Show coverage day 2

Pez

Re: Show coverage day 2
« Reply #20 on: 15 Oct 2011, 08:29 pm »
Teresonic

This the first full range driver room we've been in. I have to say I really like the way see speakers sound. They are natural, and full. As with most fullrangers they lack treble definition and bass fundamentals, but overall what is there is nice and well defined. The mid bass is very good and vocals are excellent.

Imaging is very nice!!! Focused and solid. Love the look of the amp.  :o

Tyson - Not bad for a single driver speaker.  Good pace, good extension, awesome cabinet work (they are like pieces of art).  But my personal bias is that single driver speakers should be banished to the same rung of hell that OTL amps occupy.  Perhaps I'm not the best person to comment on rooms like this....
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2011, 07:51 am by Pez »

intamin22

« Reply #21 on: 15 Oct 2011, 08:30 pm »
I may have missed it in a previous post, but what Tool song are you using? Thanks for the great coverage!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #22 on: 15 Oct 2011, 08:43 pm »
 Great stuff, many Thanks.  :thumb:

Pez

« Reply #23 on: 15 Oct 2011, 09:09 pm »
We are using the tool song The Grudge.

We are at lunch right now and exhausted.  :|

About to head over to canjam.

roscoeiii

« Reply #24 on: 15 Oct 2011, 09:32 pm »
Ohhh, I'd love to hear impressions of the new Audeze LCD-3 from over at CanJam. And is the Schiit Bitfrost hooked up anywhere at RMAF?

Pez

« Reply #25 on: 15 Oct 2011, 09:37 pm »
Ugh,m y headphones are MIA. Sorry for the delay. I'll be posting soon.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #26 on: 15 Oct 2011, 09:43 pm »
Audio artistry/parts express

...a little congested. Other than that great bass slam excellent dynamics...

Spectacular coverage!  Many thanks! 

I thought "Audio Artistry" was Linkwitz' speaker company?

Also seems like "great bass slam" and "excellent dynamics" would not sound "congested"...only comment if time allows.

Carry on! 

Pez

« Reply #27 on: 15 Oct 2011, 09:51 pm »
Can jam finally!!!

Woo audio

Godly looking equipment here this amp can be adapted with little pucks that allow you to hook up different tubes like 45s, 2a3, etc etc. the sound was pretty damn amazing though the hd800s.

Tyson - I hate the HD800's.  There, I said it.  I'm a Beyer T1 guy.  But even I have to admit that the HD800's sounded GREAT via these ridiculously over the top Woo Audio dual monoblock headphone/SET amps.  Canjam is where it's AT.  The rest of RMAF?  Old fogey's listening to elevator jazz and 70's rock.  Canjam?  Tool, Radiohead, Bjork, and Lady Gaga, BABY!!!!!
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2011, 07:55 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #28 on: 15 Oct 2011, 10:09 pm »
JH audio

Lt me just say it. JH audio is the best period. I have always thought so and this year I am tempted to get yelled at by the wife by purchasing the IEMs.  The JH13s are gorgeous sounding. Wow, that's it!!!

They do things with compressed AAC music that my hi Rez active crossover SET ribbon setup at home can't do and that's saying a lot. I'm in love.

Tyson - Last year I almost died at the JH Audio booth.  Seriously, Jerry Harvey (ie, JH), nearly leapt over the booth and strangled me to death when I said his JH13's sounded like my Sensaphonic 2X-S in ear monitors.  He's a crazy tattoo'd dude that could probably take down me and Pez without even breaking a sweat.  Luckily I said "Hey, look over there, it's Bob Hope!" and made my escape.

This year I was clever - I brought my Sensaphonics for a head to head death match show down!  Obviously, since I'm typing this, I'm still alive.  Just as obviously, my sensaphonics lost the showdown.  The JH13's are the best IEM's I've heard, ever, period.  Maybe the best of any audio gear, ever.  Yes, they are that good.  Yes I covet them.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2011, 08:01 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #29 on: 15 Oct 2011, 10:37 pm »
Sorry for the abysmal can jam coverage guys. We didn't spend very much time there unfortunately.

We are now listening to the Ayon/avm system.

It's pretty rockin!!! I'm not so hot on the way the system is balanced but it has a pretty high groove factor none the less. Crazy looking speakers. you can definitely tell they are horn loaded they have quite a bit of dynamics. And image quite well. But again the balance is very very dry and really lacks body.

Tyson - crazy good dynamics on this system, maybe the best dynamics of any speaker at the show.  No, scratch that, they had THE best dynamics of any speaker here, so far.  But they also had ear piercing treble that crushed any enjoyment I might have derived from this system.

Yes those are all black treasure tubes!!!!!!!!!

Tyson - Pez, you are a dork.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2011, 08:04 am by Pez »

gary

« Reply #30 on: 15 Oct 2011, 10:42 pm »
Awesome coverage, thanks for putting in all the effort.

How were you able to listen to the JH13's? Did they have some made with straight barrels for the show? I would love to get these, but the thought of investing that kind of money in IEMs without hearing them first is not an easy one.

gary

Pez

« Reply #31 on: 15 Oct 2011, 10:57 pm »
Emerald physics

Not much to look at in this room. Just the speakers and the equipment by the computer. Any way it sounds very pinched up. Not very full sounding IMO. Great soundstage and imaging. A bit distant sounding (in this case that is not meant in a positive way.) the speakers do a great job of disappearing though!

Tyson - Open Baffle speakers with no room treatment?  Really?  Don't you want people to like these speakers?  OB's can sound GREAT, but they need room treatment even more than box speakers do.  Yes, I see you have a DCX running them and EQ for room modes.  But electronic EQ can NEVER compensate for a poor room.  Trust me, its a fool's errand and I've been down that road many, many times....
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2011, 08:07 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #32 on: 15 Oct 2011, 11:00 pm »
Awesome coverage, thanks for putting in all the effort.

