda). 

:peek:

Picking cars can be pretty subjective - I'd say a test drive is always needed to make a good assessment.  :thumb:

aerius

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2007, 11:34 pm »
Well, I hate to be totally disagreeable (play some devil's advocate :evil:), but this is one car in that class that I wouldn't choose.  High insurance rates, less practical with 2 fewer doors, not a lot of torque, relatively old chassis.  And I'm not sure I could ever used get used to revving past 7k all the time to find the power peak (same applies to the Civic Si). 

I'm in agreement with you here, the RSX would be great as a second car, as an everyday driver I'd get sick of it pretty fast.  My friend had a Mazda RX8 which is similar to the RSX in that you have to rev the crap out of it to find any power, and if he owned the car instead of it being a loaner from Mazda he would've been raped by the insurance company.  Great for summer weekend fun, sucks for commuting, especially when the weather ain't good.

With regards to depreciation, I personally don't think it's an issue unless one plans on selling the car within a few years.  If you're buying for the long haul pretty much every car is going to be next to worthless by the time you dump it, a new set of tires will probably be worth more than the car itself.

drphoto

« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2007, 03:43 am »
Ok sounds like I need to test drive the RSX, the 9-2 along w/ the Mazda3. Any others? I really like the Acura TSX (Euro Accord) but it's pricey. What ever it is...I'm buying used. No offense to anyone, but I think new cars are a rip.

I'd love to try a Honda S2000. I still have my crappy Isuzu Trooper to haul around work junk.

jon_010101

« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2007, 03:56 am »
Ok sounds like I need to test drive the RSX, the 9-2 along w/ the Mazda3. Any others? I really like the Acura TSX (Euro Accord) but it's pricey. What ever it is...I'm buying used. No offense to anyone, but I think new cars are a rip.

I'd love to try a Honda S2000. I still have my crappy Isuzu Trooper to haul around work junk.

Although it's a new car, I'd still test drive a new Rabbit 2-door.  For $16,030 including alloy wheels, it's in the same price range as the rest.  Not as sporty as a Mazda3, somewhat gas-thirsty (5 cylinder engine), but very luxo and solid.

Another consideration is a used 2005+ Legacy 2.5i -- very nice car if you don't mind knowing that the turbo GT model is way faster.  Of course, same goes for 9-2X Linear (Impreza 2.5) vs. 9-2X Aero (WRX).  If you drive the turbo version of any Subaru, you may have a hard time getting excited about a non-turbo  :icon_twisted:

Carlman

« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2007, 04:21 am »

Is a Mini Cooper an option?  I have found them solid and fun to drive.... just a bit small.  But the size didn't seem like a big concern to you.  The TSX is indeed a nice car, with a comfortable back seat.  I have a friend with one and I've driven and ridden in it many times.  If you get one, ask if they've had any AC problems... they have a known issue with busted compressors... otherwise you're good to go.

BTW, I didn't have a problem with the RSX's power band but I wasn't drag racing it, either. ;) 

-C

jon_010101

« Reply #14 on: 12 Feb 2007, 04:34 am »
BTW, I didn't have a problem with the RSX's power band but I wasn't drag racing it, either. ;) 

I don't know why I didn't think of this other option: the V6 Accord sedan/coupe.  Total sleeper, so much so that it never crossed my mind :)  I've never driven one, but I can't imagine that they would totally suck -- maybe the suspension is a bit wimpy?   :scratch:

Levi

« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2007, 04:38 am »
Nice sporty interior.  Zoom zoom zoom.

Levi

« Reply #16 on: 12 Feb 2007, 04:43 am »
Hi All,

Not actually a coupe but yes I must agree.  Compared to Camry, Accord's suspension is on the sporty side.  They are double wishbone suspension in all fours but had to modify mine.  Now it is transformed daily driver!

I don't know why I didn't think of this other option: the V6 Accord sedan/coupe.  Total sleeper, so much so that it never crossed my mind :)  I've never driven one, but I can't imagine that they would totally suck -- maybe the suspension is a bit wimpy?   :scratch:

jon_010101

« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb 2007, 04:50 am »

mikef

« Reply #18 on: 12 Feb 2007, 11:29 pm »
Hi All,

Not actually a coupe but yes I must agree.  Compared to Camry, Accord's suspension is on the sporty side.  They are double wishbone suspension in all fours but had to modify mine.  Now it is transformed daily driver!

Levi,

What did you do to the suspension of your Accord? I have a 2005, and am curious - I went from driving BMWs (which depreciate pretty quickly, and are muco expensive to fix out of warranty) to my Accord, and I'd like to transform it.

Thanks

Mike

Levi

« Reply #19 on: 13 Feb 2007, 01:43 am »
Ah.  Ok not a problem.  Here is my Accord Suspension Setup:

[Shocks]: Koni SP3 adjustable (yellow)
[Springs]: Eibach Pro-kit
[Front drop]: 1.4"
[Rear drop]: 1.2"
[Camber kit(brand)]: SPC (rear)
[Who installed your setup?]: Myself

This my first Honda automobile.  I didn't know they are so easy to work on and cheaper to maintain. 
Let's see, my son is 10 now so probably this car will last 10 more years then would be his first car.  :)