Florida Coast to Coast Audio Show

GentleBender

Florida Coast to Coast Audio Show
« on: 7 Oct 2015, 05:10 pm »
After reading and stalking all the great audio shows lately, I decided to host my own here in Florida.

The first room was so good it brought tears to my eyes. Acoustic treatments were not needed and the depth and emotion were out of this world.

Second room had a desktop setup, but this guy was hogging it to himself and would not budge. I moved on to the next room to check out the Macbook Pro setup.

Wouldn't you know it! Wish they would quit playing R.E.M. Everybody Hurts at this show. Well on to the next room.

This is just me realizing that I live in an audiophile wasteland no vendor cares about.  :cry:

I recently asked a vendor why no audio shows in Florida, he explained that there are not many audiophiles here so it is not worth the effort. I'm like, WHAT!? We have so many retired people you would think there would be plenty of people with time and money to support audio here. I would say the weather is much nicer here than most northern states, but California rules that out.

Thanks to all of those that share the Audio show experiences with those of us who don't have that option without spending serious money to go. I could be using that travel money for gear!  8)

Phil A

Re: Florida Coast to Coast Audio Show
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2015, 05:28 pm »
It's true that there are not as many audiophiles concentrated in FL (and I'm near the east coast too).  I moved from Northern VA just under two years ago.  There were many more B&M stores there and selling something either here or on Audiogon brought many more responses.  But we do have things like the Space Coast Audio Society with monthly meetings and some stores/vendors doing special things too.  I talked to Dynamic Sounds Associates (http://dynamicsounds-assoc.com/) at the recent Capital Audiofest.  They told me they planned some event on November 14 (I won't be around more than likely).

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2015, 05:40 pm »
Haha, I almost felt bad for you reading this ... then realized you already have a pair of Vapors  :lol:

What do you need an audio show for after reaching that mountain top, confirmation of a wise buying decision?

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2015, 05:45 pm »
It's easier just to go.  Went to the Capital Audiofest this year (moved from that area anyway so I'd been to previous ones) and tentatively plan to go to RMAF next year.  Besides, the pictures I take will be nicer than watching GentleBender take his annual bath :green:

GentleBender

« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2015, 06:54 pm »
Haha, I almost felt bad for you reading this ... then realized you already have a pair of Vapors  :lol:

What do you need an audio show for after reaching that mountain top, confirmation of a wise buying decision?
It is the Candyland of audio! I just want to hear stuff that I can never afford, like those Perfect Storms. A ton of stuff to see and hear, plus hanging with other audiophiles/audiophools. I'm happy to have found Audiocircle, but there is nothing like real life. Listening to a room on my iPad doesn't quite seem the same as sitting in the room.  :green:

I'm very happy with the Aurora speakers and if I wanted anything Vapor Audio makes bigger, I would need a much bigger room. Heck, I think a bigger room would make the Auroras sound even better since I could pull them out even more. I would need to purchase a large home for the Perfect Storms!

GentleBender

« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct 2015, 06:55 pm »
Besides, the pictures I take will be nicer than watching GentleBender take his annual bath :green:
That is not true! I do this after every audio show... :o

mav52

« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2015, 07:10 pm »
It's true that there are not as many audiophiles concentrated in FL (and I'm near the east coast too).  I moved from Northern VA just under two years ago.  There were many more B&M stores there and selling something either here or on Audiogon brought many more responses.  But we do have things like the Space Coast Audio Society with monthly meetings and some stores/vendors doing special things too.  I talked to Dynamic Sounds Associates (http://dynamicsounds-assoc.com/) at the recent Capital Audiofest.  They told me they planned some event on November 14 (I won't be around more than likely).

That event, I think its going to be in Deland.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2015, 07:11 pm »
That event, I think its going to be in Deland.

Chris - yes - that was my understanding.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 7 Oct 2015, 07:12 pm »
That is not true! I do this after every audio show... :o

I was not sure if the smell was from the Indian River Lagoon or you - sorry :lol:

GentleBender

« Reply #9 on: 7 Oct 2015, 10:26 pm »
Cool! Maybe I can go check that out in Deland. Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 7 Oct 2015, 11:45 pm »
Cool! Maybe I can go check that out in Deland. Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

I assume you are on the Space Coast Audio Society email list (it is free and although there are more than 85 on the list I think the most we've had at a get together is one quarter of that - I've had two and one had about 17 people and the other about 10 and probably about a dozen is average)?  I'd imagine that Chris Vogel who sends out the emails will be the one to notify of the event.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #11 on: 8 Oct 2015, 01:17 am »
Axpona was held in Jacksonville in 2012, did ok, move to Chicago and got about 5x bigger.
There are plenty audiophiles in FL, it's just that there is a heck of a lot else to do as well year round.
Tampa has an audio club that draws 20 or so per meeting every month. We've had manufacturers visit and been hosted by a local B&M for another manufacturers demos, etc.
As for having a regional show, best bet would be something akin to LSAF...just needs an organizer. Like one of the zillion+ retirees...

cheers,

AJ

GentleBender

« Reply #12 on: 8 Oct 2015, 09:00 pm »
I hadn't stepped on the banana peel of HIFi in 2012 yet. I will reach out to both Space Coast and Suncoast clubs and see when I might be able to take the drive and visit. I am leaning toward Tampa since I know a nice record store in St. Pete.

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 9 Oct 2015, 12:07 am »
I hadn't stepped on the banana peel of HIFi in 2012 yet. I will reach out to both Space Coast and Suncoast clubs and see when I might be able to take the drive and visit. I am leaning toward Tampa since I know a nice record store in St. Pete.

The next meeting of the Space Coast Audio Society is October 22.  It is in Maitland at the location of a dealer who works from his house (he has an addition in the back with a few systems and probably one more in the house).

electricbear

« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2016, 09:28 pm »
The Suncoast Audio guys can be found on Meetup. They try to have a meeting about every month.