How were you able to listen to the JH13's? Did they have some made with straight barrels for the show? I would love to get these, but the thought of investing that kind of money in IEMs without hearing them first is not an easy one.

gary

Gary they had some special sets with these removable foam ends that fit pretty well. Obviously the only way to buy them is custom which is great, but you can't take em home from the show, which is probably a good thing for me as well. :D

Pez

« Reply #33 on: 15 Oct 2011, 11:08 pm »
Lowther room

So we were coaxed into coming into this room. Listening to dsotm on vinyl. Imaging is pretty damn good. It's more than pretty damn good it's very phenomenally excellently great. (running out of steam and adjectives can you tell) it can sound pretty shouty at times, but never erring in maintaining integrity. I've got somewhat mixed feelings about this sound I guess.

Tyson - Finally, a single driver speaker I like!!!!!  Oh, wait...   :wink:

Seriously though, I did not like this system from the 1st row and gladly gave up the sweet spot to Pez.  But then a funny thing happened.  In the 2nd row the sound just gelled and lost the stridency I heard from the front row.  Ah, now we are talking!  Good imaging, bass, and soundstage.  I'm still not a lowther guy, but I gotta give props when a room works, and this one did  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2011, 08:11 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #34 on: 15 Oct 2011, 11:22 pm »
Redwine audio

This room sound remarkably balanced on the sibilieus. The violin sounds sweet and seductive. Wow, not t eying to be over bassy almost like they were balanced before just turning them on.  :wink:

Great soundstage and imaging on the ani difranco track. I'm really likening this little setup. Emotional and well balanced. Another set of speakers that disappear nicely. If you are at RMAF you need to check this room out for sure.

Now in to mahler. On the Mahker they do admirably and dynamics, but are not going to win award for gut punching visceral bass.

Tool from outside of the sweet spot sounds very energetic and confident. My head is bobbing, that's a good thing! Any way great room.

Tyson - Quiet.  Very Quiet.  Spooky Quiet!!  Noise floor?  WHAT noise floor?  3 things Red Wine did right that other manufacturers should sit up and take notice of - 1st, speakers are appropriately sized to the room.  2nd, they are pulled well out, away from the walls.  3rd, room treatments on the side walls.  Kudos to getting the fundamentals right!

Sound?  OK not too surprising - they were coherent, precise, punchy, and had a great soundstage.  Deeeeep bass was missing on the Mahler, but the mid and upper bass was great on Tool.  Overall, quite a good room.  And Vinnie is one of the coolest people we talked to today  8)
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2011, 08:18 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #35 on: 15 Oct 2011, 11:49 pm »
Odyssey finally!!!

So the new speakers look amazing.  Klaus told us the drivers alone cost something like $1900!!!! The sound quality is tremendous already on the sibilieus.

Difranco sounds very nice as well. The speakers are a bit clos to the wall and the soundstage is not as deep as I can tell it wants to be.  The separation in background vocals is pretty good. Balance is excellent overall. Klaus really did a great job with this setup overall.

Mahler: good dynamics. A bit bright on the cymbal, but we are in very close to the speaker. In a properly setup room I doubt it would be an issue.

Tool: wow!!! They jump at you in the opening of the grudge. Great bass slam. Damn thts impressive for a small speaker like this. Again I think the room is a bit of an issue sometimes verging on shouty, wish we had a room about 4-6' bigger in both directions. Overall Id put this room in the same category as many of the best we've heard. Awesome job klaus and Alex.  :thumb:

Tyson - Last year I said the Odyssey room sounded great, as always.  The same is true this year, only more so.  Much, much more so.  They always have a good, rockin' sound here, but this year the refinement jumped up a bunch of notches.  On the Sibelius track, the oboe solo that accompanies the violin is the best I heard at the show.  The speakers scaled very nicely on the Mahler 5th, and they had deeeeep bass on the Tool track, surprising given their size.  I think Klaus needs to treat the room more heavily to do these speakers justice, as things got hard and a bit glassy when the volume got really loud, but for $3500, these speakers are a steal.  I think he should charge at least double that, but lucky (for you people) he disagrees :P
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2011, 08:27 am by Pez »

Pez

« Reply #36 on: 16 Oct 2011, 01:47 am »
At dinner with the AC crew at one of the best steak houses in the state. We are having a blast! Woodsyi is drunk off his ass and dancing on the table.  :wink:

kip_

« Reply #37 on: 16 Oct 2011, 02:08 am »
Spectacular coverage!  Many thanks! 

I thought "Audio Artistry" was Linkwitz' speaker company?

Carry on!

These speakers are a collaboration between Rick Craig at Selah Audio, Don Keele, and Parts Express. I think they're called the "Next Step". No idea if that name is official:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92134.0

jackman

« Reply #38 on: 16 Oct 2011, 03:50 am »
These speakers are a collaboration between Rick Craig at Selah Audio, Don Keele, and Parts Express. I think they're called the "Next Step". No idea if that name is official:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92134.0

Thanks for the update.  I recall Rick posting info on those speakers a while back.  Checked out Keele's website, very cool stuff.  Those are amazing looking speakers and I hope to hear them someday.

Also, congrats to Klaus and Odyssey for making their new line look really cool.  I am happy they sound as good as they look and have no doubt they will be successful. 

Cheers,

J

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #39 on: 16 Oct 2011, 04:00 am »
...while Parasound is on it's own (John Curl's company)

Curl is only a hired gun (designer) for Parasound.

dave
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2011, 07:44 am by planet10 »