Spade or Banana?

Fullvolume

Spade or Banana?
« on: 7 Feb 2009, 09:38 pm »
Does it just come down to personal preference if both the amp and speakers will accept both connectors?

bummrush

Re: Spade or Banana?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2009, 10:43 pm »
I never understood spades,seems to prone to loosen up,

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2009, 01:01 am »
I use both (have Rel subs attached in addition to speakers).  There are also different quality connectors so it's hard to make a generalization.  I make sure mine are properly fastened (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-binding-post-wrench-double/dp/B0009XQUAM) too.  Banana plugs can be more convenient to take on or take off.  Tinning the end of speaker wire with good quality solder is also good.

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2009, 01:37 am »
... I make sure mine are properly fastened (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-binding-post-wrench-double/dp/B0009XQUAM)...

Hah, all these years, and I never knew they made binding post wrenches!!  FYI, eBay has them for $9.95 with FREE shipping!

geezer

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2009, 02:37 am »
I prefer bananas for the convenience, but spades have the advantage that you can tighten them down to be sure you have a good connection.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2009, 03:26 am »
Spades on the speaker end and bananas on the amp end. There never seems to be enough room for spades behind the amp so bananas it is, and BFA bananas only.

stereocilia

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2009, 03:30 am »
BUT, if the speaker terminals are closely spaced then a pull on the wire can short a spade connection by turning on the post.  Don't ask me how I know. 

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2009, 07:36 am »
... I make sure mine are properly fastened (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-binding-post-wrench-double/dp/B0009XQUAM)...

Hah, all these years, and I never knew they made binding post wrenches!!  FYI, eBay has them for $9.95 with FREE shipping!

Make sure you know your post size before you order.  My speakers and amps were all made in the good old US of A but they have metric (12mm) size posts.  The above mentioned wrench will not work on them.  Trust me, I know because I have that wrench. I ended up using a 12mm deep socket with a piece of bicycle inner tube stretched over it to give me a better grip. Works great but I prefer bananas. 

I hate the Eurotrash plastic covered posts.  They are supposed to be safe but the irony is they are more dangerous when used with spades. I can never get them to tighten enough or the spade to insert all the way.  One little bump of a wire and it acts like a lever and loosens the connection--out pops the spade.  ZAAAAP, there goes an amp or speaker.  Why do I always feel so insecure when one government or another protects me?

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2009, 08:48 am »
I only use locking bananas,  since they are relatively easy to make a good tight connection but no tools needed to undo it when necessary.  I use DH Labs due to nice price and high copper content but I'm sure there's other good ones out there too,  certainly Cardas and WBT come to mind....

denjo

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2009, 10:33 am »
I have always felt safer with spades even though some audiophiles feel that spades provides for better contact (and overall music)!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2009, 11:05 am »

Make sure you know your post size before you order.  My speakers and amps were all made in the good old US of A but they have metric (12mm) size posts.  The above mentioned wrench will not work on them.  Trust me, I know because I have that wrench. I ended up using a 12mm deep socket with a piece of bicycle inner tube stretched over it to give me a better grip. Works great but I prefer bananas. 

I hate the Eurotrash plastic covered posts.  They are supposed to be safe but the irony is they are more dangerous when used with spades. I can never get them to tighten enough or the spade to insert all the way.  One little bump of a wire and it acts like a lever and loosens the connection--out pops the spade.  ZAAAAP, there goes an amp or speaker.  Why do I always feel so insecure when one government or another protects me?

Hi Don,

The Bryston connectors are plastic exteriors (for safety requirements as you say but heavily gold plated interiors for a quality contact surface) but we have a slot where our custom spade fits in and there is no way they can twist.

james

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2009, 02:37 pm »
BUT, if the speaker terminals are closely spaced then a pull on the wire can short a spade connection by turning on the post.  Don't ask me how I know. 

And whats up with that. How many of you have seen an amp with lots of room in the back and they have the rca's and the speaker terminals all shoved in a little space in the middle of the amp. God new enough to keep the input and output as far apart and  separated as far as reasonably possible.

ED

Don_S

« Reply #12 on: 8 Feb 2009, 05:14 pm »

Hi Don,

The Bryston connectors are plastic exteriors (for safety requirements as you say but heavily gold plated interiors for a quality contact surface) but we have a slot where our custom spade fits in and there is no way they can twist.

james

Jim,  Sorry, I forgot where I was (Bryston Owners Circle).  I was not referring to the Bryston posts. I have never had the pleasure.  I also realize you have to meet European "safety" requirements.

stereocilia

« Reply #13 on: 8 Feb 2009, 09:49 pm »

And whats up with that. How many of you have seen an amp with lots of room in the back and they have the rca's and the speaker terminals all shoved in a little space in the middle of the amp. God new enough to keep the input and output as far apart and  separated as far as reasonably possible.

ED

As far as binding posts go, some manufactureres do it so that the "double banana" type connector will fit, but who knows why the rcas would be so close.